Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I'd have thought that anyone who has completed a ten year shift at county level might just want to go back to his club and attempt to improve their lot.

I really worry when gaa career officials (Joe isn't the only one by a far stretch) think that working at county level is somehow a superior feat than working at own club level.

The men going forward for SV have a great mixture of club experiences.

And they will be fresh too.

Rasharkin Gael

My  initial reaction to  Saffrons was positive.  Change is needed at CB level, but after listening to the now infamous voice mail left to the SA chairman i would have serious problems supporting that particular candidate. Also the removal of the divisional boards i can not agree with. We play in one all county league, Minor. That has been an awful league for us. When it was SW league we were sure of games and fixture dates, but now in all county, very few city teams travel to play their away fixtures if more than 10 miles outside their home base and give little or no notice if they are not fullfiling a fixture. The 16-18 age group is the biggest drop off time for young players and if we cannot give them regular football they will leave. I think the SW board does an excellent job and i would not like to see it removed. Still change is badly needed at the top and while a few of the saffron candidates would look like excellent supporting then a full ticket is problematic.

btdtgtt

Removal of divisional boards is a strange one to declare if you are looking for votes?
Purely in tactical terms.

What's the voicemail story?
I appear to have been under a rock for that!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on November 02, 2015, 09:50:39 AM
My  initial reaction to  Saffrons was positive.  Change is needed at CB level, but after listening to the now infamous voice mail left to the SA chairman i would have serious problems supporting that particular candidate. Also the removal of the divisional boards i can not agree with. We play in one all county league, Minor. That has been an awful league for us. When it was SW league we were sure of games and fixture dates, but now in all county, very few city teams travel to play their away fixtures if more than 10 miles outside their home base and give little or no notice if they are not fullfiling a fixture. The 16-18 age group is the biggest drop off time for young players and if we cannot give them regular football they will leave. I think the SW board does an excellent job and i would not like to see it removed. Still change is badly needed at the top and while a few of the saffron candidates would look like excellent supporting then a full ticket is problematic.

I would second the south west thing. I would hate to see the board removed - at every age group through the ranks we had a guaranteed match every week. That does not seem possible when you take the south west board out of it. The league action and the south west championships are great. The split of the underage leagues into having a shield also gets more games for kids. I don't think it should even be under consideration for being removed.

culchie11

bannside on ur idea that wee joe should take a rest, I would counter act that and say where have saffron view been for the ten years he has been trying his best for Antrim GAA?!

I didn't c u in newry yest, if I had I would've had a good chat about this situation!

Hopefully later we can get the full list of nominees and just c who is running against who!
Because in my opinion that's how it will work 8 two horse races!

bannside

There are good candidates involved outside of Saffron Vision. Eight two horse races is what it will turn out to be in my opinion. I've never said differently. I am not a spokesman for Saffron Vision. I want what's best for Antrim full stop.

I don't support this all county league stuff either just because South Antrim can't get their house in order in this regard.

Let's not all jump to automatic conclusions. And Culchie you know where I live you can talk to me anytime.

bannside

And anyway this stuff about all county leagues is      not something that will happen without the consent of the democratic majority and so can't see that happening. NA and SW leagues running perfectly. City leagues a shambles and have been for years. The same way that SA board have been a shambles too.....and that's where some of our current officials have emanated.

Work it out for yourselves!

brendanbelfast

I'll say it again - there is no proposal to remove Divisional Boards, thats not stated in our letter and is not the case.

The fact that it was circulated among clubs that the group of people seeking election was also seeking to remove divisional boards was not based on fact. Being kind you could say it was an accidental mistake.

blueblood

C11 you must be related or a member of the present regime, how can you promote an executive or certain members that have made Antrim the laughing stock of this island? The constant lies and deceitful approach of certain members over the years, the Dunsilly tenders and appointments shrouded in secrecy, the election of present hurling officials being dominated by certain individuals and their personal agendas. How can you promote officials that have either stood-by and let this happen or have been accomplices in what has occurred and ask the Gaa people of Antrim to let them pedal their own agendas for another 5years!! The old saying is the TRUTH will out eventually and i would see some people running for major cover, if certain scenarios hit the papers shortly. The wee man attends dinners and states he will not use it as an election platform and then rants on about what he welcomes and BS after BS. He was part of this for 5years how can he ask people in good faith to give them their vote after the balls ups that have been accomplished by the present executive!!!

blueblood

BrendanBelfast how does the team plan to get around the recent frustrated outburst? Surely it has played into some peoples hands? And please don't let on you are not familiar with this, the dogs in the street have heard it and the MMS is circulating like wildfire... BTW I totally understand the frustration...

culchie11

Blue blood i am neither of the aforementioned.

Sure I might not even be a member of a GAA club & therefore have no rights whatsoever in what happens to our county!!

As I said before some of both groups will get in and we will have a mixed group who I hope will sort things out between them for the betterment of Antrim GAA.

bannside

Now we're talking a bit of sense. Whatever is for the better of the GAA in Antrim.

I'm fully in favour of the Saffron Vision initiative. It offers great hope that the debacle of the last few years can be rescued and some pride restored.

That's wee Joes achilles heel. As vice chair for 5 years you just can't put your hands up and say this mess has nothing to do with me. You get tainted by association and for that reason fresh leadership is essential.

Confident that will happen and also confident a few non SV officials will be elected....and go on to enjoy a fruitful and productive tenure surrounded by a new management team who are fresh, motivated and capable.

How does that sound to you Culchie?

paddyjohn

After hearing the rumours of the voicemail that was left to a South Antrim official, one of the Saffron Vision lads should be told to get to do one. I've not listened to it but by all accounts it is disgraceful.

brendanbelfast

"BrendanBelfast how does the team plan to get around the recent frustrated outburst? Surely it has played into some peoples hands? And please don't let on you are not familiar with this, the dogs in the street have heard it and the MMS is circulating like wildfire... BTW I totally understand the frustration..."

I haven't heard the 'outburst' but I know that: (i) its a voicemail left following the circulation of a misleading email to all clubs about the intentions of the group re divisional boards, and that it named one person from our group specifically; (ii) the person who left the voicemail has subsequently apologised to the recipient; (iii) the recipient has in turn apologised for sending the original email. But the mutual apology doesn't suit the narrative and therefore isn't part of the story.

Listen, ours is an honest attempt to initiate positive change. That was frustrated almost immediately we contacted clubs and led to an angry outburst - big deal. We pledged at the outset not to get involved in finger pointing or 'tit for tat' exchanges with fellow Gaels and we'll do our best to stick to that.

Bannside - we are contacting clubs and have met a number already - all so far have welcomed the debate and acknowledge the need for a change of approach. But, clubs have their own decision making processes and we'll respect that.

bannside

Having someone on the Co Executive who is prepared to stand up for himself and by extension the county might be a better proposition than the current lot who just take what Ulster council and Croke park hand down with a touch of the forelock.

Make absolutely no mistake there is zero respect for current Antrim officialdom from anyone at  provincial or national level. This can only happen if we deliver a new dynamic leadership. We have to earn that respect by sending a clear message that Antrim Gaels can put in place a top management team who Ulster and beyond are comfortable doing business with.