The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2011, 03:43:30 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 23, 2011, 03:22:23 PM
How badly does D'Arcy have to play before he's dropped?

By the law of averages he is due a good game which, when it arrives, will be used a justification for picking him. He has been a great player for us but I think he would actually benefit from being dropped for a game or two.

o'connell is worse that d'arcy
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: stew on February 23, 2011, 04:47:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2011, 03:43:30 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 23, 2011, 03:22:23 PM
How badly does D'Arcy have to play before he's dropped?

By the law of averages he is due a good game which, when it arrives, will be used a justification for picking him. He has been a great player for us but I think he would actually benefit from being dropped for a game or two.

o'connell is worse that d'arcy

Dunno, Pauli is probably a better line-out operator than D'Arcy.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2011, 01:21:48 PM
Good shout Dinny.

I had an inkling the Tuesday after the France game when I read the times and a few other papers since when all the talk was about territory and playing for position, so fully expected it. I think ROG has done well coming on but Sexton hasn't done anything wrong to step down, you could argue ROG has done enough in his cameo's to deserve a start and I'd have no issue with that as I think competition is healthy and very important. However this logic is flipped on it's head when Kidney then leaves D'Arcy in the team despite two awful performances. Very disappointed for McFadden as well, has done better than Earls imho but Bowe is our best winger.

Actually just really disappointed with that team and fully expect Scoltand to win by 8 - 11 points.

#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

I have much the same sentiments as you Dinny but I can't see Scotland winning this one especially with the injuries they have in the backline . . . they will create nothing and it will be an AWFUL game and we'll win it by 6.

CiKe

Faith in Kidney is gone at this stage, would echo sentiments of many about D'Arcy. Good to see Bowe back, but Kidney has made zero attempt to build a squad. I've no issues with DOC starting or Reddan but Stringer's head must be spinning, he's in out back in again and if O'Leary had made it, would have been dumped again no doubt... Along with Cullen I'd be surprised if he weren't more thana little f*cked off with their treatment.

Anyone close to the squad know what morale is like at all? To have guys busting their chops and never given a chance due to some people been undroppable can't be good I would imagine.

Main Street

Ireland should win pulling up, by a comfortable 6,7 or 8 points.

How come the hooker is always the lineout thrower? If the hooker isn't up to scratch, is there no other player who can do it?

Celt_Man

How in the name of jaysus did the Video Ref not award Italy a try there??????? Terrible decision

Good open exciting game all the same - 3 trys already in opening 20 mintues
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2011, 12:48:45 PM

How come the hooker is always the lineout thrower? If the hooker isn't up to scratch, is there no other player who can do it?

good question that. Like Golf, Rugby is a game steeped in traditions and rules so my guess is that always been tradition and a rule so wont be changed. No doubt some of the experts will correct me

http://jottingsonrugby.com/2010/09/15/rugby-line-out/
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thewobbler

I don't understand why ROG is back. There's 5-6 world cup positions that need to be sorted, but Deccie is experimenting with one that doesn't need sorted.

Hookers don't have to throw line ball in. The French used to give the honour to their scrumhalf. But for most of the world, hookers practice the skill from an early age, and logic says therefore should be better at it than the rest of their team. Also, if you look at the attacking platform a good lineout can provide, you need your taller men in the line and your more skilful men coming off it. That leaves your front row to do the throwing and lifting.

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on February 26, 2011, 03:29:02 PM
I don't understand why ROG is back. There's 5-6 world cup positions that need to be sorted, but Deccie is experimenting with one that doesn't need sorted.

Hookers don't have to throw line ball in. The French used to give the honour to their scrumhalf. But for most of the world, hookers practice the skill from an early age, and logic says therefore should be better at it than the rest of their team. Also, if you look at the attacking platform a good lineout can provide, you need your taller men in the line and your more skilful men coming off it. That leaves your front row to do the throwing and lifting.

Jees the Italians are giving it a fair lash fair play to them I hope they can do it!!!

DuffleKing

In theory, a taller man should be more accurate.

Maybe we've finally found Mick O'Driscoll's calling?

Main Street

Quote from: thewobbler on February 26, 2011, 03:29:02 PM
You should be able to understand the coachs' reasonings re selecting O'Gara, you just might not agree with them.

screenexile

BBC made a bad call hiring Serge Betsen!!

Denn Forever

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 26, 2011, 03:17:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2011, 12:48:45 PM

good question that. Like Golf, Rugby is a game steeped in traditions and rules so my guess is that always been tradition and a rule so wont be changed. No doubt some of the experts will correct me

http://jottingsonrugby.com/2010/09/15/rugby-line-out/

Don't think it is a rule.  Hooker usually one of the shorter men on the team, so wouldn't be in the lineout. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

But what skill does it take to throw the ball in accurately according to the call?
It does appear to be the preserve of the Hooker to do this job, regardless of his ability to do it, to the required standard.