Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2022, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2022, 10:09:43 AM
As already said, if players don't want to travel then why in this case is he not doing a county transfer too?
Not written in stone, but the Dubs have a policy not to take players from other counties. There are some exceptions, such as:
- Declan Darcy moved from Leitrim to Dublin, but he was a Dub playing for Leitrim.
- We had a sub goalie who played underage for Kerry (Brian Murphy) on the panel for a while, but he hadn't played senior for Kerry
- Mick Deegan (good Dubs half back in his day) had a son Michael who grew up in Meath and played for Ashbourne. But Michael only ever wanted to play for the Dubs so played minor and U21 for the Dubs and not Meath. I think he eventually transferred to a Dublin club.

Rory Gallagher was the one where it came under most scrutiny. He was playing with Brigids and was a top class freetaker - something Dublin badly needed at the time.  So a number of meetings were had to discuss, as he was willing and eager to play for the Dubs. But it was decided that we'd stick to not taking players who'd played with other counties, unless they had very strong Dublin ties.

So unless Shane has a Dub mother or father, I think the chances of Dubs accepting him are close to zero. (Not that I'm saying he'd want to transfer!)

None of the above applies to hurling - we happily accept Kilkenny, Tipp, etc. castoffs who live in the big city!
Paddy Quinn from Tyrone played football for the Dubs under Jim Gavin.

Silver hill

That's not the point I was making. What I'm saying is that with the robust transfer policy outside the cities, the JP scenario can't happen. It could happen in a city though with the loopholes that are there at present. Crokes are a rich club and could become the JP if they so wanted. Walsh this year, Clifford next year. Rian O'Neill after that. A little like what goes on in the states every year with trophy players being flown over. With Crokes, they almost got it done last year, the temptation to lure in Walsh as the final piece of the jigsaw may be too strong to resist. The hope would be that there is enough right thinking people internally to oppose it. (Though the fact that it's been made public would indicate that it's already gone past that)

imtommygunn

Walsh lives in Dublin. Do Clifford or O'Neill or will they? You're pointing at something way over and above what is happening here. Have Crokes got him to come to Dublin in the first place? That seems to be almost what you are indicating?

I struggle with some rationale here. It would be ok if he went to a mediocre club but not if he goes to a good club. Then you're talking about a JP McManus scenario but Walsh was in Dublin and subsequently has asked for a transfer.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Silver hill on August 03, 2022, 08:20:49 PM
If he had a job or married a local girl and was settled in the parish then yes, we would endorse the transfer request

And if your club was half a mile from a University would you take a full time student?

Kilkerrin/Clonberne's statement was bizarre. The block the transfer ona technicality. Then what?

RedHand88

Alex Jones lawyer accidentally sending a digital copy of his cell phone to the Sandy Hook lawyers, then him finding this out whilst on the stand.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1554882192961982465?s=21&t=u84HA5snUDQZsg3RZkCc3Q

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 04, 2022, 08:52:25 AM
Walsh lives in Dublin. Do Clifford or O'Neill or will they? You're pointing at something way over and above what is happening here. Have Crokes got him to come to Dublin in the first place? That seems to be almost what you are indicating?

I struggle with some rationale here. It would be ok if he went to a mediocre club but not if he goes to a good club. Then you're talking about a JP McManus scenario but Walsh was in Dublin and subsequently has asked for a transfer.
Crokes only have 2 all Irelands compared to Cross and Corofin.
The GAA is very sloppy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/139f790b-fd56-40da-9d76-750a2da186b9

Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has been ordered to pay $4.1mn in damages to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim, dealing a blow to one of America's most notorious peddlers of misinformation.

A Texas jury on Thursday awarded compensatory damages for the emotional distress Jones's company caused by falsely claiming the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six teachers were killed, was a hoax staged to justify gun control.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 05, 2022, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 05, 2022, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: clarshack on August 05, 2022, 12:57:10 PM
hopefully this isn't true?

https://twitter.com/jfk2005/status/1555213191684268034

Its true. There's loads of photos/ videos on Instagram.

Now now, this chap might identify as a woman on Wednesdays.

Someone sent me this last night, thought it was a piss take tbf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

It ends with me scoring 3-3 in the Derry Ladies Cship final this year. Watch this space 😎

Or the u13 boys. In tandem with me eldest. Wifey gona be so proud. Havent decided which one yet

imtommygunn

It's something that is happening in a lot of sports and was always inevitable in the GAA too. Massive hot potato.