FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2018, 02:27:07 PM
Ireland have the poorest selection of forwards I've ever known. Other than Shane Long, who else is there? I can't even name one.

While that's not the only problem, it's still a big one.
It's not like we're creating chances that the forwards are missing! Unlike the North.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on November 20, 2018, 02:43:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2018, 02:27:07 PM
Ireland have the poorest selection of forwards I've ever known. Other than Shane Long, who else is there? I can't even name one.

While that's not the only problem, it's still a big one.
It's not like we're creating chances that the forwards are missing! Unlike the North.

Those responsible for creating chances is lighter on options than the selection of decent forwards to be fair. 

laoislad

Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2018, 09:25:36 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1121/1012329-oneill-holds-crunch-talks-with-the-fai-claims-report/

The end is nigh... or he is getting a pay rise.
Hopefully he's gone along with his trouble making sidekick.
Big Mick is free give it to him or I'd even like to see Stephen Kenny get s shot at it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Shamrock Shore

Helix

It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Shamrock Shore

I'm sure Mick McCarthy will have the cv ready.

The FAI tried the local man before in more recent times. Not sure if Kenny, great manager and all that he is, could manage lads with notions.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 21, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
O'Neill and Keane are gone  :-[

If the problem is the system it won't make any difference.
The FAI missed the boat on the development of young players and this is now a problem at senior level
It is not easy to fix. Mick O'Dowd said the Meath manager after the next one might start winning. Maybe it's like that. 

Losing attitudes are insidious. You have to drop people even if they have loads of experience when they have no belief. You have to build it in young players.
Ireland are disorganised and will be playing teams who aren't. It takes time for young lads to build experience. Kilkenny are learning that now.
Fan expectations are not realistic.

Look at how well the rugby team is doing but that took years to get right. 

If you look at Dunphy analysing the manager after the honeymoon period in videos going back to Staunton there is a constant theme.
I don't think it's been about the manager for the last 14 years. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 21, 2018, 10:42:11 AM
I'm sure Mick McCarthy will have the cv ready.

The FAI tried the local man before in more recent times. Not sure if Kenny, great manager and all that he is, could manage lads with notions.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/rep-of-ireland/next-permanent-manager
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Not before time, although I don't believe the 'resign' bit of it. I'd say they have negotiated a pay off package for themselves.

The attention should be on John Delaney but unfortunately he is accountable to nobody. It's not exactly an attractive job at the minute but the salary should be no more than €500k given the level of player we have. He has gone for big names with the last 2 appointments when that money would be far better spent in developing grass roots structures.

Boycey

Mick McCarthy is the standout candidate but do we really want to go back to the future? Stephen Kenny maybe but as someone said further back would lads take instruction from a LOI manager.

I might put a few quid on Paddy Powers 500/1 on Francis Brennan  ;D

yellowcard

Mick McCarthy is the obvious choice. Not in contract, good man manager, would jump at the job and has a track record of over achieving with a limited group of players.

Stephen Kenny would be a big risk having never managed at that sort of level before. I don't see too many other candidates.

lurganblue

Is there anything to be said for Neil Lennon?  ;)

lurganblue

To go with McCarthy would be pointless in my opinion.  I dont see him doing anything different than MON has done with that squad as i think their styles are similar.

Kenny may be worth a risk.  I dont believe fans expect too much from this squad of players.  Maybe a shot on target once in a while.