Can we help out a local soccer club?

Started by StephenC, September 12, 2020, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

Let's imagine that there's a rural GAA club, and it has been approached by a small soccer club in the area asking if they could train on the small training pitch that the GAA club has, while their pitch is being renovated. The GAA club would like to help out, but can they? There would be no games, just training.

If we registered the soccer players (for some nominal amount), would that work?

From the Bunker

Bronco

I've known it to happen but not sure what the official rules are these days. Know of a few GAA clubs that share pitches with rugby teams and the like. Don't see the problem with it as long as there's no negative impact on the club.

StephenC

Quote from: Bronco on September 12, 2020, 08:58:21 PM
I've known it to happen but not sure what the official rules are these days. Know of a few GAA clubs that share pitches with rugby teams and the like. Don't see the problem with it as long as there's no negative impact on the club.

Office rule (5.1 (a) ) is pretty clean is saying it's not allowed. I'm unaware of an non-community pitch sharing with the GAA, but I'd love to hear about this.

These are 2 clubs with a good relationship (we have done joint fund-raisers before), so I'd love to find a way to make it happen, but I don't want the GAA club to risk fines/sanctions because of it.

Itchy

Its not allowed but f**k the rules, local clubs need to have good relations. Sign all the players up as gaa members, charge them a special 1 euro price. Let them train on your grounds as gaa members.

StephenC

Quote from: Itchy on September 13, 2020, 12:05:39 PM
Its not allowed but f**k the rules, local clubs need to have good relations. Sign all the players up as gaa members, charge them a special 1 euro price. Let them train on your grounds as gaa members.

Yeah, we were thinking of that, but there was some concerns/fears that the GAA insurance may not cover them in that situation?

Itchy

Quote from: StephenC on September 13, 2020, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 13, 2020, 12:05:39 PM

Yeah, we were thinking of that, but there was some concerns/fears that the GAA insurance may not cover them in that situation?

They should have their own insurance through their soccee club membership shouldn't they?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

StephenC

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2020, 08:39:57 PM
Soccer clubs having insurance..... :o

Yeah, they have their own insurance, and are happy to train under that cover.

naka

its not allowed,
remember the owners of the land( the trustees, one of which is from county board and one from central council) have to sign up to the rules.
the rules simply don`t allow it.

Hound

Quote from: naka on September 14, 2020, 10:01:17 AM
its not allowed,
remember the owners of the land( the trustees, one of which is from county board and one from central council) have to sign up to the rules.
The rules don't allow two hops either, but sometimes you get away with it. Or the penalty is not imposed.

There's an astroturf soccer pitch on the Parnells GAA campus. I'm not 100% sure this is fact, but I was told by a local that Parnells do own this soccer pitch and lease it to a soccer club. He said it was one of the grounds for planning permission that the council imposed, which is why the "rule" is not imposed.

In StephenC's case, if the GAA club want to help out for the short-term mentioned, then they should help out. I can't see any reasonable person taking them to task and risking the bad publicity

thewobbler

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2020, 02:31:40 PM
its not allowed,
The rules don't allow two hops either, but sometimes you get away with it. Or the penalty is not imposed.

There's an astroturf soccer pitch on the Parnells GAA campus. I'm not 100% sure this is fact, but I was told by a local that Parnells do own this soccer pitch and lease it to a soccer club. He said it was one of the grounds for planning permission that the council imposed, which is why the "rule" is not imposed.

In StephenC's case, if the GAA club want to help out for the short-term mentioned, then they should help out. I can't see any reasonable person taking them to task and risking the bad publicity

The reason why we have a rule book is because "any reasonable person" is only reasonable when he agrees with you.

I've genuine empathy for the situation. But the grounds are owned by the GAA. Public liability insurance to stand on the grounds is courtesy of the GAA. Pitch maintenance and improvements are made by GAA members and volunteers. Which means that if their committee approves soccer on their grounds, they're breaking GAA rules, ignoring their own constitution, leaving themselves open to insurance claims, and potentially pissing off a percentage of their membership who don't want to share facilities with another sport.

It's got f**k all to do with being reasonable.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2020, 02:48:38 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2020, 02:31:40 PM
its not allowed,

The reason why we have a rule book is because "any reasonable person" is only reasonable when he agrees with you.

I've genuine empathy for the situation. But the grounds are owned by the GAA. Public liability insurance to stand on the grounds is courtesy of the GAA. Pitch maintenance and improvements are made by GAA members and volunteers. Which means that if their committee approves soccer on their grounds, they're breaking GAA rules, ignoring their own constitution, leaving themselves open to insurance claims, and potentially pissing off a percentage of their membership who don't want to share facilities with another sport.

It's got f**k all to do with being reasonable.

Aye, but when it suited the boys in Croke Park to rake in money from Rugby & Soccer the rules could be changed. How does Dromard get a rule change? And I was against opening Croke Park to other games, still am. But I am for small local clubs helping each other out so that kids get to play as many sports as they can when they are young. I am against small clubs competing with each other and damaging each other. I accept you are 100% right about the rules that are in place. I am saying the rules are bollix and I gave a work around to the OP.

Here is one, what if a GAA club were training and at the end of their session decided to have a bit of craic and play 5 a side soccer?