Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Box at a decent level, seriously, that why there was no warm up fights before fighting Mayweather or films of his gym work, his boxing alot to be desired, nearly abit like the rocky film, stand there and get the head beat off him.

Had say earlier on this thread that this would go the distance as Mayweather didn't have knock out power and is 40 and hasnt fought in 2 years, didnt train that hard and most importantly only fights people he know he can beat.

This wasn't even close, Mayweather started with his usual defensive stance giving McGregor a couple of rounds at the start, but once he went on the attack, the difference between the 2 as expected was night and day, a farce and 1 sided contest as expected, i still think it brought shame to boxing that the boxing authorities okayed this fight, as all the greedy f**kers wanted was everyone money. Thought someone say McGregor was a hard hitter?

Probably see a photo now of both them on a bed laughing been showered in money, in the next few days

Manny would have loved this type of forward attack from Mayweather in his fight

Hell it was as on sided as Mayo mauling Roscommon

Medic

Exclusive Conor McGregor Interview after Floyd Mayweather fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzGZR1YuP0
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

CiKe

Not seen it yet but sounds like Conor acquitted himself about as well as  expected. That said, from reading the comments here and elsewhere two things stand out

i) his power. Is it real or is it just he couldnt land anything clean on Mayweather?
ii) the notion of him being a supreme athlete seems to have been blown apart. Why did he gas so early?

If he didn't make a $100mn I think there would be serious questions asked of Kavanagh.

Aaron Boone

One-sided. 25 Euro down the swannie, direct to Rupert Murdoch.

Wildweasel74

sure he run out of steam fighting Diaz too, the dehydrating down process then jumping on the weight again doesn't work, Eubank used to do this and always run out of steam after the 8th round, Mayweather wasn't even sweating that hard

Capt Pat

Is it back to the UFC now for McGregor or will he stick with the boxing?

Atticus_Finch

McGregor did as well as he could have. 

In terms of anyone criticising for not pacing himself I think that's a bit harsh.  The guy has never had a pro boxing fight.  Boxers that go pro (even if they've got an extensive amateur fight background) would never go into a 12 rounder for their first fight. Usually starting off with a four rounder and building up to 12 over over four or five fights.

McGregor's biggest achievement was talking himself into getting a shot.

Mayweather eclipsing Marciano's record will always be a bit tainted for me.  Not a great way to achieve the record for him against a guy in his first pro fight but he is never going to turn down an easy lucrative pay day.

There was a bit of an outcry from many in the media about pros going in against amateurs for the Olympics on the basis it would be a mismatch.  Never was the same outcry about this one, McGregor was able to get the same people to overlook that by convincing many that he had a chance.  Fair play to him.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Wildweasel74

Still to boxing, excately who can he fight that he would beat, if he starting at a high level looking paydays? he got no defence, punching power maybe now in question too and not fit enough to go 12 rounds without running out of steam, its back to the UFC were maybe he fight the no1 rated fighter at his level and not a 5th ranked one like Diaz

Wildweasel74

Who did he convince he had a chance? maybe some idiots watching UFC flat out thought he had one but no body in the real world did.

Syferus

Quote from: CiKe on August 27, 2017, 11:50:22 AM
Not seen it yet but sounds like Conor acquitted himself about as well as  expected. That said, from reading the comments here and elsewhere two things stand out

i) his power. Is it real or is it just he couldnt land anything clean on Mayweather?
ii) the notion of him being a supreme athlete seems to have been blown apart. Why did he gas so early?

If he didn't make a $100mn I think there would be serious questions asked of Kavanagh.

I'd trust the video a lot more than I would anything the people here who were proven quite wrong. McGregor acquitted himself better than almost all Mayweather challengers have in the past.

McGregor has never fought 12 championship rounds against a world class boxer. Him tiring had nothing to do with his athetcism or his conditioning, both of which were obviously of a very high level. Even boxers have to build up the experience and stamina to last 12 rounds.

Medic

Skip Bayless Reacts to Floyd Mayweather KO Conor McGregor  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6S33r43mo
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

on the sideline

Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2017, 06:22:48 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2017, 06:19:44 AM
Quote from: on the sideline on August 27, 2017, 06:16:44 AM
Can see McGregors complaint of that being stopped early. If you've watched any of his UFC fights that have gone the distance then his legs going isn't a new thing - but it doesn't mean he's done. Like he said look at the second Diaz fight. Maybe it wouldn't have lasted much longer after that or maybe he could have held out to the end of the round - remember Roddy told him to take the round off to save himself for a big finish.  Either way he acquitted himself very well.  Out of curiosity does anyone know the what the scores were up to that point?

He was done. He wasn't protecting himself and he wasn't throwing any punches of his own. Nothing wrong with the stoppage at all.

Good stoppage. Most people want to see the fight go until someone is out cold. But it was the right decision, McGregor had nothing left and was unable to defend himself properly.

This interview is what I was talking about. Don't think there's anybody better placed to talk about it than the man himself.  If John McCarthy took the same view as the ref last night he would have stopped the McGregor Diaz 2 fight in the third when McGregor looked gassed, but he knew the fighter and gave him a chance to continue, and look what happened from that point on. 

I'm not saying McGregor was going to come back and win the fight, he may not even have got out of that round before Mayweather dropped him and that would have been that - we'll never know - but at that point when it was stopped, if you've seen McGregor fight before and like he says himself in this interview you'll know he goes like that, wobbly looking like he's done, that he can come through it and go again and it's not like he was taking any big shots or dmage at the stage where it was stopped.  He clearly felt that was the case himself and like I said he's the one best placed to sum up the timing of the stoppage.  Though with a referee unfamiliar with this aspect of McGregors tendency to go like this, you can also see why he felt it might have been time to step in.  But fair play to him, talked himself into a multi million pound fight, acquitted himself very well and wasn't the embarrassment many people on here thought he was going to be. 

http://www.benchwarmers.ie/bench/watch-full-mcgregor-post-fight-interview/138528/#.WaKksH_TXYV

Syferus

Quote from: on the sideline on August 27, 2017, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2017, 06:22:48 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2017, 06:19:44 AM
Quote from: on the sideline on August 27, 2017, 06:16:44 AM
Can see McGregors complaint of that being stopped early. If you've watched any of his UFC fights that have gone the distance then his legs going isn't a new thing - but it doesn't mean he's done. Like he said look at the second Diaz fight. Maybe it wouldn't have lasted much longer after that or maybe he could have held out to the end of the round - remember Roddy told him to take the round off to save himself for a big finish.  Either way he acquitted himself very well.  Out of curiosity does anyone know the what the scores were up to that point?

He was done. He wasn't protecting himself and he wasn't throwing any punches of his own. Nothing wrong with the stoppage at all.

Good stoppage. Most people want to see the fight go until someone is out cold. But it was the right decision, McGregor had nothing left and was unable to defend himself properly.

This interview is what I was talking about. Don't think there's anybody better placed to talk about it than the man himself.  If John McCarthy took the same view as the ref last night he would have stopped the McGregor Diaz 2 fight in the third when McGregor looked gassed, but he knew the fighter and gave him a chance to continue, and look what happened from that point on. 

I'm not saying McGregor was going to come back and win the fight, he may not even have got out of that round before Mayweather dropped him and that would have been that - we'll never know - but at that point when it was stopped, if you've seen McGregor fight before and like he says himself in this interview you'll know he goes like that, wobbly looking like he's done, that he can come through it and go again and it's not like he was taking any big shots or dmage at the stage where it was stopped.  He clearly felt that was the case himself and like I said he's the one best placed to sum up the timing of the stoppage.  Though with a referee unfamiliar with this aspect of McGregors tendency to go like this, you can also see why he felt it might have been time to step in.  But fair play to him, talked himself into a multi million pound fight, acquitted himself very well and wasn't the embarrassment many people on here thought he was going to be. 

http://www.benchwarmers.ie/bench/watch-full-mcgregor-post-fight-interview/138528/#.WaKksH_TXYV

I felt it was obvious that the boxing ref was always blaming McGregor for hitting from behind when it was mainly Mayweather dropping the head or (bizarrely) turning his back to McGregor. There was even a point where McGregor rocked Mayweather legally but the ref stepped in and stole McGregor's momentum for reasons unknown. I think it was very hard to find a boxing ref who could officiate this fight without bringing preconceived baggage about McGregor.

Wildweasel74

acquitted himself very well ??

in what way getting the head beat off him??

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2017, 12:10:37 PM
Who did he convince he had a chance? maybe some idiots watching UFC flat out thought he had one but no body in the real world did.

There was more than a few idiots. The vast majority of money places on the fight was for McGregor.  You could argue that was placed in hope rather than expectation.

The fact that fight got sanctioned rather than get dismissed as a ridiculous mismatch says he convinced influential people.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/world-reacts-to-floyd-mayweatherconor-mcgregor-megafight/news-story/72fd0ca69ca827f086d8f1f73a60a463

Always question punch stats these days. Particularly after the pacquiao vs horn bout which stats had pacquiao clearly winning but the below bit was interesting:

"McGregor's debut in the ring may have ended in heartbreak, but at least the Irishman has something to brag about.

McGregor's effort against Mayweather saw him land more successful punches than Manny Pacquiao in his superfight against the undefeated star in 2015.

McGregor sits behind only Canelo Alvarez for the most blows landed on the 40-year-old in his 50-fight history."

I doubt the above could be true. 

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."