Voice calls

Started by Eamonnca1, August 10, 2022, 05:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Who here still makes voice calls on the phone? I've always hated it, and I'm delighted to see it disappearing. If I need to ring someone I've been known to put it off for days. There's just something weird and unnatural about taking to someone you can't see, it never sat right with me.

armaghniac

There is something wierd about not being able to face using a phone.
Do you prefer to receive texts from someone you cannot see and have never met?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jell 0 Biafra

I hate it.  Will do it when I have to, but like Eamon, will put it off for days. 

There was never a phone in my house growing up, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I never bothered with a mobile until 2015, and rarely use it as a phone even now.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2022, 06:07:11 PM
There is something wierd about not being able to face using a phone.
Do you prefer to receive texts from someone you cannot see and have never met?

Yes, I prefer texts. You can ignore them, reply to them immediately, or reply to them later when you're ready. You're in complete control with texts. With a voice call you're put on the spot and expected to speak now. When ringing someone else I have to psych myself up, prepare what I'm going to say, and take a breath beforehand because I'm afraid I'm going to be out of breath. And when it goes to voicemail, which is almost always does nowadays because nobody wants to answer anymore, I breathe a big sigh of relief and usually hang up and send a text.

I suppose I'm just out of practice. Sometimes when I've been in roles that involved a lot of voice calling I got used to it for a while, but now that I'm back out of it I just cannot stand voice calling.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2022, 05:33:21 PM
Who here still makes voice calls on the phone? I've always hated it, and I'm delighted to see it disappearing. If I need to ring someone I've been known to put it off for days. There's just something weird and unnatural about taking to someone you can't see, it never sat right with me.

Probably explains why you're a hero member on a message board forum for middle aged men and above

Itchy

Some of ye must be very insecure, very unhealthy to avoid direct conversation with people in my opinion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on August 11, 2022, 04:06:42 AM

Probably explains why you're a hero member on a message board forum for middle aged men and above

You'd be a hero member if you can stay on the board long enough with the same name
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 08:43:07 AM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on August 11, 2022, 04:06:42 AM

You'd be a hero member if you can stay on the board long enough with the same name

MR2 with the win for today and all before elevenses 😊

trailer

Being able to hold a conversation is a key human skill.

oakleaflad

Voice notes seem to be rising in popularity with the youth. Quicker than texting and I suppose you don't have to send if you aren't happy with what you've said.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2022, 09:35:08 AM

The younger ones can't or struggle with 'live' chat unless with their friends, its down to social media and how kids interact nowadays
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: oakleaflad on August 11, 2022, 09:38:31 AM
Voice notes seem to be rising in popularity with the youth. Quicker than texting and I suppose you don't have to send if you aren't happy with what you've said.

Aye but that's not really interacting and responding in real time.

At times I like Whatsapp or whatever if I'm in no rush for an answer and the other person might be busy and I respond accordingly to a message like that myself.

If I want to know something right away, I'll call the person rather than half a dozen messages etc etc.

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 09:56:37 AM

The younger ones can't or struggle with 'live' chat unless with their friends, its down to social media and how kids interact nowadays

I don't think it particularly different from any generation before. Some kids are brilliant and some are shyer.
Being able to talk and hold a conversation is something that you need to practice and work on. Anyone can do it. It's like soloing a football. It requires lots of practice.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2022, 10:22:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 09:56:37 AM

I don't think it particularly different from any generation before. Some kids are brilliant and some are shyer.
Being able to talk and hold a conversation is something that you need to practice and work on. Anyone can do it. It's like soloing a football. It requires lots of practice.

Maybe, probably didn't notice it as much when I was that age, what I do remember when I was in previous job, I used to meet up with employers and bring students along to see manufacturing plants/factories,  the minute they got off the minibus their heads were down and no eye contact given when speaking to employers, christ it was bad, even worse when we arranged interviews... These same kids ya couldn't shut up in class!!

An Watcher

I think there is a real issue with teenagers holding a conversation these.  Things that you take for granted like chatting with strangers, answering the phone to someone, saying hello etc etc.  I think young ones now are so socially awkward and it's getting worse