Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Tayto, I'm with ye on this, but a Rugby pitch is not the same length as a GAA pitch, and certainly not the same width. Nor is a Soccer pitch.

tayto

So that graphic is useless?

magpie seanie

Some FACTS  - rugby pitch is 100m long with min 10m per end in goal areas = 120m.

GAA pitch - minimum length 130m, maximum length 150m. 130m > 140 yards.

tayto

hoop

Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 02:04:31 PM
Now of course he'll try and change tack as it seems a rugby pitch is just as long as a GAA pitch and no one ever complained about the old stand in lansdowne being too far away.

The terrace in Lansdowne was about six yards behind the goals at soccer matches.

Try harder.

dublinfella

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 23, 2007, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM
Well apparently the GAA pitch TD want will leave you further away fromt he pitch then a running track. Which sounds like balderdash to me.

Although to play soccer on a GAA-sized pitch undoubtedly makes the view worse for soccer spectators and impacts upon the atmosphere, I didn't think that it was these factors per se to which Rovers were objecting when asked to enlarge the pitch. Nor is it anti-GAA sentiment generally, since they have stated they are quite happy to allow under-age GAA games to be played (these use a smaller pitch than senior games).

Rather, I thought that incorporating a much larger playing area for (adult) GAA would so reduce the area available for grandstands that the spectator capacity would become totally inadequate for Rovers' needs.

(P.S. This is merely a point of information, not an attempt to intervene in the argument  ;))

That was my understandling as well.

Interesting to see someone state that the seating arrangements are the main point of consideration when building a municipal stadium. You get the feeling he'd argue the exact opposite if Rovers needed the longer pitch. I even got labelled a bigot for not caring if the soccer fans would be sitting further away then they'd like.

Now of course he'll try and change tack as it seems a rugby pitch is just as long as a GAA pitch and no one ever complained about the old stand in lansdowne being too far away.

A load of nonsense.

you have managed to contradict yourself twice in the one post. good man.

tayto

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 02:17:36 PM

The terrace in Lansdowne was about six yards behind the goals at soccer matches.

Try harder.

I was going on the pitch size graphic which it now seems is incorrect.

SammyG

All

Please ignore the graphic (in my last post), in relation to rugby. The GAA and football pitches are correct but the rugby pitch is clearly wrong. It wasn't done by me and the original was correct, I've obviously linked to a duff version. I'll update once I can find the correct version, although this still gives a view of the soccer/GAA demensions (which are what's being discussed).

magpie seanie

Soccer pitch dimensions (from FIFA website):
Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds), maximum 120 m (130 yds)
Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds) maximum 90 m (100 yds) 

GAA pitch dimensions (From GAA website):
Length: minimum 130m, maximum 145m;
Width: minimum 80m, maximum 90m.

Both pitches must be rectangular.

hoop

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2007, 02:43:12 PM
Soccer pitch dimensions (from FIFA website):
Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds), maximum 120 m (130 yds)
Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds) maximum 90 m (100 yds) 

GAA pitch dimensions (From GAA website):
Length: minimum 130m, maximum 145m;
Width: minimum 80m, maximum 90m.

Both pitches must be rectangular.

The soccer pitch in Tallaght Stadium was set at around 100 metres in length. Since it is also intended for underage games, this - rather than the maximum size - makes sense.

With run-off included (ten metres at either end) Thomas Davis want the surface extended to 160 metres.

tayto

Going for a larger soccer pitch and a smaller GAA pitch you're not talking all that dramaic a difference.

Seems obvious enough to me a compromise could be reached on pitch size.

Expand the soccer pitch to near the maximum dimensions and a smaller GAA pitch and you're only talking 10meters total. Tomas Davis wouldnt have much of a case if they were insisting on the biggest possible GAA pitch and turning down a smaller adult GAA pitch.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 23, 2007, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM
Well apparently the GAA pitch TD want will leave you further away fromt he pitch then a running track. Which sounds like balderdash to me.

Although to play soccer on a GAA-sized pitch undoubtedly makes the view worse for soccer spectators and impacts upon the atmosphere, I didn't think that it was these factors per se to which Rovers were objecting when asked to enlarge the pitch. Nor is it anti-GAA sentiment generally, since they have stated they are quite happy to allow under-age GAA games to be played (these use a smaller pitch than senior games).

Rather, I thought that incorporating a much larger playing area for (adult) GAA would so reduce the area available for grandstands that the spectator capacity would become totally inadequate for Rovers' needs.

(P.S. This is merely a point of information, not an attempt to intervene in the argument  ;))

That was my understandling as well.

Interesting to see someone state that the seating arrangements are the main point of consideration when building a municipal stadium. You get the feeling he'd argue the exact opposite if Rovers needed the longer pitch. I even got labelled a bigot for not caring if the soccer fans would be sitting further away then they'd like.

A load of nonsense.

I don't know whether it is I you mean when referring to "someone" and "he", but I fear you are missing the point, just the same as those who are saying that GAA pitch sizes alone make sharing impossible.

Rovers do not need a longer pitch, and even if appears that would make the site unsuitable in any case, since it would not be large enough to accommodate both a large soccer pitch and sufficiently large grandstands.

But I may be wrong about this. Anyone out there able to confirm/contradict?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

hoop

That maximum possible soccer pitch size is somewat bizarre in that just about NOBODY actually uses it. It's way too big.

I just did a quick google search and found that the pitch in Old Trafford measures 105m x 68m.

Evil Genius

Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 02:58:01 PM
Going for a larger soccer pitch and a smaller GAA pitch you're not talking all that dramaic a difference.

Seems obvious enough to me a compromise could be reached on pitch size.

Expand the soccer pitch to near the maximum dimensions and a smaller GAA pitch and you're only talking 10meters total. Tomas Davis wouldnt have much of a case if they were insisting on the biggest possible GAA pitch and turning down a smaller adult GAA pitch.

If I am correct in my earlier posts, such a compromise would not work, since the largest permissable soccer pitch (which would conform to the smallest permissable adult GAA pitch) would still leave inadequate space for the grandstands required by Rovers (plus the FAI for under-age internationals etc).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

hoop

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 23, 2007, 03:04:55 PM
Rovers do not need a longer pitch, and even if appears that would make the site unsuitable in any case, since it would not be large enough to accommodate both a large soccer pitch and sufficiently large grandstands.

But I may be wrong about this. Anyone out there able to confirm/contradict?

That is correct. The planned stadium - as a soccer stadium - fits snugly into the site.

Putting in an adult GAA pitch means either leaving out one side of the ground or "annexing" a hefty chunk of the grounds of the school next door.