Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoop

Quote from: blast05 on April 23, 2007, 10:21:13 AM
Allowing that we for a moment entertain that the 30 yds is the central issue, then have you any comment re my post above from earlier on ?

Thomas Davis want 160 yards including run-off. I don't know why 10 yards run-off is required behind GAA posts - possibly because 5 yards would involve the ball going into the crowd nearly every time a point is scored???

Extending a soccer pitch to be as long as possible is no solution. You can have that in the likes of Wembley perhaps, but expecting a team to play on an enormous pitch week in, week out is hardly a solution.

Working out some way to reduce the gap to say 25 yards is hardly a solution either. You design a stadium based on it's primary use - and not to facilitate a very occasional use.

magpie seanie

I actually felt physically sick when I read that abuse meted out to Webb over the weekend. Absolutely vile. I actually knew his brother a few years back and he's a good skin. I await the banning of the culprits but fear I'll be waiting a long time. I'm sure someone knows who they are. I wonder did any of our contributers here who heard it do anything to stop it or identify those who were doing it?

tayto

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 11:13:38 AM

Working out some way to reduce the gap to say 25 yards is hardly a solution either. You design a stadium based on it's primary use - and not to facilitate a very occasional use.

Again i disagree. You design a municipal stadium so it will get the mavimum useage from the community. Not to suit one tennant, even if they're the anchor tennant.

I would be interested to know how you'd feel about a rugby club using the site? As they'd ruin the playing surface.

I'm sure a compromise could be reached on the size, I see no problem with a soccer club having a big pitch in soccer terms.

hoop

Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 12:20:09 PM
Again i disagree. You design a municipal stadium so it will get the mavimum useage from the community. Not to suit one tennant, even if they're the anchor tennant.

So do you want all the existing municipal stadiums pulled down and re-built to include GAA??? Why aren't full-sized GAA pitches already included in municipal stadiums??? Because they are TOO big and destroy the stadiums for everyone else - and because the GAA already has more stadiums than it knows what to do with.

It would be helpful if Thomas Davis were to finally reveal their amazing plans - but I won't hold my breath.

Rugby would be fine - as long as the state of the pitch is carefully managed.

Mentalman

Not really interested in getting into the in's and out of Thomas Davis vs Shamrock Rovers, but the issue of the amount of space left behind the goals is a load of balls in my opinion. How many clubs in Europe play in municiple stadiums that incorporate running tracks? Having been to a number of games in such grounds I can't say it effected the atmosphere. You'd have to ask the players how they felt about it, but I imagine been out of range of missles isn't something they regret. For instance one club I'm very familiar with is DIF in Stockholm Sweden. They have been league champions 3 times in the last 5/6 years and play in Stockholms Olympic Stadium, built for the 1912 Olympics, incorporating a running track. Hasn't done them any harm, excellent atmosphere, successful. In support terms they are bigger than Shamrock Rovers in a comparable league, but success and the qua;ity of the entertainment brings fans as ever.

http://www.dif.se/english/index.asp?action=homeground&sub=1
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

his holiness nb

Seems to be a trend here, Hoop argues for a while then goes, then Dublinfella, then Good Relations,
Does anyone think maybe they are working "shifts" on here to argue their just and noble cause?  :D :D :D

Ask me holy bollix

magickingdom

Quote from: hoop on April 22, 2007, 11:46:32 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on April 22, 2007, 11:34:22 PM

Their current campaign - which includes demanding that Bertie Ahern should overrule O'Donoghue - smacks of a growing realization that they don't stand a chance in Judicial Review.

than why was it granted? do you even know what a judicial review is? jrs can only be granted on a point of law so tds obiviously have a case. this whole
thing can be sorted out in a short period of time if rovers are willing to compromise. if there was a brain in the gene pool of the rovers supporters they would at least meet tds. their not even willing to do that unless tds drop their case. its a farce alright and rovers are playing a full part...

tayto

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 12:36:48 PM
Quote from: tayto on April 23, 2007, 12:20:09 PM

So do you want all the existing municipal stadiums pulled down and re-built to include GAA??? Why aren't full-sized GAA pitches already included in municipal stadiums??? Because they are TOO big and destroy the stadiums for everyone else - and because the GAA already has more stadiums than it knows what to do with.

It would be helpful if Thomas Davis were to finally reveal their amazing plans - but I won't hold my breath.

There you go being all melodramatic again. There are municipal stadia all over europe with running tracks and the like around them, i find it hard to believe a GAA pitch would leave you much further away then a running track does. Did those soccer clubs insist that athletics were left out because they'd destroy "their" stadium? It dosent help the atmosphere but i'm sure it doesnt destroy it either, or make the stadia useless for soccer. You can't be picky about the dimensions becuase you blew your chance to develop the site yourselves. A municipal stadia should be built to cater for the whole community. to say it would destroy the stadium for soccer is simply not true. Are you saying Croke Park is useless for the internationals? Was it useless for the Rugby? seemed to be a great atmosphere for the rugby despite the rugby pitch being small enough compared to the GAA pitch. My friend, if that is your only arguement them you've not got much to go on.

stephenite

Didn't bother Shamrock Rovers too much when they were played in Morton Stadium in Santry, that had a big running track all the way around it.

tayto

Well apparently the GAA pitch TD want will leave you further away fromt he pitch then a running track. Which sounds like balderdash to me.

Hardy

QuoteYou design a stadium based on it's primary use - and not to facilitate a very occasional use.

Yes. If you're the one designing your own stadium to be built with your own money for your own use. (I realise these are strange concepts, but stick with me).

If, on the other hand, you're a homeless, begging socer club looking for free assembly place for offensive morons and condoning their use of offensive displays, well then you take what you get.

hoop

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2007, 01:11:38 PM
If, on the other hand, you're a homeless, begging socer club looking for free assembly place for offensive morons and condoning their use of offensive displays, well then you take what you get.

Brilliant argument. Well done. Very constructive.

his holiness nb

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 01:17:54 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2007, 01:11:38 PM

Brilliant argument. Well done. Very constructive.

Its 100% correct Hoop.
Doesnt look pretty but facts are facts.
Ask me holy bollix

hoop

Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2007, 01:03:43 PM
Didn't bother Shamrock Rovers too much when they were played in Morton Stadium in Santry

Says who??? By far the worst stadium ever used for soccer in the country.

stephenite

Quote from: hoop on April 23, 2007, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2007, 01:03:43 PM
Didn't bother Shamrock Rovers too much when they were played in Morton Stadium in Santry

Says who??? By far the worst stadium ever used for soccer in the country.

And there's the rub, ye still used it because nobody else would have ye. Same as ye'll use Tallaght along with the extra pitch dimensions once the court tells ye to. It's not like you're in much of a position to bargain now, is it?