Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on May 05, 2024, 08:43:52 PMI think a lot of you need to think more carefully about calling these so called people "Fans". I'm from Lurgan and it pisses me off a bit when people come on here and just post up "Lurgan people are scumbags". These people you are talking about come from everywhere and don't care what the attraction is, they're there for the party and couldn't name you 3 players. The real fans are there for majority of the games home and away through thick and thin and thousands come from Lurgan to support Armagh.
I see drunken fans at every game from every County so no crap about being far away to travel/size of town nonsense or whatever else was posted, the fact is the further in the Championship you go the more idiots you get unfortunately. The All Ireland final will sort that out as tickets are so hard to get and there'll be no Lurgan ones drunk at that either.
Lurgan ones ares scumbags though ;)

Only messing, plenty of sound men and women from Lurgan and plenty of drunken idiots from Lurgan and elsewhere as well!

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on May 05, 2024, 08:43:52 PMI think a lot of you need to think more carefully about calling these so called people "Fans". I'm from Lurgan and it pisses me off a bit when people come on here and just post up "Lurgan people are scumbags". These people you are talking about come from everywhere and don't care what the attraction is, they're there for the party and couldn't name you 3 players. The real fans are there for majority of the games home and away through thick and thin and thousands come from Lurgan to support Armagh.
I see drunken fans at every game from every County so no crap about being far away to travel/size of town nonsense or whatever else was posted, the fact is the further in the Championship you go the more idiots you get unfortunately. The All Ireland final will sort that out as tickets are so hard to get and there'll be no Lurgan ones drunk at that either.

they're best ignored mate. Thing is, a lot of people giving off about people being drunk at games will ave been drunk at games in their youth.

screenexile

On the actual game I think it'll be a snoozefest much like Tyrone Donegal/Armagh Down. Armagh will have to play the same way they did against Down and hope that the forwards they have will play better than Donegal's. I think they just about have the better players but there will be vey little in it.

Bookies with a 1pt handicap aren't usually too far wrong!

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on May 07, 2024, 02:11:22 PMOn the actual game I think it'll be a snoozefest much like Tyrone Donegal/Armagh Down. Armagh will have to play the same way they did against Down and hope that the forwards they have will play better than Donegal's. I think they just about have the better players but there will be vey little in it.

This is what Donegal would love us to do. Play the game on their terms and reduce it to an arm wrestle that ends up as another game of nerves in the last 5 minutes since they are the masters at this type of game. If we are looking for a template then go back to the 2022 championship when we played them twice.

The first time we sat back and engaged in a defensive arm wrestle that ended in a comprehensive defeat. We drew them again in the qualifiers and went more front foot, high energy, gung ho type game and we inflicted a heavy defeat on them. The latter is the template for beating them on Sunday. Press all of their kick outs since they have an untested goalkeeper or even if Patton is fit to play he will not be in top shape. Kick plenty of ball inside as I think they are weak at defending one on one in their full back line. Plus we have the ball winning personnel to cause them trouble. If we play a hard running game of containment it plays to the strengths of Donegal and reduces the game to a long range point kicking contest and a game of nerve.   

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2024, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 07, 2024, 02:11:22 PMOn the actual game I think it'll be a snoozefest much like Tyrone Donegal/Armagh Down. Armagh will have to play the same way they did against Down and hope that the forwards they have will play better than Donegal's. I think they just about have the better players but there will be vey little in it.

This is what Donegal would love us to do. Play the game on their terms and reduce it to an arm wrestle that ends up as another game of nerves in the last 5 minutes since they are the masters at this type of game. If we are looking for a template then go back to the 2022 championship when we played them twice.

The first time we sat back and engaged in a defensive arm wrestle that ended in a comprehensive defeat. We drew them again in the qualifiers and went more front foot, high energy, gung ho type game and we inflicted a heavy defeat on them. The latter is the template for beating them on Sunday. Press all of their kick outs since they have an untested goalkeeper or even if Patton is fit to play he will not be in top shape. Kick plenty of ball inside as I think they are weak at defending one on one in their full back line. Plus we have the ball winning personnel to cause them trouble. If we play a hard running game of containment it plays to the strengths of Donegal and reduces the game to a long range point kicking contest and a game of nerve.   

I could be absolutely wrong of course and I hope that Armagh play direct man to man and do inflict a heavy defeat on Donegal. If only that the game seemed to have moved on a bit to a more man to man style recently and Donegal have taken it right back to basics so I hope that style is beaten.

I just think that if Armagh had to play negatively against a very poor Down team they'll be primed for the same approach against a better version of it!

Wildweasel74

I don't know whether that work, time and again. It been proved to beat it, u gotta match it.

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on May 07, 2024, 05:02:43 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2024, 04:35:37 PM

I could be absolutely wrong of course and I hope that Armagh play direct man to man and do inflict a heavy defeat on Donegal. If only that the game seemed to have moved on a bit to a more man to man style recently and Donegal have taken it right back to basics so I hope that style is beaten.

I just think that if Armagh had to play negatively against a very poor Down team they'll be primed for the same approach against a better version of it!

Down didn't have players who were capable of kicking points outside 30 metres, the difference is that Donegal do have those players.

It doesn't have to be man to man, those days are long gone. But we need to leave at least 3 forwards up the pitch and leave us with a kicking option on the counter attack and press their kick outs to take them out of their comfort zone. Anything else is to ply Donegal on their own terms.

Orior

I need tickets.

Fingers crossed that some will go on Ticketmaster, else I'll be out with the begging bowl :-/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

this Ulster final is so difficult to predict. It is a mystery for now how it will play out. Will Armagh go all out attack and go for it?. Will they go all defensive and turn it into a bore?.
Will Donegal match what Armagh do?. I suppose it will depend on what both teams do, If Armagh go all out attack Donegal will do likewise and we could have a classic which might just suit Donegal. This is why I thing Armagh will be a bit conservative and Donegal will have to follow suit as they'll be playing into a blanket across the 45m line, for me it will only open up if one teams falls a bit behind and have to go for it.

Heart is saying Armagh by 1-2pts but head is fighting that prediction. Armagh haven't been great to date and Donegal had the freedom of the park against Derry, I honestly believe Derry would beat Donegal 4 outta 5 times if they were to play again. Derry had 34 scoring chances against Donegal and the goals conceded were just freakish TBH but they did score them and they did beat Derry so for that alone they have to start as favourites for this game.

As for tickets...my club are struggling to provide tickets for everyone who has their name down for them, sounds like a sell out.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SHEEDY

Quote from: Orior on May 07, 2024, 06:40:08 PMI need tickets.

Fingers crossed that some will go on Ticketmaster, else I'll be out with the begging bowl :-/
no tickets going on general sale according to latest Ulster council update
nil satis nisi optimum