Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

That was grossly unfair. A replay should be called for.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Orior on October 05, 2008, 06:57:39 PM

If you're serious, then no way - final whistle has gone and it's done!

If you're taking the mick, then piss off Orior!    ;D

pintsofguinness

Just goes to show how poor clanns where/are.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Final score was 1-13 to 1-10.  Firstly congrats to Cross who are simply a better alround team, but Harps can be very proud of their performance, especially in the second half and only for some wayward shooting in the first half we would have been in with a real shout.  

I felt Cross tried to win this game in third gear, it nearly came back to bite them in the ass as we thought we'd scored a goal with the last kick of the game - defintely debatable, most people I spoke to thought it was over the line, I wasn't so sure myself but even so a Cross defender lifted the ball clean off the ground in the ensuing panic and it should have been another penalty at the very least.

The injury of Philly McKinney in training on Friday night was a cruel blow for us, the run of luck we've had with injuries lately has been deadly, today we also had Vernon and Kevin Kelly playing when nowhere near 100% fit.  It didn't look good for us at half time when we were going in 1-7 to 0-3 behind, but we outscored Cross 1-6 to 5 points in the second half with some glorious points from play from Nippy(2), Joe Quigley, Sean Morrison and Kevin Kelly.  

I cant let the Ref's performance pass without comment, I can never recall a game where so many neutrals were saying that the ref gave us absolutely nothing.  We certainly didn't help ourselves in the first half with some bad decision making in defence but Cross's first 1-5 were a penalty and 5 frees and he never let up.

Cross undoubtedly have more gears to go up into but after watching today I'd have to say Cross could be there for the taking by the Ogs (if they find a MF), there are weaklinks in the Cross team- mainly in defence, although they do have serious talent to come back in for the final.  I thought Bellew was cleaned out today, I dont recall him winning one ball of either Kevin Kelly (who got 0-2 from play of him) or Sean Morrison, he also should have been red carded for a straight punch at Kelly.   JD looked good going forward for Cross but Nippy got at least 0-2 (maybe 3) of him and was one contender for our MOTM.  Joe quigley also scored 1-2 from play of the CB Carragher??

Ultimately a very dissappointing outcome but a lot of positives to take into next year - f**king unbelieavable that we got relegated ???

puskas

Quote from: The GAA on October 05, 2008, 06:26:34 PM
Quote from: puskas on October 05, 2008, 03:37:38 PM
Ogs beat Killeavy by 2. sounded like a good game. ogs squandered about 4 goal chances. mckinney made 2 terrific saves. killeavy hit the post in the last minute.

damien mccullagh is a hilarious commentator. in a good way.

No, in a very bad way. i used think he was just the village idiot but now i get angry when i listen to that crap and realise what a great resource local match commentaries could be for people if this idiot wasn't ruining it

i honestly didn't think he was that bad, granted it was the first time i'd heard his commentary. Maybe because his reputation precedes him and i was expecting a lot worse. or maybe i'm just in the 'go easy on him, he's just the village idiot' phase, he was pretty funny though, with lads in the press box telling him what the score is and who the sub was, then again he was saying the programme print was so small u'd need a magnifying glass to read it and the scoeboard was hard to read in the sunlight. his enthusiasm is hard to beat though and he makes the play sound exciting. he seemed to get most of the calls right too. let me put this way, i'd have him over ger canning and marty morrissey any day but that's not saying much I suppose.

crossfire

Harps were a bit unlucky not to get a draw which they deserved on their second half display.
I thought our penalty award should have been a free out to harps but overall he evened it out with a few decisions against us in the second half which led to scores for harps including their goal. ( John Mac clearly got a push in the back which carried him over the sideline and the harps goal came from the resultant line ball.)
Harps were unlucky to get relegated and no doubt will be straight back up.

AFS

I thought the first game today was very poor. It was absolutely riddled with mistakes, with Ogs only slumping over the finish line thanks to a couple of good points from the Clarkes. I haven't seen a team pass the ball as poorly as Killeavey in a long time, every other time a player got on the ball he managed to give it away. Ogs will need to improve big time for the final.

The second game was a much better contest, particularly in the second half. Cross looked to be running away with it by half time and the speed at which they were moving the ball was very impressive. But then they didn't show up for the second half and Harps began dominating around the middle, with Gareth Swift hitting a couple of lovely points. Cross still looked in control up until the Harps goal but they looked shaky for the last few minutes after that. Dunno about the 'goal' at the end but if it had been given you couldn't have said Harps didn't deserve it for their second half display. That wee umpire won't be flavour of the month around Harps for a while anyway, did any other neutrals see the incident between Francie and Kelly? I only caught it out of the corner of my eye but my take on it would've been that Kelly went down very easily and there wasn't a lot of intentional contact. I don't think Francie is the type to be throwing punches like that, even if he was up to a few of his other dark tricks today. 

Looking to the final, teams with big physical players up front and in the middle can cause Cross a lot of problems (as St. Vincents have shown). Today Harps had the big men in the middle but not enough big men up front to kill Cross off. I think Ogs might well have the big men up front but not enough big men in the middle to do the job. Francie looked dodgy and off the pace today so on the face of things Ronan Clarke could get a lot of joy in there, but I'd expect the McEntees and McKenna (if he's back) to get enough ball in the middle to drive Cross on.

Orior

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2008, 07:03:34 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 05, 2008, 06:57:39 PM

If you're serious, then no way - final whistle has gone and it's done!

If you're taking the mick, then piss off Orior!    ;D

Everybody knows that Hearty cant get in the way of anything!  
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bud

how'd cross lineout?
See Tony K hit the peno, was there no Oisin?

armaghniac

The half time score flattered Cross, but they were well ahead on the scoreboard and they didn't quite press on in the second half. Harps gave them more food for thought than Dromintee or Clans. From my perspective the ball did not cross the line from the final 14m free, but it was only a few mm away. In the incident between Francie and Kelly, I think Kelly hooked Francie's arm, Francie threw the elbow back to free himself and Kelly fell like a Tyrone man. 

Who was scrapping after the final whistle as the teams went back to the tunnel?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: AFS on October 05, 2008, 07:55:02 PM
my take on it would've been that Kelly went down very easily and there wasn't a lot of intentional contact. I don't think Francie is the type to be throwing punches like that, even if he was up to a few of his other dark tricks today. 

Quote from: armaghniac on October 06, 2008, 12:02:45 AM
In the incident between Francie and Kelly, I think Kelly hooked Francie's arm, Francie threw the elbow back to free himself and Kelly fell like a Tyrone man. 

Right so. The whole Kelly family, including Kevin, are personal friends of mine. I was talking to Kevin tonight, and he is sporting a serious shiner. How he got this is backed up by the video evidence that we watched in the Harps Club tonight!   >:( >:( >:(

I am not coming on here looking retribution against any one individual! This is Championship football, and this is what happens. However, I will not let a personal friend of mine have his character assissinated with implications of diving. If necessary I will put my own name to what I have said here and see if others follow suit!   >:( >:(

Final Whistle

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: BenDover on October 05, 2008, 06:49:25 PM
heard there was a bit of controversy at the end of the Harps game (app the harps were robbed!!!) anyone care to elaborate? wasn't at the match myself

Joe Quigley had a 14 yard free - it was goal or nothing. Joe hit the shot, it deflected off a defender and over the line. I'm not sure, but the deflection may be the key here, as the ref blew for full time before the ball had crossed but after Joe had shot.

actually there are grounds for an appeal here. reference-tyrone underage game where the exact thing happened. appeal was lodged and accepted.

Handy

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 06, 2008, 01:01:58 AM
Quote from: AFS on October 05, 2008, 07:55:02 PM
my take on it would've been that Kelly went down very easily and there wasn't a lot of intentional contact. I don't think Francie is the type to be throwing punches like that, even if he was up to a few of his other dark tricks today. 

Quote from: armaghniac on October 06, 2008, 12:02:45 AM
In the incident between Francie and Kelly, I think Kelly hooked Francie's arm, Francie threw the elbow back to free himself and Kelly fell like a Tyrone man. 

Right so. The whole Kelly family, including Kevin, are personal friends of mine. I was talking to Kevin tonight, and he is sporting a serious shiner. How he got this is backed up by the video evidence that we watched in the Harps Club tonight!   >:( >:( >:(

I am not coming on here looking retribution against any one individual! This is Championship football, and this is what happens. However, I will not let a personal friend of mine have his character assissinated with implications of diving. If necessary I will put my own name to what I have said here and see if others follow suit!   >:( >:(

I saw the incident first hand - I could not believe the umpire didn't - someone beside me summed it up when he said - there isn't a official in the county will stand up to Cross.

umgolaarmagh

I saw the incident first hand - I could not believe the umpire didn't - someone beside me summed it up when he said - there isn't a official in the county will stand up to Cross.
[/quote]

UNFORTUNATELY, tis is so true and any one who trys and dispute this is either blind or a cross man,

im sure the cross ones on the board will agree that they have been gifted some decisions by refs down through the years as well as having a great team

corn02

It is unfortuante and although it woild not make much difference in most games they have got more than their fair share of favourable decisions from referees and a certain linesman. But, as I said, I can think of a Dromintee match were a big decision was not acted on as the linesman was afraifd that would have influenced the game and yesterdays goal (if it was as BBC are claiming). Other games it would not make a bit of difference.