Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenMan

Quote from: everymanaman on January 13, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
Just going through the Tyrone GAA Twitter feed and was seriously confused, is it a parody account?

No surprise. Any specific balls ups or just in general?

everymanaman

NotedObserver

Tyrone have strength in numbers beating a better Derry team than in recent years with only a few players from AI final game. Does anyone have any other comments on the game? 

twenty one yard free

Was in Armagh today,Kennedy I thought was MoM I couldn't see how Pete Harte got it whilst only on for 2nd half, Kyle Coney looks to be in great shape and got on a lot of ball,he could make the difference this year

omagh_gael

Quote from: twenty one yard free on January 13, 2019, 09:14:36 PM
Was in Armagh today,Kennedy I thought was MoM I couldn't see how Pete Harte got it whilst only on for 2nd half, Kyle Coney looks to be in great shape and got on a lot of ball,he could make the difference this year

Unresl how he didn't get the motm award!

Kyle is looking good at the minute. The only question is will he have the extra gears required for the hard ground in croker come August? He isn't blessed with great pace. However, it's great to see him moving the ball long via the foot pass. They don't all come off but could be a big weapon to get quality ball into our forward line in the summer.

Would big Kennedy be useful round the square for 10 minutes here and there?

LeoMc

Quote from: everymanaman on January 13, 2019, 06:11:17 PM
The scores were all over the shop
Aye it is a bit of a b0111x fi you have their feed and the TeamTalk feed (or indeed any other feed) coming in as they are usually 1-2 scores behind or out.

Frank_The_Tank

what time is the coin toss to decide the venue for the final?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

deadman

Attended the game yesterday, few thoughts:

Brian Kennedy was a big standout, he was brilliant. A huge physical presence, took some great clean catches around midfield but was also impressive in his tackling. He stopped Derry moves in their tracks several times.
One thing he probably needs to add to his game is confidence in the final third to drive on and take the score, he has all the ability to power past tackles and set up and easy shot for himself, or even to get through on goal. Not many defenders in the game with the size and strength to stop him. That confidence will hopefully come with experience on down the line you'd imagine.

Peter Harte showed his class when he came on. Went toe-to-toe with McKaigue and got the better of him, and acted as a focal point for the Tyrone attack which it sorely missed in the first half. Combined well with Coney on a number of occasions, a nice throwback to the '08 minor days. Looks to have been working on his free-kicking technique, looked very assured on placed balls.

Coney was good, very positive on the ball, always looking to create something. Frustrating that we won't get to see the full extent of his great range of passing more frequently, such is the cluttered defensive shape that will be adopted by opponents. He got through a mountain of possession and there is a serious improvement in his work rate from his last Tyrone stint.

Poor games from Conall McCann and Cathal McShane, both guilty of handling errors and poor decision-making. Bit puzzling that Harte kept them on long after half-time when we had options on the bench.

Ronan O'Neill a real worry. Seems to be getting a lot of chances so far, he looked off the pace, shipped off at halftime. Would worry for his place in the standing, given McCurry back in the mix and Brennan now arguably the chief scoring forward in the panel. 

Another encouraging cameo from Canavan Jr. Showed a bit of guile and trickery to wriggle out of a few tackles and clip over a lovely point. Brave like his auld boy, threw himself into 50/50s and won a few important frees. Very much a boy still, was swallowed up and threw off it a few times, but give him a year under Peter Donnelly and he'll no doubt meet the physical demands of the game. Was receiving a lot of encouragement from the line, notably Gavin Devlin, when involved in good things.

Overall I'd say Mickey Harte would be far from overjoyed with the performance. There were a lot of errors in possession, simple handling and a reticence to shoot when well-placed. Nothing that can't be ironed out.

Fuzzman

Saturday night in the Athletic grounds and live on TG4 I believe

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: deadman on January 14, 2019, 11:01:13 AM
Attended the game yesterday, few thoughts:

Brian Kennedy was a big standout, he was brilliant. A huge physical presence, took some great clean catches around midfield but was also impressive in his tackling. He stopped Derry moves in their tracks several times.
One thing he probably needs to add to his game is confidence in the final third to drive on and take the score, he has all the ability to power past tackles and set up and easy shot for himself, or even to get through on goal. Not many defenders in the game with the size and strength to stop him. That confidence will hopefully come with experience on down the line you'd imagine.

Peter Harte showed his class when he came on. Went toe-to-toe with McKaigue and got the better of him, and acted as a focal point for the Tyrone attack which it sorely missed in the first half. Combined well with Coney on a number of occasions, a nice throwback to the '08 minor days. Looks to have been working on his free-kicking technique, looked very assured on placed balls.

Coney was good, very positive on the ball, always looking to create something. Frustrating that we won't get to see the full extent of his great range of passing more frequently, such is the cluttered defensive shape that will be adopted by opponents. He got through a mountain of possession and there is a serious improvement in his work rate from his last Tyrone stint.

Poor games from Conall McCann and Cathal McShane, both guilty of handling errors and poor decision-making. Bit puzzling that Harte kept them on long after half-time when we had options on the bench.

Ronan O'Neill a real worry. Seems to be getting a lot of chances so far, he looked off the pace, shipped off at halftime. Would worry for his place in the standing, given McCurry back in the mix and Brennan now arguably the chief scoring forward in the panel. 

Another encouraging cameo from Canavan Jr. Showed a bit of guile and trickery to wriggle out of a few tackles and clip over a lovely point. Brave like his auld boy, threw himself into 50/50s and won a few important frees. Very much a boy still, was swallowed up and threw off it a few times, but give him a year under Peter Donnelly and he'll no doubt meet the physical demands of the game. Was receiving a lot of encouragement from the line, notably Gavin Devlin, when involved in good things.

Overall I'd say Mickey Harte would be far from overjoyed with the performance. There were a lot of errors in possession, simple handling and a reticence to shoot when well-placed. Nothing that can't be ironed out.

Harte is notoriously reticent to praise individual players in interviews but he has picked out Kennedy twice in interviews now after McKenna Cup games, referencing his physicality and tackling ability. I expect him to start in Killarney in two weeks time and it looks as if a midfield spot is his to lose at the moment.

I also see Harte picked Canavan out for praise yesterday in his interview. I thought he would eventually transition back to the under 20s this year but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know when this decision would need to be made by? Could Canavan stay on the panel for the whole League campaign and then switch back to the u20s if he wasn't getting much game time?

Expecting a much stronger lineup this Saturday. Of the players who featured in the All Ireland final, none of the following have featured for us yet in 2019 and if we want them to hit the ground running in Kerry they would need some gametime under their belt: McNamee, Hampsey, McCann, Colm Cav, Mattie and Richie Donnelly, Kieran McGeary, Skeet, Harry Loughran

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 14, 2019, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 14, 2019, 02:57:57 PM
Harte is notoriously reticent to praise individual players in interviews but he has picked out Kennedy twice in interviews now after McKenna Cup games, referencing his physicality and tackling ability. I expect him to start in Killarney in two weeks time and it looks as if a midfield spot is his to lose at the moment.

I also see Harte picked Canavan out for praise yesterday in his interview. I thought he would eventually transition back to the under 20s this year but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know when this decision would need to be made by? Could Canavan stay on the panel for the whole League campaign and then switch back to the u20s if he wasn't getting much game time?

Expecting a much stronger lineup this Saturday. Of the players who featured in the All Ireland final, none of the following have featured for us yet in 2019 and if we want them to hit the ground running in Kerry they would need some gametime under their belt: McNamee, Hampsey, McCann, Colm Cav, Mattie and Richie Donnelly, Kieran McGeary, Skeet, Harry Loughran

You'll see a few established names back on Saturday as 7 or 8 of the panel will be with Ulster University as they play Tralee in Sigerson this weekend. However of the names you've mentioned above, there's no chance you'll see Skeet. It's almost a miracle he's on the field and running after his leg break in the Club Championship, he's a few months away yet.

Who all do we have from Ulster University? McKernan, Burns, McDonnell, Kennedy, Lee - am I missing anyone?

Fuzzman

Does he have to cut the squad down to 30 something for the league or can the squad be larger or changeable?

Was just chatting to a few lads yesterday about how much more competitive the squad is and for the first time in years we have several options around midfield and even some forwards again to choose from.
If you had to rank your top 10 forwards how would you pick.
For me I think it would be...
P.Harte
Brennan
Sludden
Skeet
Mulgrew
Bradley (when he returns)
McCurry
McShane
Coney
McGeary

Canavan is probably still a bit too young and light yet

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 15, 2019, 09:17:34 AM
Does he have to cut the squad down to 30 something for the league or can the squad be larger or changeable?

Was just chatting to a few lads yesterday about how much more competitive the squad is and for the first time in years we have several options around midfield and even some forwards again to choose from.
P.Harte
Brennan
Sludden
Skeet
Mulgrew
McCurry
McShane
Coney
McGeary

i dont think Bradley is going to be an option this year at all.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

youhavenofans

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 15, 2019, 09:50:56 AM

P.Harte
Brennan
Sludden
Skeet
Mulgrew
McCurry
McShane
Coney
McGeary

x2 and laughable how is isnt ahead of Mulgrew.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: youhavenofans on January 15, 2019, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 15, 2019, 09:50:56 AM

P.Harte
Brennan
Sludden
Skeet
Mulgrew
McCurry
McShane
Coney
McGeary

x2 and laughable how is isnt ahead of Mulgrew.

and Brennan and Skeet.

Ridiculous to try and compare some of the players on that list. How can you compare Peter Harte or Cathal McShane, who both play around the middle, to Brennan or McCurry.

Fuzzman also seems to have omitted our number 10, Captain and two time allstar Mattie Donnelly...