Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Your not getting it.. you keep saying that Tyrone is the most competitive, thats fine and as the championship has shown its very competitive, no one is arguing that point.. you then go on to say that the other teams (that do well against the best of the counties) wouldn't win the Tyrone championship or have a run of titles, when that's something you made up!

You can't say that with any fact!

The fact that Tyrone's best team last year was dumped by the Fermanagh champions because they played an extra game each season for the past 6 years is laughable.. the experience is two teams on a pitch playing football and the rules are applied the same.. Loup beat us in a final many moons ago first attempt, we got to that final also having not played an Ulster final since 84..

Teams do it, some don't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 11:00:04 AM
Your not getting it.. you keep saying that Tyrone is the most competitive, thats fine and as the championship has shown its very competitive, no one is arguing that point.. you then go on to say that the other teams (that do well against the best of the counties) wouldn't win the Tyrone championship or have a run of titles, when that's something you made up!

You can't say that with any fact!

The fact that Tyrone's best team last year was dumped by the Fermanagh champions because they played an extra game each season for the past 6 years is laughable.. the experience is two teams on a pitch playing football and the rules are applied the same.. Loup beat us in a final many moons ago first attempt, we got to that final also having not played an Ulster final since 84..

Teams do it, some don't

The Fermanagh champions went on to run Kilcoo, last year's AI runners up very close in the semi final. You're once again confusing an individual club with a club championship. Derrygonnelly have dominated Fermanagh club football for the past decade, they are far, far superior to the rest of the competition in Fermanagh, they're a good side who would give any club championship a good rattle in Ulster.

Trillick also had their two time all star playing with a torn hamstring and went out on penalties, it's fine margins.

Slaughtneil have been one of the top 4/5 club teams in Ireland over the past decade but I doubt they would do 4IAR in Tyrone.

You're arguing something you can't say with fact either.

There's been 8 different champions in Tyrone in the past 10 years, nobody has done 2IAR since 2005 so there is a very limited window for a club to go back and do it. Many clubs in other counties will be looking ahead and planning their run at the provincial stage, clubs sides in Tyrone don't have that luxury, it's a dogfight for them to come out of their county. Was it 8 or 9 goes it took Kilcoo?

What you find laughable is common sense, building experience is the best advantage.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

QuoteKilcoo had 8 or 9 attempts at winning an Ulster in 11 years before they finally landed one.
Scotstown have had 5 attempts in 7 years at winning one and haven't landed one.
Cross come out in Armagh pretty much every year.
Derrygonnelly have dominated Fermanagh.
Derry has been a duopoly for the past decade.
Antrim and Cavan clubs generally ship some heavy beatings since Galls have regressed.

Your arguments seem to change. Three different donegal clubs have made it to finals (with Gaoth dobhair being the only winner) plus Kilcar weren't far away from the semi one year. That's not missing the point - that's you changing the point  ;D Donegal are a fine example there too as they have multiple clubs competitive.

What does that make the donegal championship?

You have the most competitive championship but to be honest no one will ever know does that make it the highest standard. The results in ulster wouldn't suggest so but who knows.

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 11:47:51 AM
QuoteKilcoo had 8 or 9 attempts at winning an Ulster in 11 years before they finally landed one.
Antrim and Cavan clubs generally ship some heavy beatings since Galls have regressed.

Your arguments seem to change. Three different donegal clubs have made it to finals (with Gaoth dobhair being the only winner) plus Kilcar weren't far away from the semi one year. That's not missing the point - that's you changing the point  ;D Donegal are a fine example there too as they have multiple clubs competitive.

You have the most competitive championship but to be honest no one will ever know does that make it the highest standard. The results in ulster wouldn't suggest so but who knows.
All opinions, I don't think anyone doubts how competitive Tyrone club football is. I don't think that it's the highest standard though. Dungannon wouldn't get near winning the Derry championship imo. I'd have 3 or 4, possibly even half a dozen teams stronger in Derry.

Angelo

My argument is conistent, a club who has experience at provincial level stands at an advantage to one who doesn't. That's the cornerstone of my argument. A lot of clubs like Kilcoo, Scotstown, even Crossmaglen or Slaughtneil would not have got as many cracks at Ulster as they did in their own counties.

Tyrone and Donegal club championships are the toughest about.

Between 2010-2019 Tyrone championships have been divided between 7 teams.

Trillick, Omagh, Coalisland x2
Dromore, Errigal, Clonoe, Killyclogher x1

In the same timeframe Donegal has been divided by 5.

Glenties x3, Glenswilly x3,
Eunans x2
Kilcar, Gweedore x1

But you have to back to 2004 to find a winner outside of those clubs.

A club like Ardboe haven't won a county championship since 98, in any other county championship in Ulster they'd have had one in that time.

imtommygunn

I love the way you present your opinion as fact
QuoteA club like Ardboe haven't won a county championship since 98, in any other county championship in Ulster they'd have had one in that time.
;D I don't think they'd have had one in Armagh, Derry or Down. I'm not even sold on winning it in antrim.

I don't agree with your opinion tbh but it is just one opinion against another.  You have a strong championship but whether you are or aren't stronger than others is purely opinion. The needing experience to win it doesn't always wash as there are exceptions. Mainly it is correct but a good enough team will debunk that.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 21, 2020, 12:46:15 PM

All opinions, I don't think anyone doubts how competitive Tyrone club football is. I don't think that it's the highest standard though. Dungannon wouldn't get near winning the Derry championship imo. I'd have 3 or 4, possibly even half a dozen teams stronger in Derry.

There is the same, on their day in Tyrone. It's fine margins as their whole championship run showed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 01:29:57 PM
QuoteA club like Ardboe haven't won a county championship since 98, in any other county championship in Ulster they'd have had one in that time.
;D I don't think they'd have had one in Armagh, Derry or Down. I'm not even sold on winning it in antrim.

I don't agree with your opinion tbh but it is just one opinion against another.  You have a strong championship but whether you are or aren't stronger than others is purely opinion. The needing experience to win it doesn't always wash as there are exceptions. Mainly it is correct but a good enough team will debunk that.

Can only be stronger than the others if they beat the others? No? But I suppose if the cornerstone of the argument is that Tyrone (and now Donegal  ;D ) is the toughest and most competitive then naturally they will not be able to compete against teams from lesser competitive competitions, as the standard is crap, until that is, it goes into a more competitive competition like the Ulster club and All Ireland series  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 01:45:18 PM

Can only be stronger than the others if they beat the others? No? But I suppose if the cornerstone of the argument is that Tyrone (and now Donegal  ;D ) is the toughest and most competitive then naturally they will not be able to compete against teams from lesser competitive competitions, as the standard is crap, until that is, it goes into a more competitive competition like the Ulster club and All Ireland series  ;D ;D

Tyrone championship is the GAAs premier league, best league in the world cause 'on their day anyone can beat anyone' and they just think that competitive means best teams, I mean look at PSG and Bayern, they sail their leagues and you don't see them getting to the champions league fin.... oh wait....

Angelo

Quote from: themac_23 on September 21, 2020, 01:50:38 PM

Tyrone championship is the GAAs premier league, best league in the world cause 'on their day anyone can beat anyone' and they just think that competitive means best teams, I mean look at PSG and Bayern, they sail their leagues and you don't see them getting to the champions league fin.... oh wait....

An idiotic post.

The Champions League is elitist, it's all done on co-efficients, seedings etc.

The best countries get 4 representatives of 32.

Italy, England, Spain and Germany all have 4 competing sides - that makes up half of the competition.

The way the old European Cup was is a better example and back then you only had league champions competing, you could see that sides like Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Celtic all winning. And in that case you can see why clubs from weaker county championships can do a lot better.

If the Championship was changed and we had 4 Tyrone clubs in the Ulster Club Championship then I think all 4 could cause any team in it problems, if you had 4 clubs from Derry, they would struggle.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 01:59:02 PM

An idiotic post.

Italy, England, Spain and Germany all have 4 competing sides - that makes up half of the competition.

The way the old European Cup was is a better example and back then you only had league champions competing, you could see that sides like Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Celtic all winning. And in that case you can see why clubs from weaker county championships can do a lot better.

If the Championship was changed and we had 4 Tyrone clubs in the Ulster Club Championship then I think all 4 could cause any team in it problems, if you had 4 clubs from Derry, they would struggle.

If you could get just one team to be competitive you'd be doing alright  ;D

themac_23

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 01:59:02 PM

An idiotic post.

You're missing my point, my point is just because people think a competition is more competitive doesn't mean it has the best teams.

Angelo

Maybe the likes of Monaghan, Armagh, Derry, Down, Antrim and Fermanagh need to start producing more clubs than can win their club championships.

smort

The Tyrone championship is the most competitive, but the top club teams in other counties are better. It also helps explain imo how Tyrone schools, underage and adult teams are always very strong...there is a large pool of very talented players in the county

Angelo

Quote from: smort on September 21, 2020, 02:21:01 PM
The Tyrone championship is the most competitive, but the top club teams in other counties are better

To a degree.

Who are we talking about here? Cross, Scotstown, Kilcoo, Slaughtneil, Gweedore?

I think Ulster is now reaching a bit of an impasse, Cross are no longer the force they were before, neither are Slauhtneil - we have had two first time winners in the last two years.

I think any club will fancy their chance in Ulster now which is why I think a Tyrone club will win one in the next few years.

From 2004-2017, 4 clubs shared 14 Ulster titles.

Cross x8
Slaughtneil x3
Galls x2
Ballinderry x1

Last year Kilcoo became the first Down side to win it in 31 years.
The year before that Gweedore became the first Donegal side to win it in 43 years.

So there is a changing of the landscape at present.