Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Can only see a Tyrone win to be honest. Not that I don't believe Armagh can't win I just think that it's in Tyrone's favour the way things stand. I suspect it will be tight and dogged for 50 minutes but Tyrone will ease away at that stage to win by 4-5.

Wildweasel74

Had edged to Armagh but losses of, Kelly, Grimley, Mackin would def edge bck to Tyrone.

JoeSoap

I think those injuries for Armagh tips it back to Tyrone, I know Tyrone don't have the depth this year either but I just don't think Armagh have anyone coming in for Grimley and Mackin in particular that would be anywhere near the same standard.

Hope it's a cracker of a game and maybe home advantage will be worth a few points for Armagh, so it will be tight. But I just feel that Tyrone will edge it.

Either way we'll be waiting for the winner in Donegal because it's written in the stars that we'll draw the winners of this one

God14

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 31, 2022, 10:27:45 AM
Can only see a Tyrone win to be honest. Not that I don't believe Armagh can't win I just think that it's in Tyrone's favour the way things stand. I suspect it will be tight and dogged for 50 minutes but Tyrone will ease away at that stage to win by 4-5.

Surprised by that negativity BCB

Tyrone arguably performed the worst out of the Div1+Derry teams.
Tyrone have injuries and a suspension as well, following 7 defections from last years squad. Some big names out of form all season too.
Depending on your perspective, you could say its bit desperate, bringing in 4 teenagers into the panel in the last week or two

I find this one incredibly difficult to judge. We just dont know which Tyrone and Armagh teams will turn up.
I wouldnt be shocked by either a 5 point Tyrone win or a 5 point Armagh win.

Armagh18

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 31, 2022, 10:43:20 AM
I think those injuries for Armagh tips it back to Tyrone, I know Tyrone don't have the depth this year either but I just don't think Armagh have anyone coming in for Grimley and Mackin in particular that would be anywhere near the same standard.

Hope it's a cracker of a game and maybe home advantage will be worth a few points for Armagh, so it will be tight. But I just feel that Tyrone will edge it.

Either way we'll be waiting for the winner in Donegal because it's written in the stars that we'll draw the winners of this one
Yeah the injuries will cause us hassle- Rian can fill in out the field easily but then we'll lose our biggest threat inside. Going to need massive game from Crealey. 

Wildweasel74

Tyrone don't have depth, christ they got a panel of 45, Derry barely got 30, although Gallagher doesn't bring in anybody for players who leave, leaving a very weak bench.

yellowcard

I don't think we can use the excuse of injuries here. Mackin has yet to make his championship debut and Kelly is still relatively inexperienced even though both played well during the league campaign. Grimley has never really lived up to the potential he showed about 4 or 5 years ago either and often flits in and out of matches. This will be a dogfight and I'm not sure Grimley really thrives in those type of matches. I would like to see Burns and Oisin O'Neill at midfield. Burns is not really a natural defender anyway and is one of our best fielders whilst Oisin O'Neill is a good long kicker that is needed around the middle to supply the forward line with an earlier supply of ball. We badly lack this type of player in the middle third as we really aren't playing to our strengths by constantly playing a running game. That was one of the reasons we fell down against Donegal, our failure to play quicker ball inside instead choosing to run into cul de sacs. I don't think Tyrone have the strongest midfield anyway, most certainly not at the same level as Donegal and I think those two will have the edge in mobility.

I think we can win this match not because we are any world beaters but simply because people are over estimating Tyrone based on them being AI champions. They have shown very little this season and between squad defections, constant indiscipline, injuries and players lacking motivation they are there for the taking. Getting a good start, playing with high intensity and getting the crowd involved is the key to winning the match. Tyrone will feel under pressure to win in order to not go down as one of the poorest quality AI champions in recent memory. If we can stop McCurry then we will be half way there to winning and providing we can keep it tight until near the end I think we can edge it with the home crowd behind us. The atmosphere should be bouncing on Sunday and I think that will be just enough to carry us over the line.     

naka

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2022, 11:47:12 AM
I don't think we can use the excuse of injuries here. Mackin has yet to make his championship debut and Kelly is still relatively inexperienced even though both played well during the league campaign. Grimley has never really lived up to the potential he showed about 4 or 5 years ago either and often flits in and out of matches. This will be a dogfight and I'm not sure Grimley really thrives in those type of matches. I would like to see Burns and Oisin O'Neill at midfield. Burns is not really a natural defender anyway and is one of our best fielders whilst Oisin O'Neill is a good long kicker that is needed around the middle to supply the forward line with an earlier supply of ball. We badly lack this type of player in the middle third as we really aren't playing to our strengths by constantly playing a running game. That was one of the reasons we fell down against Donegal, our failure to play quicker ball inside instead choosing to run into cul de sacs. I don't think Tyrone have the strongest midfield anyway, most certainly not at the same level as Donegal and I think those two will have the edge in mobility.

I think we can win this match not because we are any world beaters but simply because people are over estimating Tyrone based on them being AI champions. They have shown very little this season and between squad defections, constant indiscipline, injuries and players lacking motivation they are there for the taking. Getting a good start, playing with high intensity and getting the crowd involved is the key to winning the match. Tyrone will feel under pressure to win in order to not go down as one of the poorest quality AI champions in recent memory. If we can stop McCurry then we will be half way there to winning and providing we can keep it tight until near the end I think we can edge it with the home crowd behind us. The atmosphere should be bouncing on Sunday and I think that will be just enough to carry us over the line.   
yellowcard dont think oisin is fit this year and it would actually be better for him if he was allowed to rest and cure his achilles
could see connaire mackin and crealey as a midfield
would like mc cabe, burns and shields at half back
but half forward will be where mc geeney earns his wages, apart from grugan i dont see any starters at all( would prefer stefan coming on at half time)

half forward line for armagh will be interesting 

yellowcard

Quote from: naka on May 31, 2022, 12:29:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2022, 11:47:12 AM

yellowcard dont think oisin is fit this year and it would actually be better for him if he was allowed to rest and cure his achilles
could see connaire mackin and crealey as a midfield
would like mc cabe, burns and shields at half back
but half forward will be where mc geeney earns his wages, apart from grugan i dont see any starters at all( would prefer stefan coming on at half time)

half forward line for armagh will be interesting

That's a blow if O'Neill is out injured then, bigger than any of the other 3 players mentioned previously. I don't like Burns playing at half back, he plays too much with his head down. His biggest strength is his fielding and his running power which can be better utilised in midfield where we are weak without those missing players.

Campbell is a certain starter in my book given the absentees. I understand the logic of using him as an impact player if we had greater selection choice but the game was over in Ballybofey before he was introduced, do we really want to take that same risk again. Better to play 50 minutes when the game is still a contest than come on for 30 minutes if the game has slipped away.   

5times5times

Hughes - Stop playing Rafferty, slows everything down

Burns
Forker
Morgan

Mackin
McCabe
McKay

Burns
Crealey

Oisin
Grugan
Soupy

Turbitt
Rian
Nugent

yellowcard

Quote from: 5times5times on May 31, 2022, 01:33:58 PM
Hughes - Stop playing Rafferty, slows everything down

Burns
Forker
Morgan

Mackin
McCabe
McKay

Burns
Crealey

Oisin
Grugan
Soupy

Turbitt
Rian
Nugent

Wouldn't be a million miles off although with Oisin O'Neill injured it will probably be Hall starting no.10 as he is one of geezers most tried and tested players. I would never have dropped Hughes to begin with but I doubt if he will go back to playing him now at this stage. 

sam03/05

Tyrone have a few back by all accounts
Padraig McNulty, Mattie Donnelly & also
some of their u20s

An Watcher

Need Mattie in there to keep the heads, bit of experience

Captain Obvious

Would be some occasion to attend in the Athletic Grounds if Armagh manage to KO the defending champions.

Tyrone are the defending champions and will be looking to prove a point that the Derry match was just an off day. The injuries no way helpful to Armagh chances, might go down fighting however hard to see past a Tyrone win.

balladmaker

Injuries far from ideal, however, not an excuse not to go out and give it one hell of a go. At home to the All Ireland Champions in a straight shoot-out with no second chances ... surely management will have Armagh ready to empty the tank for this one ... I would hope!