The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Top Oil North Leinster PP Sch Juv H "B" Final
Col Mhuire Mullingar 0-16 Mountrath CS 1-13 AET

Top Oil North Leinster PP Sch Juv H "C" Semi Final
St Fergal's Rathdowney 5-24 Killina Pres SS 2-10

Schools results from yesterday. Massive win for Fergals and Mountrath have to go again. Anyone have any info?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Knockbeg are in the south Leinster u14 C hurling final also

Knocked out Callan and Bridgetown from Wexford in the semifinal

Giovanni

In one way, this is depressing reading but at least  there is someone in charge who seems to be clear about what he's doing. From my point of view, he's hit a lot of nails on the head in this interview

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/05/11/minor-hurling-boss-lyons-wants-more-developments-officers-in-laois/

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Giovanni on May 11, 2018, 05:43:03 PM
In one way, this is depressing reading but at least  there is someone in charge who seems to be clear about what he's doing. From my point of view, he's hit a lot of nails on the head in this interview

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/05/11/minor-hurling-boss-lyons-wants-more-developments-officers-in-laois/

We need more GDAs- yes.
On the other hand he was one of the main drivers of Ballyfin/Mountmellick joining up to hurl and now Camross/Ballyfin/Mountmellick joining up at some grades.
Definition of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Good performance today by all accounts.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Giovanni

I don't know the man at all or whether he pushed amalgamations in his own club. I am outside of the county and don't know a lot about the club scene.

There are certainly pros and cons to amalgamations and one of the biggest problems with it is that it tends to reduce the total number of players.

Whatever about the argument about amalgamations, judging by today's performance this management team certainly seems to know what it is doing. As someone said earlier, this might not be the most naturally talented bunch (although there are 3 or 4 really excellent players there again) but their workrate and aggression was absolutely top rate. The aggression probably cost them through frees conceded in the end but for me the entire group can go home feeling proud that they represented the county properly.

If there are really more talented lads coming through, would love to see what this management team can do with them.

Well done to all today.

clonadmad

U14 Hurling yesterday Saturday
The A side beat Westmeath and 2 very poor teams in Kildare and Meath
The B team were beaten 3-09 to 1-09 by Westmeath and beat both Kildare and Meath.

Very little merit in playing the likes of Meath and Kildare when a club side in the county would give them more than enough of a game.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Giovanni on May 13, 2018, 12:38:10 AM

There are certainly pros and cons to amalgamations and one of the biggest problems with it is that it tends to reduce the total number of players.

Quote from: Giovanni on May 13, 2018, 12:38:10 AM

Whatever about the argument about amalgamations, judging by today's performance this management team certainly seems to know what it is doing.

Agree on both counts.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tobias

Quote from: Tobias on May 14, 2018, 04:45:18 AM
Quote from: Tobias on October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM
Interesting to hear the news of Donal Og Cusacks imminent arrival to Clare. It's a very shrewd move by Davy Fitz following a bit of a turbulent season west of the Shannon. Things were going stale down there but the arrival of Cusack as coach will really give the players renewed optimism and they will be excited by the new approach that he will bring.
I think a similar appointment in Laois would be very welcome, in the same role as a coach to work under cheddar. I think laois were a little short on ideas this year and the likes of galway found out how to play against us. I think Ger Cunningham has been good but I think a change is needed and a bit of a shake up to keep the interest of the players. I know it might be difficult to get a high profile coach, the likes of Cusack would have been ideal for us. There are people out there but I know Laois might not be the most attractive proposition.

The decision of Pat Crichley to return back to the underage structures is absolutely vital for the future of the game in our County. I think the minor set-up also needs a new approach and a new impetus. The Management appointment is a huge one as this minor team has got real potential, it hasn't happened over the past couple of years for our minors as they have had good teams but hopefully our fortunes will change next year.

My post from October 2015...I will re-post the same message in the hope of something happening one day although I don't think it ever will unfortunately!!

In my opinion our current county team is not good enough to succeed at the highest level, our minors and under 21s have failed over the past few years with what we considered to be reasonably good sides. Our development squads 14,15,16 this year were not at the races which is a real shame and a concern, hence my reasoning for starting this thread.
I think Pat Critchley is the man to head up a complete overhaul  of our outdated underage structures and I feel it's a root and branch plan needs to be drawn up that will ultimately produce better players to play for our County at development squad and County minor level. People have a perception in laois and indeed outside of laois that we have underage structures that puts other counties to shame, that's not the case. Compared with some counties we are well behind.

Maybe we don't have the resources for this but a 'Laois hurling school of excellence' should be set up with a number of different strands to it. I would set up a player development committee to monitor each County players progress from the age of 13 to 18. Plans would be drawn up by each respective development squad management and reviewed by members of the committee and monitored regularly from year to year. Players would be put on strength and conditioning (within reason for juveniles)programmes as well as  a hurling skills programme to work on the weaknesses. Top coaches with minimum of level one coaching coarse should be deployed to look after these teams with the help of the development commitee.
I would also regionalise the setanta programme, divide it into four hurling strongholds in Laois. The reason for this is kids wouldn't have to travel to portlaoise every weekend and it would encourage more to get involved. We would then have four strong divisions rather than one. Supervised Buses should also be provided to transport our young hurlers to 'county training'.

I am well aware the we probably don't have the funds to implement the structures we would like and to be fair Cheddar has done his fair share of campaigning to the powers that be to get us the funding we need.
Basically I think we need to go back to the drawing board and try to put something in place that would give us a some chance of success in the future. I hate being too pessimistic about our chances but I am a realist and we just can't keep doing what we are doing. Any thoughts on this?

Tobias

Above message posted in October 2015, I will re-post the same message every year in the hope that something might happen!!

Don Draper

Quote from: Tobias on May 14, 2018, 04:51:55 AM
Above message posted in October 2015, I will re-post the same message every year in the hope that something might happen!!
Would you take it to the CB perhaps?

The PRO

He's no longer chairman but Gerry Kavanagh's legacy to Laois hurling lives on and not in a good way. Cheddar must be sick this morning after all his work is now fully undone.

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on May 14, 2018, 11:44:25 AM
He's no longer chairman but Gerry Kavanagh's legacy to Laois hurling lives on and not in a good way. Cheddar must be sick this morning after all his work is now fully undone.
Cheddar was blackguarded by CB and Croke Park, and quite a few on here if truth be told.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on May 14, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
Quote from: The PRO on May 14, 2018, 11:44:25 AM
Cheddar was blackguarded by CB and Croke Park, and quite a few on here if truth be told.
[/

How was he blackguarded by Croke Park?

Don Draper

His and Pats plan for driving on Laois hurling sits on a shelf up there, gathering dust.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Don Draper on May 16, 2018, 10:30:42 PM
His and Pats plan for driving on Laois hurling sits on a shelf up there, gathering dust.

"there's only so much funding to go around" was more or less the response to Cheddar's request for funding for Laois. The responder had a Dublin accent and spoke on behalf of Croke Park. Meanwhile, Dublin has been absolutely coining it for the past 10-12 years.