Gardening

Started by 118cmal, June 25, 2010, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

Looking some decorative stone - something that stops vehicles driving on grass verges - Can anyone point me in the right direction?

sensethetone

Quote from: general on July 21, 2022, 10:38:01 PM
Looking some decorative stone - something that stops vehicles driving on grass verges - Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Irwins aggregates in Coalisland used to sell small bags of decorative stone/Pee gravel.

Rudi

Aldi are doing an offer on white decorative stone at the minute, I know because I bought 4x10Kg bags @ 9euro a bag in a local garden center, when a day later Aldi were doing the same bags for 5 euro. Muckish sand & gravel have a redish stone by the lorry load, good for driveways.
Either way make sure you put down weed proof underlay, otherwise weeds will just make a hash of the stone.

grounded

I've seen people put larger stones around these sorts of areas to deter that.
       For the smaller decorative stone most builders yards would stock that or at least point you in right direction (quarry etc)

marty34

Quote from: grounded on July 22, 2022, 09:26:51 AM

I've seen people put larger stones around these sorts of areas to deter that.
       For the smaller decorative stone most builders yards would stock that or at least point you in right direction (quarry etc)

Yeah, I see people have bigger single stones down every 6ft or so. Seem to be just random stones from a field. Seem to be just sitting there on the ground. Occassionily, they are painted.

I think it's juat to put drivers off from driving on the grass - maybe just when they meet another vehicle at the same spot, they put onto the grass verge.

Very little will put them off. I've also saw small posts every so often with a chain, maybe plastic, along a verge also. Maybe easier to cut the grass that way also?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

If you are near Derry, Springrowth do all sizes and types of sand, gravel and stone, they deliver too

bennydorano

Anybody know of anything that will lift deep rust stains of paving stones? I've already sprayed it with Red Label a couple of times and power hosed it, barely put a dent in it ffs. Caused by moss killer for the grass that sat too long on the pavers.

Rudi

WD 40?

Vinegar.

bennydorano

Cheers, that CLR looks the job but I'd need a barrel,  have you used it? Looking online it's American and not available locally atm.

Have been reading about various wives tales remedies, Coca cola, lemon water, vinegar

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on May 19, 2023, 11:17:18 AM
Cheers, that CLR looks the job but I'd need a barrel,  have you used it? Looking online it's American and not available locally atm.

Have been reading about various wives tales remedies, Coca cola, lemon water, vinegar
https://www.screwfix.com/p/zep-calcium-lime-rust-stain-remover-1ltr/8679f

Get it in Armagh.

bennydorano

Excellent, will have a go at that, cheers.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on May 19, 2023, 09:31:12 AM
Anybody know of anything that will lift deep rust stains of paving stones? I've already sprayed it with Red Label a couple of times and power hosed it, barely put a dent in it ffs. Caused by moss killer for the grass that sat too long on the pavers.

Same thing happened to me last year. I had put the moss killer in solution and spilled when i was mixing.
        This is the only stuff i found works. Costs  a fortune but works. Put a little bit on and leave. Turns black after about 30 mins and then hose off.
         https://www.amazon.co.uk/LTP-Remover-Cleaner-outbreaks-discolouration/dp/B08DYGMVG1/ref=asc_df_B08DYGMVG1/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463119629955&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12450954571204425159&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007326&hvtargid=pla-951310778083&psc=1

markl121

Anyone any tips on cleaning pavia without a powerhouse? Or is the hose essential. Basically my back yard runs at a slope and will run away down all the other houses if I hose it so would need someone else with me brushing constantly to stop it, but if need be I may have to do that.

bennydorano

Quote from: grounded on May 20, 2023, 09:14:14 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 19, 2023, 09:31:12 AM

Same thing happened to me last year. I had put the moss killer in solution and spilled when i was mixing.
        This is the only stuff i found works. Costs  a fortune but works. Put a little bit on and leave. Turns black after about 30 mins and then hose off.
         https://www.amazon.co.uk/LTP-Remover-Cleaner-outbreaks-discolouration/dp/B08DYGMVG1/ref=asc_df_B08DYGMVG1/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463119629955&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12450954571204425159&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007326&hvtargid=pla-951310778083&psc=1
I had noticed that stuff on Amazon ok, some of the reviews put me off. Bought that screwfix stuff linked above there today, will give it a test, as one litre isn't clearing much for me, I'll be buying more of something or other.