Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruella De Vil

Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
I have massive time for Cahir Healy, and I realise he loves the hurling, but at this point its becoming like a waste of talent seeing him marooned like this. Our best footballing back in 20 years or so, is shipping 40 point beatings while hurling. You've done enough Cahir, go off and give the football a few years. No one will begrudge you it. I realise its not all sunshine over there either, but at the same time, go on.

As for our hurling, and where we go from here. God only knows. Maybe the brains calling for Cheddar to leave can tell us.

Cahir is obviously a very committed lad, and a good defender in football, but our best footballing back in 20 years...., not a chance, not even in the top 6. All stars Higgins, Kelly, also Fennelly, McMahon, Kevin Fitz, Darren Rooney all a good distance better. He'd obviously be a serious addition to what is currently a weak panel all the same.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on March 12, 2017, 09:09:58 PM
Fairly obvious where his loyalties lie.

I'd say jumping ship when he's needed most wouldnt as much as cross his mind either.

Your football bias is showing
I think my history shows my bias is with hurling.

Don Draper

Quote from: Cruella De Vil on March 12, 2017, 10:17:15 PM
I have massive time for Cahir Healy, and I realise he loves the hurling, but at this point its becoming like a waste of talent seeing him marooned like this. Our best footballing back in 20 years or so, is shipping 40 point beatings while hurling. You've done enough Cahir, go off and give the football a few years. No one will begrudge you it. I realise its not all sunshine over there either, but at the same time, go on.

As for our hurling, and where we go from here. God only knows. Maybe the brains calling for Cheddar to leave can tell us.

Cahir is obviously a very committed lad, and a good defender in football, but our best footballing back in 20 years...., not a chance, not even in the top 6. All stars Higgins, Kelly, also Fennelly, McMahon, Kevin Fitz, Darren Rooney all a good distance better. He'd obviously be a serious addition to what is currently a weak panel all the same.
A silly argument, but theres no way any of the last 4 would even consider themselves a better defender than Cahir. I'll give you Joe and Tom as equals or marginally better, but both benefited from playing with better players and manager at their peak.

We're moving away from my argument though, Cahir has given dedicated commitment to the hurlers for a few years now, no one would begrudge him giving a few to the football before it gets too late.

Cruella De Vil

Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2017, 10:21:25 PM
Quote from: Cruella De Vil on March 12, 2017, 10:17:15 PM

A silly argument, but theres no way any of the last 4 would even consider themselves a better defender than Cahir. I'll give you Joe and Tom as equals or marginally better, but both benefited from playing with better players and manager at their peak.

We're moving away from my argument though, Cahir has given dedicated commitment to the hurlers for a few years now, no one would begrudge him giving a few to the football before it gets too late.

Not silly don, just completely disagree. Joe, Tom & Fennelly were arguably 3 of the best in their positions in the country, no way was/is cahir in that league. Different debate for different thread, don't mean to derail. But silly, No.

redsetanta

In fairness I thought we worked and scored some great points but the difference in first touch and catching the ball was evident. One passage of play summed it up when either Conroy or Taylor (could be wrong) was through on goal but failed to catch the sliotar. 10 points in it at the time and instead of having it down to 7 Limerick went up the field and put 13between us. That was the end of it really. Lads tried hard and for patches we did ok but as someone else already said we had no impact from the bench and some of the lads on the pitch weren't up to it on the night. We have 3 or 4 lads that might improve things but that's where we're at right now. It would be an achievement to be able to play 70 minutes againt the 'tier 2' teams and not ship a 20 plus defeat. Both Offaly and to a lessor extend Kerry are not getting the same hammerings as we are and yet we'd fancy our chances against them.
At least they battled until the end.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2017, 10:18:16 PM

I'd say jumping ship when he's needed most wouldnt as much as cross his mind either.

And yet your telling someone we desperately need to jump ship to football?

Your completely wrong in this instance.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on March 13, 2017, 11:26:24 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2017, 10:18:16 PM

And yet your telling someone we desperately need to jump ship to football?

Your completely wrong in this instance.
Not at all, merely saying no one would begrudge him if he did. He may love the Hurling more but he's far better footballer and at this stage of his career would be as well off there. No need to be so tetchy over it, it's merely an opinion. I doubt he'll read this and make a decision accordingly. There's no right or wrong.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I would have to agree with Don regarding Cahir Healy, he's a very good hurler but he really ooze's class as a footballer.
For his own sake I hope he gives the football another go, it's a shame to see talent like he has go to waste...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

clonadmad

When we need stability and all hands on deck

Ye are suggesting that Healy jumps ship

There's bound to be another few decent soccer and football prospects on the panel,maybe they should leave too.

Some small case could be made if the footballers were flying,but they will be lucky if they aren't Div 4 bound.

It's no wonder we are,where we are and never will be any different.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on March 14, 2017, 10:24:26 AM
When we need stability and all hands on deck

Ye are suggesting that Healy jumps ship

There's bound to be another few decent soccer and football prospects on the panel,maybe they should leave too.

Some small case could be made if the footballers were flying,but they will be lucky if they aren't Div 4 bound.

It's no wonder we are,where we are and never will be any different.
Its a different situation to a soccer player or rugby, Cahir is a different beast to anyone else. And if any hurler got a chance to make a shot of it at professional soccer or football, best of luck to them too.

The reason we are where we are, has f**king nothing to do with Cahir Healy.

Clubber Lang

Let's be realistic. Cahir has gone above and beyond to stay playing inter-county and his first love is hurling. I'm thankful of the commitment he continues to show to the county hurlers. We have an exceptionally young, inexperienced squad and having a leader/experienced player like Cahir there is crucial to their development. Cahir could easily have walked away/returned to football when 7/8 other more established senior players left the panel for a number of different reasons at the end of the 15' season. He might never win anything playing with the Laois hurlers but what he will contribute may help pave the away for more successful Laois teams of the future. I've no doubt that the young lads on the Laois hurling panel are appreciative/learning a lot from the example being set by Cahir and from having him on the panel.

I only was able to watch the game afterwards on TV (knowing the score) but it would appear to me that we were constantly asking our defense to go man to man. Limerick, intelligently left huge space between the full forward and half forward line. This meant that every time one of their forwards beat his opponent there was automatically an over-lap created and the full-back line left completely exposed. It was incredible how easily Limerick created their goal chances and we need to seriously readdress this failing before the championship commences. We seemed to have learned nothing from the first day when Kerry rifled two goals into the Laois net in a minute with 10 minutes to play. We were overly exposed in the back-line then and we continue to be now. We need to be able to fill that space between the half back line and full back line so that if a defender is beaten that he has adequate support there to protect the goal. While it was a walloping in the end there were moments of positivity. Should have reduced the Limerick lead to 7 points in second half with glorious goal chance spurned and we finished the game with 1-19. I do think our forward line has the capability of winning games against teams of a similar standard to ourselves. If we can provide our defense with more protection and have our half-back drop back a little deeper there is no reason why we cannot still avoid relegation and perhaps give Wexford a rattle in our final league game. They could possibly rotate their team for the Laois game now that they are assured of promotion. I would like to see Laois target this game and prove to themselves and us supporters that they are capable of competing at this level.       

SpeculativeEffort

Can we not play Paddy Purcell in a Tadgh De Burca type role? He is excellent on the ball, great in the air and can carry the ball through tackles. Surely that would reduce the number of goal chances. Perhaps when Whelan is back we can try this. It worked v Westmeath in relegation game last year very well.

redsetanta

We definately need an extra man in there between the two back lines.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

After being at the game and looking back on it on eirsport just now Its baffeling how much space we are leaving in the backs going man for man is not owrking against these Hurling super powers and something must be brought in to stop them shipping scores.

Is there any video analysis or stats being done how did we not learn one thing from the Galway game ...I know we have people in positions in football and hurling to provide this information but it looks like to me the information is not being used or it's not been transfered correctly ...

Glaring and so obvious against Galway where the space was and it wasn't corrected one bit against Limerick!
LAOIS ABÚ

Zooming around

Lots of talk that there will be an 8 team Division 1 next year. That would suit us better.