2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

What's the average age of that Galway side?
They look like a Sigerson team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 26, 2018, 10:19:37 AM
That scoreline doesn't tell the whole story. Galway missed 5 goal chances; Sweeney early on, Brannigan took his point but the goal was on, Walsh's missed chance, Sean Andy's wild shot when clear on goal and then the terrible pass from Armstrong to Walsh when only a few yards out. I think I might be missing another one?

I assume Heaney & Sean Andy got black cards for descent?

The kickouts continue to be a huge problem, Galway were under a lot of pressure during the 2nd half and must have kicked at least 4 in a row into Kerry hands.

Overall a very good performance from Galway and looked very dangerous everytime they went forward. Brannigan is a huge plus point, his shooting has stepped up a notch.

Kickouts/breaking ball and the overall midfield sector in general is likely to be the Galway Achilles heel moving forward, the pastings we've taken in the past two years have all come when the middle third has been cleaned out, particularly against Tipperary in 2016 and Roscommon in the Connacht Final of 2017.

Word of caution in that it's only February but at least there is a better cut to Galway these days, they clearly are well drilled and adhering to a plan. Whether that plan will lead to a successful summer is a very different question but Galway are at least showing effort, aggression and application, we've seen far too many Galway football teams that didn't meet those minimum level prerequisites lining out on the pitch over the past 10 years. There's plenty to work on yet but the wins have to build good confidence within the group at the very least.

Galway did well to get out of Tralee with the ref leaning decisions towards the home team and the 7 (!) minutes of additional time against that breeze. The closeness of the scoreline is their own fault really though, in that it's more so the missed goal chances that are a concern, those need to be buried at this level really, the three on one was totally butchered by Armstrong.
Whatever about fitness, and I think it's highly likely Galway are ahead of some other teams in this respect at the moment, you can't train pace, a nice few of the Galway starters have it now.

Galway have time to tailor the training schedule to aim for May 13th now as well given that Division One status is secure, this could be the biggest plus of the fast start to the league as the remaining results are only relevant to making a league final against the Dubs. Although maybe two tests against the best team to show up Galway's flaws in the most glaring manner mightn't be the worst thing long term for them either if it came to pass.

Main Street

Quote from: on the sideline on February 25, 2018, 11:58:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2018, 11:21:43 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on February 24, 2018, 07:15:51 PM
Anyone got a link to the tyrone game?
You'd have to be from Tyrone to post such a dumb request right after post which offered you a viable link to a quality stream of the the Monaghan v Tyrone game.

That link showed the Mayo Dublin game.
And after that game they showed the Monaghan game.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2018, 11:23:38 AM
That scoreline doesn't tell the whole story. Galway missed 5 goal chances; Sweeney early on, Brannigan took his point but the goal was on, Walsh's missed chance, Sean Andy's wild shot when clear on goal and then the terrible pass from Armstrong to Walsh when only a few yards out. I think I might be missing another one?

The kickouts continue to be a huge problem, Galway were under a lot of pressure during the 2nd half and must have kicked at least 4 in a row into Kerry hands.

Overall a very good performance from Galway and looked very dangerous everytime they went forward. Brannigan is a huge plus point, his shooting has stepped up a notch.

Kickouts/breaking ball and the overall midfield sector in general is likely to be the Galway Achilles heel moving forward, the pastings we've taken in the past two years have all come when the middle third has been cleaned out, particularly against Tipperary in 2016 and Roscommon in the Connacht Final of 2017.

Word of caution in that it's only February but at least there is a better cut to Galway these days, they clearly are well drilled and adhering to a plan. Whether that plan will lead to a successful summer is a very different question but Galway are at least showing effort, aggression and application, we've seen far too many Galway football teams that didn't meet those minimum level prerequisites lining out on the pitch over the past 10 years. There's plenty to work on yet but the wins have to build good confidence within the group at the very least.

Galway did well to get out of Tralee with the ref leaning decisions towards the home team and the 7 (!) minutes of additional time against that breeze. The closeness of the scoreline is their own fault really though, in that it's more so the missed goal chances that are a concern, those need to be buried at this level really, the three on one was totally butchered by Armstrong.
Whatever about fitness, and I think it's highly likely Galway are ahead of some other teams in this respect at the moment, you can't train pace, a nice few of the Galway starters have it now.

Galway have time to tailor the training schedule to aim for May 13th now as well given that Division One status is secure, this could be the biggest plus of the fast start to the league as the remaining results are only relevant to making a league final against the Dubs. Although maybe two tests against the best team to show up Galway's flaws in the most glaring manner mightn't be the worst thing long term for them either if it came to pass.
If we beat Monaghan on Sunday & the Dubs beat Kerry on Saturday then I believe it's a guaranteed Galway Dublin final?

Schkite

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2018, 09:39:18 AM
Boyle sports have Monaghan at 6/1 to be relegated. I can see them losing their next 3 matches but I can't see Tyrone and Mayo and Donegal pipping them given the fixtures.

:Monaghan have Galway (8) Donegal (2)  Dublin(8)

Mayo have Tyrone (2)  Donegal (2) Kildare (0)

Tyrone have Donegal (2) Mayo (2) Kerry (4)

Donegal have Tyrone (2) Mayo (2)  Monaghan (6)

Kildare have Donegal (2)
Mayo (2) Galway (8)

Sure isn't it a wonder Monaghan have any points on the board at all?

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2018, 12:56:39 PM
If we beat Monaghan on Sunday & the Dubs beat Kerry on Saturday then I believe it's a guaranteed Galway Dublin final?
Yeah, I think that's the case.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Jinxy on February 26, 2018, 11:02:39 AM
What's the average age of that Galway side?
They look like a Sigerson team.

Its about 23/24 and I'd expect it to get younger with 2 of the older players in the Sweeney twins to be replaced by Daly & Silke come the championship.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2018, 12:59:08 PM
Yeah, I think that's the case.

Thats right, if 2 teams are level its done on a head to head basis and only Monaghan could match Galway's 10 points.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2018, 11:23:38 AM

More or less. Galway could end up playing the Dubs twice in a few weeks.

On one hand games against top sides is great for a young team to experience and for them to develop. On the other hand Roscommon 2016 keeps being mentioned with regards to this Galway side. Will they burn though the league only to fizzle out come the Summer? Granted just because it happened to one team doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen to another. There is still a good few lads to come back to freshen things up between Daly, Cummins and the 5 or 6 Corofin lads that will join the squad.

Cunny Funt

Defensively is probably what is the most impressive thing about Galway in Div one this year. 0-8,0-14,0-11 and 0-14 is all that they have conceded in their games so far and from play even better with just 0-5,0-8,0-5,0-9 conceded.

Its seems Sean Andy O Ceallaigh is already living up to his potential as yesterday he marked and held one of the top forwards in country Paul Geaney scoreless.  Galway have a strong tradition for winning trophies and they are in a good position now to win their first national title since 2001 (not counting a Div 2 title) why shouldn't they go for it?

Maroon Manc

I can see the Roscommon comparisons but think they had a different set of circumstances, Roscommon lacked the physicality this Galway team have. Galway have 7 or 8 players to come back into the panel so would have a greater strength in depth too.

I'm sure Galway have learned lessons from what happened to Roscommon and it would be ridiculous error of judgement for Galway to replicate their mistakes.

Dublin fitness levels are ahead of most counties too, they may not have been training collectively for too long but their certainly fitter than most;

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 26, 2018, 02:53:01 PM
I can see the Roscommon comparisons but think they had a different set of circumstances, Roscommon lacked the physicality this Galway team have. Galway have 7 or 8 players to come back into the panel so would have a greater strength in depth too.

I'm sure Galway have learned lessons from what happened to Roscommon and it would be ridiculous error of judgement for Galway to replicate their mistakes.

Dublin fitness levels are ahead of most counties too, they may not have been training collectively for too long but their certainly fitter than most;

Roscommon had Leitrim in May and Sligo in late June in 2016. Not exactly Earth-shattering work. Galway have Mayo in McHale in mid-May and are going full championship pace at the minute. The gap between league ending and the championship starting has significantly narrowed in the last two years.

The 2016 version of the Roscommon team was much beefier than last year's or even this year's one so to say it lacked physicality would be a bit of a lie.

If Galway beat Monaghan two big beatings from Dublin may cap the league campaign for Galway which will present its own problems alongside burnout.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 26, 2018, 02:47:43 PM
Defensively is probably what is the most impressive thing about Galway in Div one this year. 0-8,0-14,0-11 and 0-14 is all that they have conceded in their games so far and from play even better with just 0-5,0-8,0-5,0-9 conceded.

Its seems Sean Andy O Ceallaigh is already living up to his potential as yesterday he marked and held one of the top forwards in country Paul Geaney scoreless. 

He has everything you want in a full-back alright. He's big, strong and athletic on top of it. Not slow either. He can run with forwards. Confident lad as well as can be seen how he's very comfortable carrying the ball up the field. Just lacks the experience of marking top forwards but that is just game time at this level. His shooting is not the best though judging by yesterday.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 26, 2018, 02:53:01 PM

I think you could say Roscommon never fully recovered from the league semi final trimming v Kerry that year and Galway and Clare that summer exploited their defensive weakness. Galway going extremely well right now and I don't see them changing the starting team from yesterday too much for the Mayo meeting in May. Galway should go on to reach the league final now against Dublin and so long as Galway avoid a trimming in the final they will be in a very good place for the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Duine Eile

Great to get a result like that in Kerry. Brannigan was excellent along with Sean Andy. Sean Kelly was good but I don't think he's ready yet he's still very light and prone to a lot of mistakes. RuairĂ­ Lavelle had a good enough first half and made 2 good saves at the end but he's determined to put his teammates under pressure between coming out of goal and constantly landing kick outs on top of congested areas, he kept going down the terrace wing in the second half where there was about 8 players waiting while th other wing had Sean Kelly or Damien Comer on his own, not to mention the 2 kicks that went over the sideline. He's not strong enough on the ball for all his venturing away from goal either, he reached the 45 yesterday before he passed the ball. Our finishing let us down badly yesterday, a lot of lads going for goal when the simple point was there to be taken, too many chances not taken that will be punished badly on other days. The back line did well, they were fairly steady through out. The black cards are adding up though, along with the yellows. Our discipline needs a bit of work, Conroy seems to make it his mission to get at least one yellow per game. Plenty to work on but that's Division 1 secured for another year which being honest nobody really expected before the campaign started.