The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Hook didn't hammer Jackson directly, moreso a dig at Kidney for not having Madigan start instead. He wasn't advocating ROG at all and even derided his 15 minute cameo where things went from bad to worse.

I thought it was a bit harsh on RTÉ's analysis saying that the turning point in the game was jacksons missed kick to touch, jez this was an error ridden Irish performance and even then one bit of quality to make the most of the several line breaks would have in all likelihood ended up in a victory.

Kidney is now paying for his sins on not giving new blood a go a few years back and now his hand is forced with lack of experience in key positions, Luke Marshall should have had more run outs in the green and is now a good option in one of the centre positions but it may be too late for Kidney as I can't see him in charge beyond this 6N's campaign.

Would Conor O'Shea be mad enough to take the role on?

NAG1

Quote from: highorlow on February 25, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
QuoteLimerick and Waterford hurlers didn't win any all Irelands over the last 15 years.

and?

They werent being paid a Kings ransom to get their basics correct, but they did so on more occasions than not.

deiseach

Quote from: highorlow on February 25, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
QuoteLimerick and Waterford hurlers didn't win any all Irelands over the last 15 years.

and?

The best team doesn't always win. I don't think Wexford were better than Limerick in the second half of the 1990's, yet Wexford won an All-Ireland and Limerick did not.

deiseach

It's going to be interesting watching the nouveau Irish rugby supporters adjusting to the reality of us being mediocre, at best. One Grand Slam in 61 years was no accident. Roll on 2070!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on February 25, 2013, 10:05:18 AM
Hook didn't hammer Jackson directly, moreso a dig at Kidney for not having Madigan start instead. He wasn't advocating ROG at all and even derided his 15 minute cameo where things went from bad to worse.

I thought it was a bit harsh on RTÉ's analysis saying that the turning point in the game was jacksons missed kick to touch, jez this was an error ridden Irish performance and even then one bit of quality to make the most of the several line breaks would have in all likelihood ended up in a victory.

Kidney is now paying for his sins on not giving new blood a go a few years back and now his hand is forced with lack of experience in key positions, Luke Marshall should have had more run outs in the green and is now a good option in one of the centre positions but it may be too late for Kidney as I can't see him in charge beyond this 6N's campaign.

Its funny that RTE said that was the turning point. BBC said that it swung when Kearney opted to take the ball into contact, resulting in a penalty when there was oceans of space to kick into! Regarding O'Shea, he is someone I really like and is doing great work with Harlequins. Mark Mc Call is also doing well at Saracens but perhaps both a few years off. Thats not to say I wouldnt be happy if either got the call. For me though I think Joe Schmidt is the man to replace Kidney!

NAG1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 25, 2013, 10:24:40 AM

Its funny that RTE said that was the turning point. BBC said that it swung when Kearney opted to take the ball into contact, resulting in a penalty when there was oceans of space to kick into! Regarding O'Shea, he is someone I really like and is doing great work with Harlequins. Mark Mc Call is also doing well at Saracens but perhaps both a few years off. Thats not to say I wouldnt be happy if either got the call. For me though I think Joe Schmidt is the man to replace Kidney!

Dont think it would matter who the coach is, the simple fact is that the players are not there to work with. Even if you go on size alone they are miles off.

camanchero

very annoying game. I cant stand the jocks in rugby. on a par with south africa for thuggery and just plain dirt (gamesmanship).
before you say kiwi's Dinny, two words- findley calder.
You could add david sole and reel off a load more too...

anyhow. Irelands problem is the same as was present in the wales and english games. no invention or idea on how to break through the opponents defensive line.
its all too static and attacks with ball linear. Easy to defend.
We were luck that wales more or less self destructed in the first half and we posess great opportunists that can finish when presented with a chance (Odriscoll, zebo, and the two young ulster lads). England are still finding their feet and were there for the taking.
imo the attack coach is more to blam than kidney, but the buck stops with kidney.

OGara caught in two minds as most of often are when playing footballand he did neither and got caught out badly. I dont blame him.
its a poor enough Irish performand and execution. lacking invention and playing too slowly.
a lot of these players are not as good as people make them out to be.
marshall was good and shows what we have been lacking from centre by playing darcy.

thewobbler

Quote from: NAG1 on February 25, 2013, 10:26:48 AM

Dont think it would matter who the coach is, the simple fact is that the players are not there to work with. Even if you go on size alone they are miles off.
I still think a first XV with Sexton, Bowe, Ferris, Healy and O'Connell back in it, is enough for any coach to make a bit of hay.

I honestly think though that Irish coaches like to make a lack of depth a bigger thing than it is.

John Hayes, a substandard scrummager, was given 30 caps too many simply because they didn't trust anyone else.

David Wallace was a brilliant player, but not in his final few seasons.

O'Connell and O'Callaghan, while a top class partnership for a number of years, were never challenged for their positions, because nobody else was given a chance.

Heaslip has been no.8 for the best part of a decade, and is now the captain, even though he offers nothing outstanding in that role. He's just a safe, boring bet.

Gordon D'Arcy, the least attack-minded 12 in Ireland, has had no challengers to his jersey, because none have been allowed until yesterday.

I'm not encouraging a wholesale change policy, but playing for the Irish rugby team is definitely one of those honours that's harder to get than to get rid of.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on February 25, 2013, 10:26:48 AM

I would agree with you on conditioning. We are no where near the level England/Wales and France are at however our results at U20, U18 and Schools level suggests that we do indeed have the young players coming through. It is Deccie and previous to that Eddies reluctance to bring through youth that is currently holding us back. Take yesterday for example, would Ian Henderson really have done any worse than O'Callaghan?!

Applesisapples

Why would Sexton not have been named Captain, prior to his injury?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on February 25, 2013, 12:21:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 25, 2013, 12:10:28 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 24, 2013, 09:16:56 PM
I think Earls didn't see O'Driscoll inside him. We didn't deserve to win because we didn't make or take the chances.

What's worse? Not seeing him or seeing him and choosing not to pass?

That was as good a chance as you get at this level. O Driscoll was irate.

Marshall had a chance to put Gilroy in earlier but Gilroy, in fairness had overrun a bit and the pass would have been forward anyway if it stuck. Without doing any more today - with a shite scrum and great Scottish pressure on our lineout - we still should have walked in 2 more tries and won this match.

Still, that would only have been papering over cracks that need to be properly filled.

Meh, its a two way street between over running a pass and holding the pass to long. Marshall was as suspect as Gilroy, you shouldn't expect your supporting players to check their runs on an open field break at full pelt.

No but Gilroy's support line was awful he was running away from the ball towards space, he needs to funnel in so he is there to take the pass or secure the ruck.
#newbridgeornowhere

NAG1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 25, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: trileacman on February 25, 2013, 12:21:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 25, 2013, 12:10:28 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 24, 2013, 09:16:56 PM
I think Earls didn't see O'Driscoll inside him. We didn't deserve to win because we didn't make or take the chances.

What's worse? Not seeing him or seeing him and choosing not to pass?

That was as good a chance as you get at this level. O Driscoll was irate.

Marshall had a chance to put Gilroy in earlier but Gilroy, in fairness had overrun a bit and the pass would have been forward anyway if it stuck. Without doing any more today - with a shite scrum and great Scottish pressure on our lineout - we still should have walked in 2 more tries and won this match.

Still, that would only have been papering over cracks that need to be properly filled.

Meh, its a two way street between over running a pass and holding the pass to long. Marshall was as suspect as Gilroy, you shouldn't expect your supporting players to check their runs on an open field break at full pelt.

No but Gilroy's support line was awful he was running away from the ball towards space, he needs to funnel in so he is there to take the pass or secure the ruck.

Gilroy's line was fine the execution of the pass was woeful, waited too long to play the pass trying to commit the defender and couldn't execute under the pressure. It was a 3-4 yard pop pass?

Main Street

There was a 'turning point mistake a minute' in that game, effected by most every player.

Wasn't there a game (I forget which one) where Shane Byrne had a nightmare like Best, with his throw-ins to the line?
Unlike Shane, at least Best did get it  together at some stage.

Is there any debate about the scrum-half position?
I thought Murray has somewhat improved from last year.

Canalman

Think SB's  game was during the Lion's tour.........could be wrong though.

Main Street

Over the weekend I heard a RTE commentary on a try being scored, as TOUCHDOWN !!!

but it wasn't from one of the 2 regulars.