The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 01, 2018, 04:19:42 PM
True. A lot of this is emotional. If you look at it in a 'cold' way, as you put it, I can see the logic.

However, for me, the possible things that child could be, or do, or what it might feel or contribute to society, all make it very difficult for me to agree with aborting the pregnancy where the baby would have a perfectly healthy start to life.

For cases like rape and incest, or where fatal foetal abnormalities are detected, I do have a more sympathetic view, although a rapist's baby is not at fault for the sins of the father, I can still see the emotional turmoil a situation like that would lead to.

** Sorry, I was responding to Syf here, but yes Seanie, one thing I agree with you on is that this is very complex question, and neither a blanket ban, nor open season, are the way to go. Leaving this in the hands of politicians is also something I am uneasy with. Look at Simon Harris, and the way his department are handling the Cervical Cancer issue. Do you trust that lad to draft legislation? And if the elective abortions is legislated, do you really, really believe that effective supports would be put in place to make more women choose to keep the baby? Pardon my French, but it will in my arse. This will be seen as an answer to a societal problem, and if anything there will be less supports and less incentive for people to see the pregnancy through.

Of course I'd be sceptical - I think a lot of the talk about this is absolute hypocrisy. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. People focus on the headline issue when societies ills run much deeper. Why are women seeking abortions for non health related reasons? Are they just mindless murderers? Personally I do not think so and to view it/them as such shows a poor grasp of reality or a lack of willingness to face facts. Interesting example above mentioned of a woman electing for an abortion for career reasons - even citing that as an example indicates a deeper societal issue. There's no way a woman should think that way but of course they do because it does in many cases impact their careers.

To be fair - I'm the first to criticise politicians but what other option do we have to our democracy? And in the case you mention I think we'll all eventually find out it is Mary Harney who is holding the smoking gun. Not that Harris is anything to defend.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on May 01, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
Repeal the law, and you'll see abortions during your lunch hour. It'll become so common it'll be like getting a tooth filled. Once you go there, there's no way back.

This talk of an abortion because having a child is an inconvenience to career etc, well there's no excuse these days. Plenty of birth control methods easily available.

Nearly 200,000 abortions in England and Wales annually. That's 2 million in a decade. Just think about that for a minute.

You are aware that thousands of Irish women each year are having abortions either by travelling to Britain or ordering pills online? They're among that number. Reducing that number should be the main goal of everyone. A Yes or No vote in isolation will not impact that one little bit.

Tony Baloney

Lads can this be moved to the new 8th Amendment thread rather than LLS.

An Watcher

Thought I would tune into this last night, it being from London  and all.  Wish I hadn't as it was pretty poor and the standard of guest wasn't great either.  I mean McCarthy and mcguigan.  The whole McCarthy interview was cringe and I don't think he particularly enjoyed it himself.  Not sure if it improved after that as I turned it off

laoislad

Quote from: An Watcher on October 13, 2018, 08:19:21 AM
Thought I would tune into this last night, it being from London  and all.  Wish I hadn't as it was pretty poor and the standard of guest wasn't great either.  I mean McCarthy and mcguigan.  The whole McCarthy interview was cringe and I don't think he particularly enjoyed it himself.  Not sure if it improved after that as I turned it off
McCarthy got pretty annoyed with him alright. Tubs didn't know what to do when he wouldn't answer questions on Saipan. It was a stupid thing to be bringing up anyway, it was a night about Irish people living in Britain. I would have preferred to hear McCarthy talking about his upbringing or the like than going over Saipan for the millionth time. He'd just started to talk about his Dad being from Waterford and going to hurling matches when Tubridy thought it be funny to make jokes about there being two civil wars in Ireland, one being Saipan. If things don't go according to the script he gets lost.
Also was Imelda May high or drunk? Seemed to me she didn't know the words of Sweet Sixteen and was a bit dopey throughout her interview.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

The problem with last nights show was it had all the usual guests except they were being interviewed in London. Was a great opportunity to have a few  'New' guests in. Topics like Brexit were begging to be discussed last night.

BennyCake

Quote from: An Watcher on October 13, 2018, 08:19:21 AM

Mick/barry interview was poor. Was interested to hear about his background but tubs killed it. Was an odd duo anyway, and neither got adequate time to talk.

balladmaker

Poor show, same guests in a different city.  Finbar Furey/Imelda May duo was awful, had to be the worst rendition of a great song I've ever heard.  Imelda seemed to be on something, she seemed a little bit slow on the pickup last night.  McGuigan/McCarthy interview awful, some of the audience chats were no better. What is it about RTÉ that they can take an idea with potential and turn it into a load of crap. 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 13, 2018, 09:55:56 AM
The problem with last nights show was it had all the usual guests except they were being interviewed in London. Was a great opportunity to have a few  'New' guests in. Topics like Brexit were begging to be discussed last night.

Wasn't it discussed at the end of the show? didn't watch it as seeing Nigel Farages face on TV was enough to change the channel.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 13, 2018, 09:55:56 AM

What I saw was excellent. They interviewed crowd members and even the famous people were very heart felt in what it was like being away from home. And they had Nigel Farrage (probably the most questionable decision) on at the end so Brexit was definitely a big topic. Probably the best Late Late in years outside of the Toy Show.

snoopdog

It was a back slapping exercise. Look at us arent we great. Mcguigan shouldve been questioned about the frampton cash and courtcase. Finbar furey is on constantly. Oh and of course the constant apology for the moronic northeners who gave the rest of the country a bad name for so long. Very poor show. No new vuests same sh1t just a diff stage this time 

Syferus

Quote from: snoopdog on October 13, 2018, 07:01:52 PM
It was a back slapping exercise. Look at us arent we great. Mcguigan shouldve been questioned about the frampton cash and courtcase. Finbar furey is on constantly. Oh and of course the constant apology for the moronic northeners who gave the rest of the country a bad name for so long. Very poor show. No new vuests same sh1t just a diff stage this time

Yeah, a celebration of the dispora is the time to amush McGuigan with questions about a court case. Would ya ever get over yourself.

Mindlessly parroting the 'Late Late is shît' skit even when it's quite obviously not shows a remarkable dedication to dogma.

mrdeeds

I actually thought Farage came across well in the debate and I'm not a fan.

Farrandeelin

Mario Rosenstock on tonight...again. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Peter O'Mahony on celebrating his friendly win.