The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on June 05, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2013, 07:28:20 PM
Great win for Ireland U20s tonight in the World Cup v Australia.

Jesus they were reasonably comfortable until that kamikaze offload that led to the Aussie try. . . great performance though. Am I right that these lads don't get to have Henshaw and Olding as they were called up to the Senior tour?

You wouldn't have that in GAA ... surely an U20 World Cup is more important than a shitbag tour of the US?

most countries fast track their best u20's well before 20. we've finally copped on thankfully

Declan

QuoteHe has serious issues.

Yeah you'd wonder what causes that amount of rage alright

Walter Cronc

Is the JWC played every year now??

Always found it a strange set up, with only the 3 groups and the 3 winners plus best runners up making the semi final. Very difficult to qualify from the groups.

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on June 05, 2013, 09:39:39 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 05, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2013, 07:28:20 PM
Great win for Ireland U20s tonight in the World Cup v Australia.

Jesus they were reasonably comfortable until that kamikaze offload that led to the Aussie try. . . great performance though. Am I right that these lads don't get to have Henshaw and Olding as they were called up to the Senior tour?

You wouldn't have that in GAA ... surely an U20 World Cup is more important than a shitbag tour of the US?

most countries fast track their best u20's well before 20. we've finally copped on thankfully

Ah no I agree with that. If we were touring the Southern Hemisphere I would be happy enough for the younger lads to go on that for experience I just think that it would be better for development to play well in an U20 tournament than to play the US on a Summer tour.

screenexile

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on June 07, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Healy's gone!

Just to be clear, it's because of the ligament damage in his ankle. He was cleared of the cited incident, to be fair to him..

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2013, 11:29:05 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 07, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Healy's gone!

Just to be clear, it's because of the ligament damage in his ankle. He was cleared of the cited incident, to be fair to him..

Being cleared and being innocent are two different things, the differing reaction to Suarez and Healy has been interesting to watch. The opposing player said he had Bitten him, to me no one would ever say that if it had not happened. Just because they couldnt get the right camera angle doesnt change that fact.

AZOffaly

Yep, I understand the difference but in fairness, he has not been found guilty of it. So we should not assume he 'got off'.

Also, I'm not sure why you would think this? "The opposing player said he had Bitten him, to me no one would ever say that if it had not happened"

There are so many cheats playing professional sports nowadays that feign injury, dive, etc etc, it's far from outlandish to me that someone would claim to be bitten knowing they were not.

And finally, the only 'Fact' in this situation is that Cian Healy was cited, and there was no evidence to back up the claim. Anything else is just someone hypothesising. Citing is not the same as being found guilty, it's similar to being charged in law, with no presumption of guilt.

Orior

You see this ruck and maul business.

When they get into the truck and trailer formation, and the guy with the ball is at the back of the trailer, is he allowed to stuff the ball up his shirt on the back so that the opposition have no idea where or who has the ball?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

And just to pick up on the Healy/Suarez thing, there's no comparison. Suarez was caught on camera gnawing at a lads arm like a bull mastif after a bone.

If you were looking for a corollary, the McBrearty/O'Brien incident in Donegal might be a more appropriate one, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. No 'bitegate' here. But then again the Rugby authorities have it reviewed, heard and dealt with inside 3 days. The GAA drag it on, and extend the media circus, for weeks.

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2013, 11:40:49 AM
Yep, I understand the difference but in fairness, he has not been found guilty of it. So we should not assume he 'got off'.

Also, I'm not sure why you would think this? "The opposing player said he had Bitten him, to me no one would ever say that if it had not happened"

There are so many cheats playing professional sports nowadays that feign injury, dive, etc etc, it's far from outlandish to me that someone would claim to be bitten knowing they were not.

And finally, the only 'Fact' in this situation is that Cian Healy was cited, and there was no evidence to back up the claim. Anything else is just someone hypothesising. Citing is not the same as being found guilty, it's similar to being charged in law, with no presumption of guilt.

Starting to sound like Raffa AZ  ;)

I'm just pointing out the difference in reaction, yes they maybe two different levels of the same event, but the principal is the same.

Respect what you say, but I feel differently about it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2013, 11:43:21 AM
You see this ruck and maul business.

When they get into the truck and trailer formation, and the guy with the ball is at the back of the trailer, is he allowed to stuff the ball up his shirt on the back so that the opposition have no idea where or who has the ball?

I'm sure some of the other lads would answer this better, but ....

Ruck and maul are two different things, a ruck is called after a tackle when the ball carrier hits the ground, and there are rules of engagement there, such as staying on your feet, defenders not being allowed to play the ball while on the ground, coming through the 'gate' etc etc. The ball is in the ruck until the scrum half takes it away, or the ball comes back outside the back foot of the lads forming the ruck.

A maul is called when the ball carrier , and his mates, are 'engaged' with the opposition, but the ball is held up, the ball carrier is on his feet. A lot of times Irish defenses, in particular will try to force a maul by tackling a man in a gang, and holding him up. His support comes along and a maul is formed. If they can keep him up until maul is called, they will nearly always get the scrum when the maul inevitably is brought down with the ball carrier, especially if the ball fails to come loose. One of the main things in a maul is that the opposition can try and rip the ball loose, whereas when a ruck is called they have to leave it alone.

A rolling maul, like you are describing is set up after a lineout or the like, and involves teammates trying to shove their teammate forward. As you've said, once the maul is called, the ball is usually transferred back through the bunch to a lad at the end. He must remain attached to the rest of the pack, which is why he grabs a hold of the lad in front of him, and stays very close. The ball goes to the back to avoid lads trying to rip it loose, and also because you can always tackle the ball carrier, and if the ball stayed at the front, they could drag him down. 

The maul has to engage with the defense before a maul is called, and sometimes you'll see defenses who expect a maul just back off a lineout for example, so that if the attackers form a maul, and let the ball back, it will be called for offside or accidental offside. It can only be a maul when the defense engages. When the maul is called, the defense can try to come through and grab the ball carrier, but can only do it from straight in front, they can't come around the sides of the maul.

Declan

QuoteIf you were looking for a corollary, the McBrearty/O'Brien incident in Donegal might be a more appropriate one, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. No 'bitegate' here. But then again the Rugby authorities have it reviewed, heard and dealt with inside 3 days. The GAA drag it on, and extend the media circus, for weeks.

Yep another Dub victimised ;)

Hound

Sky Sports News showed the Healy incident last night, so I'm sure the judges saw that footage. The Aussie actually put his fingers into Healy's mouth rather than the other way around. As soon as I saw that I'd knew he'd get off.
Pity the injury has ruined his tour in any event.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on June 07, 2013, 01:44:02 PM
Sky Sports News showed the Healy incident last night, so I'm sure the judges saw that footage. The Aussie actually put his fingers into Healy's mouth rather than the other way around. As soon as I saw that I'd knew he'd get off.
Pity the injury has ruined his tour in any event.

One of the Welsh props struggling with injury as well, Corbisiero sent for as well as the Scottish fella Grant, falling like flies.