The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on November 26, 2016, 08:24:21 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 26, 2016, 08:09:44 PM
Henshaw is 23, I think it's fair to say his best years are ahead of him.

He has potential but has not produced in a regard that means he is the first name on the team sheet. I'm not slating the lad but there's a hype and reputation around him that is unjustified in an Ireland shirt. He was excellent for Connacht last year without doubt but I haven't seen that from him in the green and white of Ireland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11743242

Kiki paper marks him out of 10 in Chicago:

Robbie Henshaw 9
Smashing and clever defence, and one of Ireland's best. Finished by crashing over for game sealing try.

I'd say he is one of the first names on the team sheet these days. 9, 10 & 12 are cast in stone when everyone is fit. Fair play to Ringrose for really taking his chance though.

O'Driscoll was a freak and anyway Henshaw to be fair to him should be compared to D'Arcy. At 23 I think that comparison would had up well, so far. But George North was flying a couple of years ago and injuries etc look to have set him back. Hopefully Henshaw can stay fit.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Great end to the year doing the triple crown

quit yo jibbajabba

Does the Bomber not know there was a match on today

grounded

Given the number of injuries we had and given the manner of our defeat last wèek this was a fantastic result.

Dubh driocht

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on November 26, 2016, 08:38:43 PM

He has potential but has not produced in a regard that means he is the first name on the team sheet. I'm not slating the lad but there's a hype and reputation around him that is unjustified in an Ireland shirt. He was excellent for Connacht last year without doubt but I haven't seen that from him in the green and white of Ireland.

Robbie Henshaw 9
Smashing and clever defence, and one of Ireland's best. Finished by crashing over for game sealing try.

I'd say he is one of the first names on the team sheet these days. 9, 10 & 12 are cast in stone when everyone is fit. Fair play to Ringrose for really taking his chance though.

O'Driscoll was a freak and anyway Henshaw to be fair to him should be compared to D'Arcy. At 23 I think that comparison would had up well, so far. But George North was flying a couple of years ago and injuries etc look to have set him back. Hopefully Henshaw can stay fit.

Henshaw is bigger and stronger than either. More like a Southern Hemisphere centre IMHO. While Wales and England and France just go for bruisers in their backs the southern teams have big lads who can play ball. He's a rare combination for us.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on November 26, 2016, 10:23:24 PM

Robbie Henshaw 9

Henshaw is bigger and stronger than either. More like a Southern Hemisphere centre IMHO. While Wales and England and France just go for bruisers in their backs the southern teams have big lads who can play ball. He's a rare combination for us.
Is he a Rossie or from Westmeath ?

trileacman

Robbie Henshaw 9

Maybe but then you need an outside centre with real attacking quality like Conrad smith to really make hay. I think the henshaw Payne partnership is very pedestrian and rugby by numbers. Combine in the token sexton wrap around and I find our attacking play very blunt compared to the Southern Hemisphere. To be fair to England and Wales they have a back 3 who can cut loose. Brown, halfpenny and north can really run the broken field better than Trimble and Kearney. French rugby is all over the shop, they once had back play nailed down to a fine art. Jauzion, heymans, clerc, rougerie, ooiterenaud, the true golden generation.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 10:54:49 PM

Robbie Henshaw 9

He's from the bad side of the Shannon.

Cunny Funt

Robbie Henshaw 9

He played underage football with Westmeath.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 27, 2016, 12:03:09 AM

Robbie Henshaw 9

He played underage football with Westmeath.

Actually played senior championship for Athlone back in 2011, at wing forward. Was a handful. He's from Coosan, which is just outside Athlone right on the East side of the Shannon.

seafoid

What club do people on the Ros side of Athlone play for. Is it St Brigids or Clan or another team ?

shark

Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2016, 09:35:35 AM
What club do people on the Ros side of Athlone play for. Is it St Brigids or Clan or another team ?

Clan out the Ballinasloe road. Brigids out the Roscommon road. That's my blunt understanding.

Sportacus

Genuine question to the rugby folk on here - what's the thinking behind Conor Murray's box kicks?  It's obviously part of the game plan because he does it regularly, but it just looks to me like he's giving the ball away.  He did it with a few minutes to go yesterday when I swore the right thing to do was stick it up the jumper for a few minutes and run down the clock. 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Sportacus on November 27, 2016, 09:32:44 PM
Genuine question to the rugby folk on here - what's the thinking behind Conor Murray's box kicks?  It's obviously part of the game plan because he does it regularly, but it just looks to me like he's giving the ball away.  He did it with a few minutes to go yesterday when I swore the right thing to do was stick it up the jumper for a few minutes and run down the clock.
he wouldn't be allowed do it for Connacht
they just hold onto the ball and don't give it away