Hypocrisy in action.

Started by T Fearon, May 02, 2015, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

I've learned, Tony, that there is much that is beyond you, not least of which is empathy and compassion, keystone elements of what it is to be a Christian, qualities that Pope Francis, you know, your spiritual head, believes in.  You do have judgmentitis galore, but that's not a Christian virtue.

The Subbie

T Fearon

I possess and demonstrate empathy and compassion when it's merited.

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 06:53:38 AM

That would be a matter of opinion ???

theskull1

You possess empathy like you possess reason Tony

Somewhere between a talking snake and a talking donkey Leviticus tells the good flock what to do if they catch themselves a homo.

OK God whatever you say  ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
It's simple.If you don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church (all of them) then cease being a Church member
Tony sadly that is what many are doing as the church struggles to stay relevant to the young in particular. I find fundamentalism be it catholic or protestant at odds with the actual teachings of Jesus, for example "let he who is without sin", love thy neighbour etc. In the past the Church taught that Lepers were smitten by God because of their sinfulness and the Church declared them dead, this in spite of the fact that Jesus embraced them.

theskull1

Atheists that I know are more "Christian" than many Christians I know.  They are more compassionate, tolerant and accept all human beings
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

You are missing the point about Christian compassion and mercy.This is afforded when sinners show remorse and repent.There is and never was any compassion or tolerance available to those who continue with sinful ways.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 12:06:24 PM
You are missing the point about Christian compassion and mercy.This is afforded when sinners show remorse and repent.There is and never was any compassion or tolerance available to those who continue with sinful ways.
Who are you to say what is sinful?

T Fearon

I dont.I am guided by my Church and the Bible in that respect.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 06:53:38 AM

That is you in a nutshell.

Empathy and compassion have nothing to do with 'merit'. These are qualities that are all about the person demonstrating them and not about the people to whom they are directed. You limit empathy or compassion to those you deem worthy. If you can only empathise and show compassion with your own sort, while displaying open hostility to everyone else, then you don't possess empathy or compassion. You are simply looking after people who can benefit yourself.

Reserving these traits for cases which merit them is the complete opposite to the teachings you pretend to preach. However, it is not that far removed from the lack of empathy and compassion shown by the Catholic Church in Ireland in recent decades. For example you show what you think is empathy and compassion for Sean Brady, but none whatsoever for Brendan's Smyth's victims, or particularly for the parents of victims to whom you apportion blame. Sean Brady can help you achieve your eternal reward, the others can't. Empathy and compassion is not what you are about Tony.

Delusion might be a better word.

That you wrote this on your own thread, which YOU titled 'hypocrisy in action', convinces me that there is a God, and that He has a great sense of humour.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

You must be headed for a sainthood at this point Tony going by everything you say here.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 01:53:32 PM
I dont.I am guided by my Church and the Bible in that respect.

Says the man who is the always bragging about his bets coming up

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs."

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

"Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it"

"He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity."

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 06, 2015, 02:04:23 PM

"He who loves money free tickets will not be satisfied with money join the dots competitions, nor he who loves wealth freeloading at concerts with his income; this also is vanity."

Fixed that for you.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2015, 02:10:42 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 06, 2015, 02:04:23 PM

"He who loves money free tickets will not be satisfied with money join the dots competitions, nor he who loves wealth freeloading at concerts with his income; this also is vanity."

Fixed that for you.

;D ;D ;D

Is that from the Book of Lamentations?
MWWSI 2017