Donegal

Started by joebloggs, July 06, 2010, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebloggs

Going to donegal for a weekend, wheres a good place to stay and also need somewhere nice to take the other half out for a meal.

Donegal Danny

For Value for money you can't beat the Mount Errigal in Letterkenny, Good hotel with good leisure centre and atmosphere always. New place in town called Bastille which is french and supposed to be good.Letterkenny is hard to beat for the pubs and clubs at the weekend.

Goldengreen

Depends on what you are looking for in the weekend, Letterkenny is a lively spot at the weekends, but word of warning, this weather it is hen and stag heaven these past few weeks. If its night life you are looking for Letterkenny is the place to be. i would also recommend Beetroot for a nice meal.

If you are looking for a bit of a quite weekend, i would check out Dunfanaghy, and maybe Arnolds hotel. One place worth checking out for a meal is the cove located just up the road in Port na Blagh. Arnolds also offers horse ridding, and up the road too you have ards forest park with some lovely walks. Also not far away from Glenveigh too. You also have horn head thats well worth a look. also out the horn head road just over the bridge past the gaa pith, you can walk acroos the dunnes to a beach called tramore, takes about 20 mins to walk to it but it is well worth it, you can go up the coast from there to a blow hole. I wold expect Dunfanaghy to be busy this weekend seeing as its the 12th, so there would be music in all the pubs. also is the other half is into her spa, the Shanndon hotel at marble hill has an excellent spa that includes an outdoor hot tub, open to the public but u would have to book.  would not stay here as its about 5 miles from dunfanaghy so it leaves u limited for night life.

Lecale2

Quotei would also recommend Beetroot for a nice meal.

In soup or raw?

Rois

For a bit of luxury Solis Lough Eske Castle is absolutely gorgeous.  It's a short enough taxi ride away from Donegal Town for the craic, plus you're within easy driving distance of Rossnowlagh (Smugglers restaurant there is lovely), Ballyshannon, Bundoran and even Sligo.  Or Killybegs etc up the other side of Donegal Bay. 

I often think south Donegal gets left out. 

FL/MAYO

Stayed at the Ballyliffen Lodge recently http://www.ballyliffinlodge.com/, I found it very nice, a great location for checking out Inishowen and Derry, its way up there though if you are coming from down south.
South West Donegal is also lovely, the drive form Killybegs into Glencolmcille is unreal, take the coast road from killybegs to Kilcar, then onto Slieve League (open the gate and drive to the top as the locals do), then onto the Silver Strand and then Glencolmcille. Not sure of the best hotel in this area.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Visit Irelands Second tallest cliffs Slieve league.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 07, 2010, 09:17:27 AM
Quotei would also recommend Beetroot for a nice meal.

In soup or raw?

i like it pickled with an auld salad and chips myself.

magpie seanie

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 07, 2010, 01:55:01 PM
Stayed at the Ballyliffen Lodge recently http://www.ballyliffinlodge.com/, I found it very nice, a great location for checking out Inishowen and Derry, its way up there though if you are coming from down south.
South West Donegal is also lovely, the drive form Killybegs into Glencolmcille is unreal, take the coast road from killybegs to Kilcar, then onto Slieve League (open the gate and drive to the top as the locals do), then onto the Silver Strand and then Glencolmcille. Not sure of the best hotel in this area.

Was there myself recently, grand spot. Went up to Malin Head and had a few pints in "the most northerly pub in Ireland" nearby. Sure you'd have to.