Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Underachieve may be a strong word for it but I do think, as per with Armagh's dominant team in the earky noughties, one AI is a lot less than you should be winning.

Anyway, I am not on the wind up. Genuine opinion I hold. If you think it's bullsh*t fair enough but I think there's a lot more in that galls team than one AI. There is plenty of time for them to achieve this though. Hopefully this year and a victory against Cross will change that.

DearyMe

Lads 4father is bang on - and i would say the players would aggree with him!

They absolutely have to beat cross this year to have that bit of satisfaction/closure if you like!

No one is saying Galls havent achieved, but we know where their focus will be for the next 4 weeks (could very well be the sat night by the way - live on the box!).

And for their sake i hope they do it (monkey off the back and all that)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Milltown Row2

Monkey off back ? What club are you from?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DearyMe

monkey off back (common term used in gaa circles when a team finally beats an opposition that it had not previously been able to beat!)

Hope this answers your question MR2

regarding my club -  not that far away from you ;)

Milltown Row2

Winning an all Ireland is great, no monkey's on the back at all. Has your club any monkey's?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CentreHalfBack

I see All Saints are down to play Portglenone in the Intermediate Football Final.

I take it Aldergrove did not win their appeal. Does anyone know any more information regarding this?
New season - new reason

4father

First i've heard of any issue or appeal, enlighten please.

CentreHalfBack

It seems from what I have heard, Aldergrove have been thrown out of the championship due to playing an illegal player who was not on the clubs gaa database, even though this player has been playing for Aldergrove for years.
New season - new reason

DearyMe

very good MR2!

plenty of monkeys in every club,you should know! ;D

aontroim

http://www.hoganstand.com/antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=155812
Rugby star Ward to assist Saffrons
30 September 2011
Former Ireland and Ulster rugby star Andy Ward has agreed to become the new strength and conditioning coach for the Antrim footballers.

The New Zealand-born flanker made his Irish debut against France in 1998 and went on to win 28 caps. He was a key member of the Ulster team that became the first Irish winners of the Heineken Cup in 1999 and played his club rugby with Ballinahinch until recently.

Ironically, Dublin's All-Ireland winning captain Bryan Cullen is due to take up a similar full-time role with Leinster rugby in the next fortnight.

Not really sure the problems for Antrim Football are related to Strength & Conditioning.

imtommygunn

I disagree. I think a large problem we have is our strength and conditioning. A lot of our players lack strength and are too easily brushed off the ball. There are a few exceptions however they are just a few.

antrimgeal1989

Not much chat about the Junior or Intermediate finals. Anybody any predictions?

4father

Quote from: antrimgeal1989 on September 30, 2011, 09:00:21 PM
Not much chat about the Junior or Intermediate finals. Anybody any predictions?

Junior, i hope Eire Og win simply because ODs re-entered it after winning it last year.  According to an Aggies friend of mine, they're team is a bit of a mongrel team made up of players from every club in Belfast recently.  If they won it last year, they should be favourites this year again so I hope Eire Og win it but to be honest, i havent the foggiest idea about Junior Football.

Portglenone should win the IFC.  I heard the likes of Convery, Eoin Doc, McCarry etc are retiring after this year so it would be good for Portglen1 to win, good for those lads who have given quite a lot to the county and their clubs.  But Ballymena won't care about that.

What you reckon?

Mhic Easmuint

Intermediate Final off now, Aldergrove were successful in their appeal at Croke Park.
Don't know what the arrangements are now.

takeyourpoint

The Intermediate Championship has now become a complete and total shambles.Players waking up to discover not only has the County Final been postponed but that they're now not even in a County Final.Absolutely ridiculous.