Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI actually thought the Ogs were lucky enough to be in it for so long

Exactly Cross should have out of sight by half time, McKinney did great work.

Quoteshould there be more than one team in cross??
is the town and population not big enough for 2 senior teams?

the average "pick" for Armagh clubs is about 1600 people, (nationalist pop/number of clubs). Cross have a pick of about 2000, a bit more than average but not more than Ogs, I imagine.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Pity the senior match was so poor but its no sense in blaming Cross. Thoroughly deserving of their victory - the game could have been dead and buried by half time only for McKinney's brilliance in nets for Ogs. At the other end Pearse Ogs never once really looked like cutting Cross open.

You'd have expected them to have made a game of it with the extra man but Cross just tightened their stranglehold on the match and were more than worthy winners. Have to say I thought the referee had quite a good game myself.

In contrast, the minor match produced great excitement. Thought we deserved our last minute goal even if it must have been heartbreaking for Granemore. Thought we controlled possession for most of the game although things seemed to break down in the final quarter. Also thought that the referee were far too quick to blow for frees on both sides and that Cullyhanna's first goal should have stood. Looked to me that he definately followed the ball in. The equalising goal was the best move of the match by a distance and Cullyhanna probably should have stolen it at the death. Draw was a fair enough result though, Neither team really played that well although I'd be hopeful that St Pat's can do the business in the replay.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

jodyb

No question about it, Ogs collapsed fairly easily. I have to ask though, how does a county final get played in Crossmaglen? Have Armagh no other ground that would cater for the crowd and bring a bit of fair play to the proceedings? Having said that, Crossmaglen were vastly superior to the Ogs, but home advantage has to be worth a couple of points or at least a mental advantage.

winsamsoon

welcome to the world jod???? this has been discussed mate. I told u guys the bookies would ride again on the +6
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

jodyb

Quote from: winsamsoon on September 30, 2007, 07:24:13 PM
welcome to the world jod???? this has been discussed mate. I told u guys the bookies would ride again on the +6
Missed that discussion winsamsoon. Thanks. Don't wanna start it again, but was there ever a conclusion?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: jodyb on September 30, 2007, 07:16:54 PM
No question about it, Ogs collapsed fairly easily. I have to ask though, how does a county final get played in Crossmaglen? Have Armagh no other ground that would cater for the crowd and bring a bit of fair play to the proceedings? Having said that, Crossmaglen were vastly superior to the Ogs, but home advantage has to be worth a couple of points or at least a mental advantage.

Funny, watching the match today, I acvtually felt that the pitch did Cross no favours. The Cross pitch is heavy and undulating, and quite often the length of the grass can be a problem - the sort of pitch that can help level things up. I got the imprseeion that if that game could have been played at the Athletic Grounds, then the bigger pitch and better playing surface would have ensured a greater margin of victory.

I'm convinced that the nearest team to Cross at the moment is Dromintee, but their lack of self belief means that they will never close the gap. After that, I would put the Ogs, Harps and Mullaghbawn, with Maghery beginning to come good - that group though is still a long way from the top.   

thebandit

Well done to Cross, Tony Mac and Aaron were outstanding, young Finnegan and Tony and Paul Kernan look like good prospects.

Was glad to see big David McKenna playing well at midfield, he's a good county prospect and his father Donal is a seriously funny man!

Oisin kicked a few outrageous points when he was needed.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

the average "pick" for Armagh clubs is about 1600 people, (nationalist pop/number of clubs). Cross have a pick of about 2000, a bit more than average but not more than Ogs, I imagine.

[/quote]

You also have to take account of the fact that in Armagh City there are a number of soccer teams which probably also eat into the potential GAA uptake whereas no such situation exists in Cross.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

It#s CArtwheel United , after one of the pubs but it's only one team and they make little impression in affecting Cross' potential pool of players.

Armagh Exile

I think we saw a new Armagh midfielder today by the name of David McKenna.
The 19 year old had an outstanding game and was many peoples choice of 'Man-of-the-Match' award.

David McKeown

Armagh Exile

Don't know about that I thought he had a decent but not spectacular game.  Also was he not asked onto the panel this year and refused to go?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

orangeman

Congratulations to Cross - an absolutely outstanding team - what can you say about them that hasn't been said before ?

pintsofguinness

QuoteDon't know about that I thought he had a decent but not spectacular game.  Also was he not asked onto the panel this year and refused to go?

I didn't think he was spectacular either David (was it him that tried to put Clarke through the wire?) though if Toner and Lavery are options then so is he.  I think he refused to go this year as he wanted a break.   

Who the f**k was the photographer (appeared to be a woman) that went up to Gerard Houlahan five minutes from the end and stuck a camera six inches from his face.   *shakes head*
If it was me I know where the camera would have went...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dontcare

Quote from: Armagh Exile on September 30, 2007, 09:08:16 PM
I think we saw a new Armagh midfielder today by the name of David McKenna.
The 19 year old had an outstanding game and was many peoples choice of 'Man-of-the-Match' award.

cross did well today and again never moved up a gear cus it wasnt needed, poor match, not much life about it, ref did all right for both teams except shorty clarke should have walked in the first half for standing on tony kernan, John D made a couple of great tackles and then give the ball away but still a very powerfull player,stephen clarke, aron, stephen k and tony mac did well and young mc kenna may have just made a place for himself on the county team, i know he was asked last year and turned it down but i heard he and his family thought he was a bit young and deceided leave it for that year,

2 unreal points from oisin near the end sealed the victory, i felt when jonny m was sent off that og's could have give it a go but cross showed how they are trained for any situation presented at them and it looked like cross had the extra man from then on.

well done cross

orangeman

These photographers can be a little inappropriate at times alright ! Talk about kicking you when you're down !