2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Goals obviously change games but the way Tyrone were playing in general it's doubtful the result would have been that different.
If Tyrone fans want to console themselves that a decision made after 15 seconds, against a side that they were expected to comfortably defeat, fully determined the result then that's their prerogative.
In fairness given the 2 (I think) minutes of extra time in the first and the 4 in the second, it's hard to see how they could turn it around in basically a full 76 minutes.

Snapchap

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2018, 01:39:15 PM
Goals obviously change games but the way Tyrone were playing in general it's doubtful the result would have been that different.
If Tyrone fans want to console themselves that a decision made after 15 seconds, against a side that they were expected to comfortably defeat, fully determined the result then that's their prerogative.
In fairness given the 2 (I think) minutes of extra time in the first and the 4 in the second, it's hard to see how they could turn it around in basically a full 76 minutes.
Trust me it's no consolation. I expect Tyrone to be in the bottom half of the table. It's not long since we were relegated to Div 2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. It would just be disappointing to see it happen and to be able to trace it back to a refereeing error like that. An early goal is a big thing, as it leaving you chasing a game. On the hour mark yesterday, Tyrone looked like they were going to pull it back from the brink. If that goal hadn't been allowed...well who knows.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway were up 1-7 to 0-4 and were a man up, Tyrone should have been buried after that, it says a lot more about Galway's ongoing fragility than any Tyrone rearguard action.
If there's any Tyrone supporter that was actually at the match that thinks they were in with a shout only for the goal that's fine, I would disagree entirely.
Donegal got fucked by a double hop that wasn't pulled for literally the last score of the game to lose by a point, that's a decision to be moaning about.

Snapchap

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2018, 01:54:25 PM
Galway were up 1-7 to 0-4 and were a man up, Tyrone should have been buried after that, it says a lot more about Galway's ongoing fragility than any Tyrone rearguard action.
If there's any Tyrone supporter that was actually at the match that thinks they were in with a shout only for the goal that's fine, I would disagree entirely.
Donegal got fucked by a double hop that wasn't pulled for literally the last score of the game to lose by a point, that's a decision to be moaning about.

On 70 minutes, that goal was all that stood between the teams on the scoreboard. Most of the damage done by Galway was in the 15 minutes immediately after the goal. Would their tails have been up so much had the goal been disallowed? It's not beyond the realms of the imagination to suggest that it could have been a very different game had Galway not been awarded that goal. Again, I'm not suggesting that Tyrone definitely WOULD have won the game, but I am suggesting that there's more than a fair chance.

mouview

Quote from: Crete Boom on January 28, 2018, 11:30:22 PM

Here is me imaging Mayo's starting full forward line scored 4-27 from play in 5 championship matches in Croker park last season!!

Actually I had a look at Mayo's starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (no midfielders or half backs), and they averaged 12 points from play per game in the championship last year!!

Galway starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (again no midfielders or half backs) and they average 8 points from play in the championship last year!!

So Tyrone forwards must be on the up if they are only slightly worse than Mayo's forwards! ;)

Yes, but Mayo couldn't put away a Galway team there for the taking last June in Salthill, missed chance after chance after chance v Derry in C'bar and struggled to overcome an inferior Kerry side. Their best forward in 2017 was in his 30s and, damningly, Dublin won the AI with 45% possession. Although with a probable inferior defensive unit than what Mayo have now, Galway won 2 AIs because of what they had up front. Mayo are a very solid and hard-working side but it's knocking too much out of them to earn their scores against the stronger teams.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2018, 02:11:36 PM

Here is me imaging Mayo's starting full forward line scored 4-27 from play in 5 championship matches in Croker park last season!!

Actually I had a look at Mayo's starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (no midfielders or half backs), and they averaged 12 points from play per game in the championship last year!!

Galway starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (again no midfielders or half backs) and they average 8 points from play in the championship last year!!

So Tyrone forwards must be on the up if they are only slightly worse than Mayo's forwards! ;)

Yes, but Mayo couldn't put away a Galway team there for the taking last June in Salthill, missed chance after chance after chance v Derry in C'bar and struggled to overcome an inferior Kerry side. Their best forward in 2017 was in his 30s and, damningly, Dublin won the AI with 45% possession. Although with a probable inferior defensive unit than what Mayo have now, Galway won 2 AIs because of what they had up front. Mayo are a very solid and hard-working side but it's knocking too much out of them to earn their scores against the stronger teams.

God, Galway people still harping on about forwards they had nearly 20 years ago.  ;D

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Snapchap on January 29, 2018, 02:08:31 PM

On 70 minutes, that goal was all that stood between the teams on the scoreboard. Most of the damage done by Galway was in the 15 minutes immediately after the goal. Would their tails have been up so much had the goal been disallowed? It's not beyond the realms of the imagination to suggest that it could have been a very different game had Galway not been awarded that goal. Again, I'm not suggesting that Tyrone definitely WOULD have won the game, but I am suggesting that there's more than a fair chance.

Were you at the match?

mouview

Good analysis as usual AFA. Agree, Tyrone should have been buried yesterday; playing in Tuam, 50 mins with an extra man and 35 with the elements, Galway should have romped home. Don't like repeating it to death, but KW's decisions always seem to be a topic for discussion after Galway's matches, it's like he's a handbrake on the team. I mean, why bring on Army yesterday? A niggly match is no place for a man with a back condition to be managed, the game was over, as the referee blew the final whistle about 30 seconds later, we know what he can bring to the team. Why not throw in a young lad? Why delay so long always making changes?

For the game itself, perhaps for the first time ever under KW's reign the FB line wasn't the major problem. This time it has migrated outwards. It's very early but Sean Andy looks a good 'un and Kerin is spiky in the corner, even if unnecessarily narky at times. HB line was middling and too attack-oriented. Not Heaney's greatest fan, but he's more of a wing-forward anyway I think. C Sweeney will get destroyed by Dublin/Kerry and maybe sooner. Conroy mixed the good with the ordinary, it just doesn't look as if he'll ever be the player he promised to be once. Cooke ok. Shane Walsh needs to use his talent more in the service of the team, the odd scoring excursion is no longer enough. Maybe Div. I will finally teach him how to play county football. Comer should have been left at FF all through the second half and pile ball into him. Playing with an extra man and there was still only a lone forward for spells in the second half. Enough has been said of P Sweeney.

Yesterday's result probably only means that Tyrone will finish below us. Dublin/Kerry are likely guaranteed defeats and Donegal next week is no gimme, Letterkenny or no. Monaghan at home is a must-win so Mayo/Kildare games will be key I feel.

mouview

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2018, 02:21:27 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2018, 02:11:36 PM

God, Galway people still harping on about forwards they had nearly 20 years ago.  ;D

No. I'm harping on about the forwards Mayo don't have now.  :-\

Snapchap

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2018, 02:27:55 PM

Were you at the match?

For my sins. Is it beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that if an illegal goal was the only score separating the teams on 70 minutes, that it could have been a different result had the goal been disallowed? Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Galway mightn't have enjoyed such a blistering first 15 minutes had they not have been awarded the goal? Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Tyrone might have performed a bit better in the first 15 minutes had they not been hit with such a sucker punch in the first 15 seconds? I just don't think you can answer yes to any of those questions.

rosnarun

Quote from: Snapchap on January 29, 2018, 01:26:52 PM
Would the Tyrone V Galway game yesterday have seen a different outcome had Galway's goal been disallowed for over carrying? Just saw a video on twitter which shows a very clear 13 steps taken
https://twitter.com/donall_sally/status/957949947441229824
if they counted steps Con o callaghans early goeal in the AIF would have been ruled out , but that didn't happen either
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fuzzman

Snapchat, we were discussing that goal as well on the train home and whilst I didn't notice the foul on the ball we did think how much did it affect their mindset and how they are not good at chasing a game.
To me though Tyrone remind me of playing with the "brakes on" (del amitri song)
Nothing is done at pace or freedom any more. Everything is so rehearsed and calculated.
I was pointing out yesterday how often the default setting it to turn back and look for a pass behind you now as in someone off your shoulder to carry it rather than hit it into space or in front of a forward coming out to win it in front of his man.

It's all just so laboured and slow for me and worst of all predictable. In all sports if teams know what your gonna do and you do it then its easier for them to defend against. Remember Mulgrew's great goal against Armagh last year. That came from quick forward passing and off the ball running into space.

I'd say Brian Fenton must be relishing another bite at the red hand.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Snapchap on January 29, 2018, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2018, 02:27:55 PM

Were you at the match?

For my sins. Is it beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that if an illegal goal was the only score separating the teams on 70 minutes, that it could have been a different result had the goal been disallowed? Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Galway mightn't have enjoyed such a blistering first 15 minutes had they not have been awarded the goal? Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Tyrone might have performed a bit better in the first 15 minutes had they not been hit with such a sucker punch in the first 15 seconds? I just don't think you can answer yes to any of those questions.

Sure neither you nor I can prove a hypothetical either way of course, if you stretch it far enough nothing is beyond the realms of physical possibility at all in terms of what ifs. 

It's apparent that there's nothing I'm going to say that'll change your mind and vice versa. I can only judge the teams on what I witnessed actually happening yesterday, goal or no goal at the start, in my opinion Tyrone got what they deserved out of the match, nothing. Again that's only my opinion, you were there so had as good a view of things as myself and you have a differing viewpoint that I cannot get on board with, that's no harm either.
If the match was played again next Sunday I wouldn't be surprised if Galway lost by a greater margin than we won yesterday, Tyrone just didn't have a good day at the office.

Best of luck to ye in the remaining Division One matches anyway.

Farrandeelin

Snapchap typifies what went wrong for Tyrone. Blaming the ref is no good, the lack of introspection from posters like him cost Tyrone. 8)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 29, 2018, 03:10:08 PM
Snapchap typifies what went wrong for Tyrone. Blaming the ref is no good, the lack of introspection from posters like him cost Tyrone. 8)

Delusions of grandeur. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit