The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 18, 2013, 01:23:06 PM
i thought Eoin Reddan was terrible as well, a disaster defensively, and far to slow to get the ball moving when ireland are on the front foot

Unlike O'Driscoll, O'Connell, Ross etc, I can't remember a game or a period where I thought Reddan - good player.

He is an ordinary passer, ordinary decision maker, average kicker, weak tackler and has an average break.

The other options over the years have been deficient in some areas but always offered at least one big strength. Think of Stringer's pass & Conor Murray's physicality. At international  level Reddan is maybe useful against a tiring team for the last 15 but that is about it.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AQMP on November 18, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on November 18, 2013, 01:41:39 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 18, 2013, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 18, 2013, 11:35:19 AM
It was some day, but it looks like Brian O'Driscoll has had his. Be afraid, be very afraid...

BOD is now a shadow of his former self, I'm afraid to say and now we've to fill gaps with inexperience players like Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson and Madigan who in their own time may come good, but we're going to have to wait a year or two on that to happen.

As much as Ross was poor, I thought POC was terrible too, his handling was awful, not sure about Toner either, but I suppose if you're going to break lads in then the Autumn internationals is the time to do it.

Watching the All Blacks is always good, but you've got to fear for this Ireland team as Sexton will obviously be out and the rear guard defence will need to be good for very long periods of time.
Murray will start for sure.

What about Ferris, is he ballaxed altogether?

100%...even in his twilight though, still offers far more than any of those mentioned. Will be interesting to see how the next lock of years turn out under JS. Damage limitation this coming weekend, will be an exciting 6 nations ahead

I haven't seen anything of France this autumn but England look like they will be very hard to beat.

Totally agree!! If they can plug a few holes before 2015 they could be a serious bet.

Their pack is serious. When have you ever seen the AB's get bullied in the scrum.

Still not convinced by Farrell. Youngs/Ford at 9/10 would offer more threat but Fords kicking stats arent great.

J OGorman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 18, 2013, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: AQMP on November 18, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on November 18, 2013, 01:41:39 PM
It was some day, but it looks like Brian O'Driscoll has had his. Be afraid, be very afraid...

BOD is now a shadow of his former self, I'm afraid to say and now we've to fill gaps with inexperience players like Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson and Madigan who in their own time may come good, but we're going to have to wait a year or two on that to happen.

As much as Ross was poor, I thought POC was terrible too, his handling was awful, not sure about Toner either, but I suppose if you're going to break lads in then the Autumn internationals is the time to do it.

Watching the All Blacks is always good, but you've got to fear for this Ireland team as Sexton will obviously be out and the rear guard defence will need to be good for very long periods of time.

100%...even in his twilight though, still offers far more than any of those mentioned. Will be interesting to see how the next lock of years turn out under JS. Damage limitation this coming weekend, will be an exciting 6 nations ahead

I haven't seen anything of France this autumn but England look like they will be very hard to beat.

Totally agree!! If they can plug a few holes before 2015 they could be a serious bet.

Their pack is serious. When have you ever seen the AB's get bullied in the scrum.

Still not convinced by Farrell. Youngs/Ford at 9/10 would offer more threat but Fords kicking stats arent great.

I would fear England also, on the basis that they are very much a bunch of bashers, very little thought or brains goes into their back play. The way we are missing tackles, England could very well buldoze over the top of us, Jonah style

Count 10

The Australian game was the worst performance ever since turning professional. Basic handling errors all over the field. There is no real competition for places and that for me is the problem...no matter how bad some play there is no alternative.
Why Ireland insisted on kicking to Folau is beyond me. Wooden spoon contenders!!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Count 10 on November 18, 2013, 03:27:34 PM
The Australian game was the worst performance ever since turning professional. Basic handling errors all over the field. There is no real competition for places and that for me is the problem...no matter how bad some play there is no alternative.
Why Ireland insisted on kicking to Folau is beyond me. Wooden spoon contenders!!

NZ 60 - 0 Ire
#newbridgeornowhere

mouview

BOD and POC, like Henry Shefflin, are arriving at a stage where their presence is detrimental rather than beneficial to a team. Toner no good, thought Marshall's defence was dreadful, Sexton outclassed, Kearney fearful, Bowe uninspired and pack driven around the place. 6 Nations doesn't augur well. Only bright spot is that the Irish rugby team, like the Dublin hurlers, are always worth betting against. The Aussies at evens on Saturday were the bet of the season.

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2013, 04:12:32 PM

NZ 60 - 0 Ire
I thought this one was quite bad!

Italy 22 Ireland 15
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21789586

Ireland 6 England 42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/2892271.stm

rosnarun

the Real emeny for Ireland is the complete delusion this team is any good. PoC, best, Driscoll, Ross, and darcy are so far past it its funny . how right Gatlands call looks now
the rest of the team is made up of shapers and posers like Mcfadden  Murray heaslip  healy ect. Sexton is your typical Flat track bully  up yhe heat and he dissolves 
The only 2 that seem genuine international standard are rob kearney and SOB though his  very much a one trick pony but his trick is very good.

good days
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on November 18, 2013, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2013, 04:12:32 PM

NZ 60 - 0 Ire
I thought this one was quite bad!

Italy 22 Ireland 15
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21789586

Ireland 6 England 42http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/2892271.stm

Depite the latter being a Grandslam decider England were by far the best team in the world at that stage. A few months later they beat Australia and New Zealand in the June tour and then went on to win the world cup. They gave an awesome tour de force that day!!!

turk

Question:

I was reading in the paper that some French team is looking to get Sean O'Brien over to France next season. The article went on with very little quotes or substance but the tone was that it would be terrible for Irish rugby if he left Leinster as Sexton was gone and there could be an exodus etc etc.

Would it not be be better (for the national team, not the provinces) if the top players actually did go to France or England and play there and play there - and then leave space/salary for other Irish lads to be developed in the magners/rabo league and the Heineken cup. So with sexton gone and say a few more top lads went then other Irish lads could get top level action in the Heineken cup.

And i don't mean going off with a minibus and coming back with a pile of South African lads. I suppose this is the dilemma of whether the provinces are there to develop the national team or you get more of a balance.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: screenexile on November 18, 2013, 04:43:26 PM
Ireland 6 England 42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/2892271.stm
Ireland were actually in touch for most of that game before coming apart near the end. If they hadn't had their own ambitions of a Slam, maybe they wouldn't have down tools when England had edged enough in front.
2000 in Twickenham was worse. A jolly old rogering from start to end.

Bord na Mona man

I'd expect an improvement for the NZ. The team looked undercooked for this one. The selection of Reddan and Toner suggests a bit of rotation anyway.
Marshall looked decent in attack, made a few breaks but didn't have support.
McFadden although the sort of player who only gets picked when there are 2-3 injuries wasn't bad either.

Most of the rest were various shades of bad, but at least O'Connell, O'Driscoll and Bowe have the ability to improve. O'Driscoll's graph is definitely on the downward, but he is well capable of putting in a couple of decent shifts before he goes.

After this Schmidt is better off is promoting the next generation that bit sooner rather than chasing 6 Nations. No use flogging the same crew.

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 18, 2013, 05:52:58 PM
I'd expect an improvement for the NZ. The team looked undercooked for this one. The selection of Reddan and Toner suggests a bit of rotation anyway.
McFadden although the sort of player who only gets picked when there are 2-3 injuries wasn't bad either.

Most of the rest were various shades of bad, but at least O'Connell, O'Driscoll and Bowe have the ability to improve. O'Driscoll's graph is definitely on the downward, but he is well capable of putting in a couple of decent shifts before he goes.

After this Schmidt is better off is promoting the next generation that bit sooner rather than chasing 6 Nations. No use flogging the same crew.

This is precisely the mistake that Kidney & O'Sullivan made towards the end of their reigns. Their need for results meant they took no chances with selection. Look how long it took Mike Ross to get in.

Gatland has 2 won slams by giving Welsh youth its head. I hope Schmidt follows suit.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 18, 2013, 04:15:00 PM

BOD and POC, like Henry Shefflin, are arriving at a stage where their presence is detrimental rather than beneficial to a team. Toner no good, thought Marshall's defence was dreadful, Sexton outclassed, Kearney fearful, Bowe uninspired and pack driven around the place. 6 Nations doesn't augur well. Only bright spot is that the Irish rugby team, like the Dublin hurlers, are always worth betting against. The Aussies at evens on Saturday were the bet of the season.
BOD reminded me of the last days of Joe Cooney playing for Galway. There was nobody as good as him in a long time but time was up.

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2013, 06:27:56 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 18, 2013, 05:52:58 PM

This is precisely the mistake that Kidney & O'Sullivan made towards the end of their reigns. Their need for results meant they took no chances with selection. Look how long it took Mike Ross to get in.

Gatland has 2 won slams by giving Welsh youth its head. I hope Schmidt follows suit.

Unfortunately the next generation  isn't as good as the last. The penny will drop in time.