Walter Cronc

Quote from: passedit on January 23, 2017, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2017, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 23, 2017, 03:47:14 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 23, 2017, 03:42:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2017, 02:00:56 PM
Squad named!

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-squad-six-nations-3200403-Jan2017/

When's the last time Sexton played for St Mary's I wonder?

Has Craig Gilroy ever played for Bangor??

Only noticed that. He must have changed as he's from Hollywood. Pretty sure he played for Dungannon. Bowe and Gilroy lucky to be on ahead of Adam Byrne. Gutted Sweetnam is injured. Looks the real deal.

Definitelt Bangor, very lucky to make this squad as he seemed to be well down the pecking order atm.

Was he not playing for Ulster A the other week!! Harsh on Byrne for sure.

gawa316

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2017, 03:49:43 PM

Only noticed that. He must have changed as he's from Hollywood. Pretty sure he played for Dungannon. Bowe and Gilroy lucky to be on ahead of Adam Byrne. Gutted Sweetnam is injured. Looks the real deal.

Will Greenwood has Byrne starting in his Lion's team!! Is he that good?

whitegoodman

Bowe is only there because he still has a central contract.  Wouldn't make the ulster bench if all were available.

Byrne has a lot of talent but Greenwood is talking sh1te

Walter Cronc

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 23, 2017, 08:11:38 PM
Bowe is only there because he still has a central contract.  Wouldn't make the ulster bench if all were available.

Agree!

trileacman

Wingers come and go like flavour of the month, sure wasn't Fitzgerald, Visser and Moyne were all "the next big thing" at one time or another.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on January 24, 2017, 08:43:36 PM

Wingers come and go like flavour of the month, sure wasn't Fitzgerald, Visser and Moyne were all "the next big thing" at one time or another.

To be fair Fitzgerald had a cruel run of injuries. Visser is dutch (say no more) and Ugo Moyne couldn't catch a cold!

Walter Cronc

What we reckon the starting line up will be on Saturday?

If everyone's fit I reckon

Kearney, Trimble, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

On the bench VdF may be unlucky to lose out to O'Mahony. You'd think Henderson & Earls will be in there also for their versatility.

Take Your Points

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 10:06:40 AM

Kearney, Trimble, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

On the bench VdF may be unlucky to lose out to O'Mahony. You'd think Henderson & Earls will be in there also for their versatility.

After 18 mins, Sexton back on bench, after 35 mins Kearney on the bench and after 44 mins Ryan off the field.  Henshaw may not last the game either and O'Brien is becoming increasing injury prone, not sure when he will have to be replaced.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2017, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 10:06:40 AM

After 18 mins, Sexton back on bench, after 35 mins Kearney on the bench and after 44 mins Ryan off the field.  Henshaw may not last the game either and O'Brien is becoming increasing injury prone, not sure when he will have to be replaced.

You could argue VdF is equally as effective on the field as SOB. Makes busts with great pace, good in lineout and gives away less pens (although SOB has cleaned up this aspect recently).

screenexile

Sexton aggravated his calf injury and is out for the weekend!!

Walter Cronc

O'Mahony out too. Jackson and VdF to step in. Both more than capable. The Ireland game plan isn't overly reliant on individuals so whilst it will be tougher on Saturday I'm still confident!

Hound

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
O'Mahony out too. Jackson and VdF to step in. Both more than capable. The Ireland game plan isn't overly reliant on individuals so whilst it will be tougher on Saturday I'm still confident!
Plenty of strength in the back row. The worry is Keatley and Scannell vying for the bench spot.

I would have thought Madigan would have been the better bench option, though haven't seen him play recently. Anyone see how he played in the European Cup v Ulster?

If all goes well with Jackson, it would probably best to keep him in place for Italy and try and get Sexton ready for the last 3 games.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on January 31, 2017, 02:10:37 PM
Plenty of strength in the back row. The worry is Keatley and Scannell vying for the bench spot.

I would have thought Madigan would have been the better bench option, though haven't seen him play recently. Anyone see how he played in the European Cup v Ulster?

If all goes well with Jackson, it would probably best to keep him in place for Italy and try and get Sexton ready for the last 3 games.

Yeah but remember Schmidt started Keatley ahead of Madigan in Rome in 2015. Can't see him picking up the phone now he's in France.

Agree regarding PJ to start against Italy if he does well which I think he will.

Hound

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 02:15:30 PM

Yeah but remember Schmidt started Keatley ahead of Madigan in Rome in 2015. Can't see him picking up the phone now he's in France.

Agree regarding PJ to start against Italy if he does well which I think he will.
Keatley has had some horror shows since then though. He has re-gained his form in recent months, but you'd have to worry that he's capable of a melt-down. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on January 31, 2017, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 02:15:30 PM

Keatley has had some horror shows since then though. He has re-gained his form in recent months, but you'd have to worry that he's capable of a melt-down. 

Oh I agree. Real shame that Carberry is injured. Keatley in my opinion isnt even Pro12 standard. Pray wee Poddy stays fit!! As mentioned earlier though I've every faith. The Schmidt game plan isn't built around individuals. The pack will need a huge game this Saturday though.