Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoop

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 23, 2007, 01:20:17 PM
Its 100% correct Hoop.
Doesnt look pretty but facts are facts.

It's because of bile such as this that the thread is going around in circles.

So there were 3,000 morons last Friday in Tolka - just because two or three lowlife who couldn't give a damn about the club turn up???

Facts my arse.

SammyG

Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 12:36:48 PM
Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 12:20:09 PM
Again i disagree. You design a municipal stadium so it will get the mavimum useage from the community. Not to suit one tennant, even if they're the anchor tennant.

So do you want all the existing municipal stadiums pulled down and re-built to include GAA??? Why aren't full-sized GAA pitches already included in municipal stadiums??? Because they are TOO big and destroy the stadiums for everyone else - and because the GAA already has more stadiums than it knows what to do with.

It would be helpful if Thomas Davis were to finally reveal their amazing plans - but I won't hold my breath.

There you go being all melodramatic again. There are municipal stadia all over europe with running tracks and the like around them, i find it hard to believe a GAA pitch would leave you much further away then a running track does. Did those soccer clubs insist that athletics were left out because they'd destroy "their" stadium? It dosent help the atmosphere but i'm sure it doesnt destroy it either, or make the stadia useless for soccer. You can't be picky about the dimensions becuase you blew your chance to develop the site yourselves. A municipal stadia should be built to cater for the whole community. to say it would destroy the stadium for soccer is simply not true. Are you saying Croke Park is useless for the internationals? Was it useless for the Rugby? seemed to be a great atmosphere for the rugby despite the rugby pitch being small enough compared to the GAA pitch. My friend, if that is your only arguement them you've not got much to go on.

Without getting into the whole debate. The issue of a running track (or a dog track) is totally irrlevant to the discussion. A running track is 10 metres at each end and down the sides of the pitch, it is also incorpoated into the design for the stadium with steeper stands etc. A GAA pitch is 30 metres extra at each end (plus any runoff) and 15 metres extra at each side (plus any runoff). Hardly a fair comparison.

Would you like to play Gaelic games on a pitch that was 60 metres longer and 30 metres wider than was needed?

This is a graphic showing the max/min sizes (light and dark) for each of the codes.

hoop

Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2007, 01:23:00 PM
And there's the rub, ye still used it because nobody else would have ye. Same as ye'll use Tallaght along with the extra pitch dimensions once the court tells ye to. It's not like you're in much of a position to bargain now, is it?

It was used because it seemed like a good idea at the time. It turned out to be a major mistake because the fans hated it and stayed away in droves.

Do you actually KNOW anything about what you write - or do you just make up whatever you feel like???

his holiness nb

"
Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2007, 01:24:40 PM
Would you like to play Gaelic games on a pitch that was 60 metres longer and 30 metres wider than was needed?

Sammy in fairness though, Shamrock Rovers wont have to play on a pitch larger than their own code requires.

Same as in Croke park, it will be a normal soccer size pitch, with extra grass areas outside of the pitch area.

Plus you can add onto the 10 metres for the running track as there would need to be a gapp of a few more metres between the pitchside and the tracl (remember Lee Chapman for Leeds), not 30 metres by any means, but more than ten.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Sammy, I'd even say that graphic is underestimating the GAA Pitch vis a vis the Rugby Pitch. The 'in goal' areas behind the posts can be up to 20 metres deep, minimum of 10. That means a rugby pitch is a maximum of 140 metres, minimum of 120. A GAA pitch will be about 150 metres long.

tayto

Are you allowing for the curved corners of the runnig track? with a little run off either side of the track and soccer pitch inside it? The soccer pitch didnt seem that far away when I was in Croke Park for the internationals - strange place to go for an anti-soccer bigot eh?

Judging by that graphic lansdowne road should be useless for soccer as well.

hoop

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 23, 2007, 01:31:38 PM
Same as in Croke park, it will be a normal soccer size pitch, with extra grass areas outside of the pitch area

Extra grass??? Enough grass to build a feckin' housing estate more like.

stephenite

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 01:29:38 PM
Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2007, 01:23:00 PM
And there's the rub, ye still used it because nobody else would have ye. Same as ye'll use Tallaght along with the extra pitch dimensions once the court tells ye to. It's not like you're in much of a position to bargain now, is it?

It was used because it seemed like a good idea at the time. It turned out to be a major mistake because the fans hated it and stayed away in droves.

Do you actually KNOW anything about what you write - or do you just make up whatever you feel like???

Now,now, The Shams played quite a few games there, and God knows did enough damage in the Swiss Cottage,and by that I mean supporters causing actual damage to property and Nortside heads as opposed to their own liver. This in itself proves that at least the hardcore scum, sorry Ultras managed to make the journey

Anyway, any chance of answering my question and showing you me some concrete examples of professionalism in the GAA that you mentioned yesterday? Or, is this another thing that you spew than choose to ignore once you're pulled up on it? Any you have the audacity to accuse me not KNOWING what I write.

C'mon son - if you're gonna throw accuastions about at least have the maners to back yourself up. Otherwise you'll just look foolish

Evil Genius

Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM
Well apparently the GAA pitch TD want will leave you further away fromt he pitch then a running track. Which sounds like balderdash to me.

Although to play soccer on a GAA-sized pitch undoubtedly makes the view worse for soccer spectators and impacts upon the atmosphere, I didn't think that it was these factors per se to which Rovers were objecting when asked to enlarge the pitch. Nor is it anti-GAA sentiment generally, since they have stated they are quite happy to allow under-age GAA games to be played (these use a smaller pitch than senior games).

Rather, I thought that incorporating a much larger playing area for (adult) GAA would so reduce the area available for grandstands that the spectator capacity would become totally inadequate for Rovers' needs.

(P.S. This is merely a point of information, not an attempt to intervene in the argument  ;))
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dublinfella

Quote from: magickingdom on April 23, 2007, 12:55:08 PM
Quote from: hoop on April 22, 2007, 11:46:32 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on April 22, 2007, 11:34:22 PM

Their current campaign - which includes demanding that Bertie Ahern should overrule O'Donoghue - smacks of a growing realization that they don't stand a chance in Judicial Review.

than why was it granted? do you even know what a judicial review is? jrs can only be granted on a point of law so tds obiviously have a case. this whole
thing can be sorted out in a short period of time if rovers are willing to compromise. if there was a brain in the gene pool of the rovers supporters they would at least meet tds. their not even willing to do that unless tds drop their case. its a farce alright and rovers are playing a full part...

But the official line from TD last week was that this was nothing to do with Rovers and between them and O'Donoghue.

Now they want 'talks' with Rovers.

Flip flop.

Whats changed? Or is it TD not being able to get their story straight and starting to panic since costs have gone against them and clubs in the area are starting to walk away?

hoop

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 23, 2007, 01:40:42 PM
Rather, I thought that incorporating a much larger playing area for (adult) GAA would so reduce the area available for grandstands that the spectator capacity would become totally inadequate for Rovers' needs.

It's also a very important point of course. As far as I can see, the second (as yet un-built) stand would have to go.

Unfortunately, as long as Thomas Davis keep their amazing plans a closely guarded secret, it's all a bit unclear.

stephenite

What about the professionalism in the GAA Hoop ??? I'm totally against it so would really appreciate your evidence ::)

his holiness nb

You are correct re the pitch sidz EG, nothing to so with the argument, I think it was just brough up off the top of someones head in a desperate attempt to boost the argument and snowballed from there.
Anyway, I think every possible argument has been made for both sides on this thread.

We can drop it now and let the courts decide, or recycle the same old arguments again, and again, and again.

Easily the most tedious thread on the board at the moment
In the words of Gweltyah, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Ask me holy bollix

hoop

Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2007, 01:37:16 PM
Anyway, any chance of answering my question and showing you me some concrete examples of professionalism in the GAA that you mentioned yesterday?

Well they don't leave much evidence lying around of the cash being paid under the table by sponsors. That wouldn't help in the efforts to get the government to pay for all the expenses, would it???

But here's a quote by All-Ireland winning former Offaly football boss Eugene McGee
"Numerous outside managers get paid to do the job, which is in direct conflict with the amateur laws of the GAA," he wrote. "All leading GAA officials know this and many of them are directly involved in implementing the payments. The level of hypocrisy involved here is staggering for an organisation that keeps preaching the mantra: 'Gaelic games must always remain amateur'.

tayto

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 23, 2007, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM
Well apparently the GAA pitch TD want will leave you further away fromt he pitch then a running track. Which sounds like balderdash to me.

Although to play soccer on a GAA-sized pitch undoubtedly makes the view worse for soccer spectators and impacts upon the atmosphere, I didn't think that it was these factors per se to which Rovers were objecting when asked to enlarge the pitch. Nor is it anti-GAA sentiment generally, since they have stated they are quite happy to allow under-age GAA games to be played (these use a smaller pitch than senior games).

(P.S. This is merely a point of information, not an attempt to intervene in the argument  ;))

That was my understandling as well.

Interesting to see someone state that the seating arrangements are the main point of consideration when building a municipal stadium. You get the feeling he'd argue the exact opposite if Rovers needed the longer pitch. I even got labelled a bigot for not caring if the soccer fans would be sitting further away then they'd like.

Now of course he'll try and change tack as it seems a rugby pitch is just as long as a GAA pitch and no one ever complained about the old stand in lansdowne being too far away.

A load of nonsense.