2012 county hurling championships

Started by joe bloggs, September 16, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Tipp Dinny Cahill? Jaysus I didn't know that. He's a good man to get in there.

joe bloggs

Yes that's the one. Hubert Rigney is one of his selectors

tommysmith

It's great to see a bit of life on the hurling section here  :D

waterfordlad

In Waterford it'll be Mount Sion v De La Salle in one semi final and Dungarvan and Fourmilewater in the other so it'll be a city v county final which should be good. I'd say its decades since either Dungarvan or Fourmilewater were in a senior final. Ballygunner last years champions were beaten by Mount Sion last Sunday.

Dag Dog

The big news in Limerick was Kilmallock giving Na Piarsaigh an 11 point beating at the weekend.
Only last February Na Piarsaigh lost to Loughgiel in extra-time.

NP actually lead at half time, before Kilmallock cut loose in the 2nd half.
Graeme Mulcahy finished the day with 3-3

Kilmallock (managed by Tony Considine) will play Adare in the county final. If Kilmallock keep the heads, they should be real contenders for the All Ireland club title.

bp

Adare, being managed by fellow Clareman, and also previous Clare senior manager, Ger (Sparrow) O'Loughlin.

Kilmallock fairly dished out a good beating to NaP in the second half, but the concession of 4.13 might be a bit of a worry.

Milltown Row2

How's the Galway championship going? I take it they haven't played anymore rounds since the semi final. Are the group rounds completed? Have all the big guns got through to the knock out stages? Portumna, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, St Thomas, TAD??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Galway at quarter-final stage

Portumna v Turloughmore
Castlegar v St Thomas'
Gort v Padraig Pearses
Mullagh v Loughrea

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 18, 2012, 03:56:57 PM

Portumna v Turloughmore
Castlegar v St Thomas'
Gort v Padraig Pearses
Mullagh v Loughrea

Were Clarinbridge not in a relegation battle?

AZOffaly

I think they were. I seem to remember some news about them struggling alright.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 18, 2012, 03:58:15 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 18, 2012, 03:56:57 PM

Portumna v Turloughmore
Castlegar v St Thomas'
Gort v Padraig Pearses
Mullagh v Loughrea
Were Clarinbridge not in a relegation battle?

Gort and  Mullagh, didn't they play in the 7 Kilmacud finals? 

Watched St Thomas's a few years back in a the minor final against Loughrea, cracking game which they won I think, most of those lads would be senior players now I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Yeah Clarinbridge were in a relegation fight. Not sure what stage they at it? Haven't kept a close eye on the scrap for the drop.

Think Portumna, St Thomas, Gort and Loughrea will be favoured to advance. Not sure where the biggest potential for a shock is. Mullagh could run Loughrea very close. They hammered Sarsfields in the last round.

St Thomas' have been doing very well at underage in recent years so have a lot of talented young players coming through. Lads like David Burke, Bernard Burke, Conor Cooney and James Regan. Anthony Cunningham's club also.

Dag Dog

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 18, 2012, 04:09:59 PM
St Thomas' have been doing very well at underage in recent years so have a lot of talented young players coming through. Lads like David Burke, Bernard Burke, Conor Cooney and James Regan. Anthony Cunningham's club also.
I never heard of them featuring in the closing stages in Galway. Is there any reason for the upsurge?

joe bloggs

Quote from: Dag Dog on September 19, 2012, 05:33:54 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 18, 2012, 04:09:59 PM
I never heard of them featuring in the closing stages in Galway. Is there any reason for the upsurge?

They have performed well at minor level in recent years and if you look at the names mentioned above, these lads will be hurling with Galway for many years to come

homeofhurling8

Tipp is at the quarter final stage this weekend with Mullinahone v Loughmore-Castleiney and Clonoulty Rossmore v Drom and Inch on saturday in Tom Semples field at 18.00 and 19.30 respectively and Thurles Sarsfields v Kildangan and Portroe v Eire og Annacarthy in the same field at the same times on Sunday.