The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2019, 10:04:20 AM
This is bad news for SDLP. Who knows where they go from here. They should've just bit the bullet and threw all in with FF. At this rate there'll be nothing left for FF to take over.
I once would have advocated FF standing in the North and would under Bertie's leadership have voted for them. But Martin's constant anti Nordie SF sniping is a turn off.

nrico2006

The SDLP seem to have more issues with SF than any other party.  Daniel McCrossan's life seems to be about slabbering as much as he can about SF.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

It's also a 2 fingered salute from Durkan to Colm Eastwood so soon after the official link up with FF. Their perceived sister party was Labour, they formed a recent alliance with FF and now their former leader has thrown in his lot with FG. Hanna and Durkan's defections have meant that it has been a bad few weeks for SDLP. 

playwiththewind1st

Councillor Cahill on Lisburn Council is another one seemingly without a clue as to what party she wants to affiliate to.

LeoMc

Quote from: yellowcard on March 05, 2019, 10:54:53 AM
It's also a 2 fingered salute from Durkan to Colm Eastwood so soon after the official link up with FF. Their perceived sister party was Labour, they formed a recent alliance with FF and now their former leader has thrown in his lot with FG. Hanna and Durkan's defections have meant that it has been a bad few weeks for SDLP.
I heard it described as Eastwood and Mallons link up with FF on the radio, Was Nicola Mallon a prominent supporter of it? I always considered her and Hanna as 2 of their better performers so to see of them going off in differing directions can only weaken them.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: LeoMc on March 05, 2019, 11:04:02 AM
I heard it described as Eastwood and Mallons link up with FF on the radio, Was Nicola Mallon a prominent supporter of it? I always considered her and Hanna as 2 of their better performers so to see of them going off in differing directions can only weaken them.

Mallon has the best record of any MLA of working on social issues and achieving something for mostly her N.Belfast constituents but for all in relation to the welfare reforms handed by SF to the Tories to implement. Therefore, it was a shock that she would be alongside Eastwood in moving to FF.

SDLP has always had its FF, FG and Labour factions.  By forcing through the FF alliance, Eastwood has opened up these fissures in the party and is prepared to allow them to grow in return for FF money to keep his party afloat.  The loss of the 3 WM seats meant that income was severely reduced and would mean that a party machine without a grass roots base of volunteers could no longer compete with the other NI parties. Durkan's move will allow the merger/takeover to happen faster than planned.

trailer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 05, 2019, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 05, 2019, 11:04:02 AM

Mallon has the best record of any MLA of working on social issues and achieving something for mostly her N.Belfast constituents but for all in relation to the welfare reforms handed by SF to the Tories to implement. Therefore, it was a shock that she would be alongside Eastwood in moving to FF.

SDLP has always had its FF, FG and Labour factions.  By forcing through the FF alliance, Eastwood has opened up these fissures in the party and is prepared to allow them to grow in return for FF money to keep his party afloat.  The loss of the 3 WM seats meant that income was severely reduced and would mean that a party machine without a grass roots base of volunteers could no longer compete with the other NI parties. Durkan's move will allow the merger/takeover to happen faster than planned.

To my knowledge that is inaccurate. The party has plenty of money. This linkup was about political profile.
Nicola Mallon was central to this link up as deputy leader.

RedHand88

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2019, 10:44:05 AM
The SDLP seem to have more issues with SF than any other party.  Daniel McCrossan's life seems to be about slabbering as much as he can about SF.

He's a joke. He must have got a dig from a shinner on the football pitch growing up. It's the only explanation for the chip on his shoulder.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2019, 11:37:58 AM
To my knowledge that is inaccurate. The party has plenty of money. This linkup was about political profile.

Nonsense, SDLP is on its knees when it comes to money.  Donations are so far behind all other parties and they are dependent on expenses from Stormont which are much reduced:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/donations-and-loans-to-political-parties/quarterly-donations-and-loans

To run a modern election, money is everything.  FF brings that resource.

Just because you are deputy leader does not mean you cannot think for yourself or stay true to your principles.

playwiththewind1st

Their expenses are nearly the same (with one exception), it's their salaries that have been cut.

trailer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 05, 2019, 02:09:46 PM

Nonsense, SDLP is on its knees when it comes to money.  Donations are so far behind all other parties and they are dependent on expenses from Stormont which are much reduced:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/donations-and-loans-to-political-parties/quarterly-donations-and-loans

Just because you are deputy leader does not mean you cannot think for yourself or stay true to your principles.

OK you seem to know it all.  ;)

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2019, 03:03:26 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 05, 2019, 02:09:46 PM

OK you seem to know it all.  ;)

Just factual.

trailer

Ivan Cooper: Northern Ireland civil rights leader dies
One of Northern Ireland's best-known civil rights leaders, Ivan Cooper, has died aged 75.

Obituary - Ivan Cooper
Mr Cooper was one of the leaders of the civil rights march in Londonderry in 1972 that ended in 13 people being shot dead on Bloody Sunday.

He was a founding member of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) and played a major role in the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association.

SDLP leader Colum Eastwood said he was "born to break the mould".

Mr Cooper was born into a working-class Protestant and unionist family in Killaloo, County Londonderry, in January 1944.

He was briefly involved in unionist politics before later becoming involved with the civil rights movement and with constitutional nationalism.

'Driving ambition'
Mr Eastwood said Mr Cooper "embodied the contrasting traditions of this island".

"A working class Protestant man who saw a common injustice and inequality that had taken root in Protestant and Catholic communities, he dedicated his life to fighting it," he said.

"As an early leader in the civil rights movement, few have contributed as much to peace and equality on this island than Ivan.

"Alongside his close friend John Hume, he helped blaze the trail on the path that led to the Good Friday Agreement."
As violence escalated in Northern Ireland, Mr Cooper remained involved in constitutional nationalism, becoming a Stormont MP and eventually community relations minister in the power-sharing executive at Stormont in 1974.

That power-sharing arrangement between nationalists and moderate unionists was brought down by the Ulster Workers' Council strike, supported by the muscle of loyalist paramilitaries like the Ulster Defence Association.

He left active politics in 1983 and went on to work as an insolvency consultant in Derry.
In a statement on behalf of former SDLP leader John Hume, his wife Pat Hume said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of our dear friend Ivan Cooper.

"Ivan and John walked side by side, hand in hand, in their shared desire for equality, justice and peace in Ireland.

"Ivan was the embodiment of the non-violent and non-sectarian movement for change that was the campaign for civil rights."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45049734

Applesisapples

Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 10, 2019, 03:44:21 PM
Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

Hardly a surprise;

Margaret still taking the soup.