The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on November 10, 2009, 08:44:08 PM
Can any of you Munster fans confirm or deny that ever since ROG made his Ireland debut, he has been available for every single Irish international match?

I don't recall Humphreys ever getting a clear run at it after O'Gara's emergence and the only time I can remember him not starting since Humph retired was when he was rested for The Pacific Islands many moons ago.

If I'm right, this must be some sort of record breaking achievement. How can a fly-half not pick up knocks?

By avoiding contact...

Hoof Hearted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/irish/8353396.stm

Team named, Cian Healy and Paddy Wallace for Horan and Darcy, only 2 changes from Welsh match in March
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

whiskeysteve

wallace and o'gara. no prizes for guessing where the aussies will bomb down...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Donnellys Hollow

No real shocks there. Inside centre was always going to be the position up for grabs and Deccie has rightly given the nod to Wallace. D'Arcy isn't going well at the moment and Wallace brings a bit more creativity to the midfield. It would have been a shame to break up that back three by shifting either Bowe or Fitzgerald inside.

Looking forward to seeing how Healy gets on at international level. Ferris against Elsom should be very interesting! Hope Cronin and Sexton get some game time from the bench.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Gnevin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 11, 2009, 01:35:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/irish/8353396.stm

Team named, Cian Healy and Paddy Wallace for Horan and Darcy, only 2 changes from Welsh match in March

When will the young players get a chance if the management never play them
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhen will the young players get a chance if the management never play them

What young players deserve their chance that aren't in the match squad?
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 10, 2009, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 10, 2009, 08:44:08 PM
Can any of you Munster fans confirm or deny that ever since ROG made his Ireland debut, he has been available for every single Irish international match?

I don't recall Humphreys ever getting a clear run at it after O'Gara's emergence and the only time I can remember him not starting since Humph retired was when he was rested for The Pacific Islands many moons ago.

If I'm right, this must be some sort of record breaking achievement. How can a fly-half not pick up knocks?

By avoiding contact...

To say O'Gara somehow chickens out of tackles is crazy. He's shit at it, but he's always trying to tackle. They usually just run straight over him.

DuffleKing

turning your ass and face away from the impact minimizes the risk of injury

Master Yoda

f**k sake it doesn't matter if he is afraid to tackle or if hes just shit at it, it results in the same thing.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

AZOffaly

Quote from: Master Yoda on November 11, 2009, 04:36:12 PM
f**k sake it doesn't matter if he is afraid to tackle or if hes just shit at it, it results in the same thing.

It does matter. I'd prefer someone questions my ability rather than my character.

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 11, 2009, 02:53:31 PM

You hardly thing there will be a raft of changes do you? Not Kidney's style. Sexton will be lucky to start against Fiji.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Olaf

Quote from: Gnevin on November 11, 2009, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 11, 2009, 02:53:31 PM

You hardly thing there will be a raft of changes do you? Not Kidney's style. Sexton will be lucky to start against Fiji.

How then can you move this team forward.

Front row, second row and in paricular half backs are in need of change.

Dinny Breen

QuoteYou hardly thing there will be a raft of changes do you? Not Kidney's style. Sexton will be lucky to start against Fiji.

It's hardly Dad's army - Kearney, Earls, Healy, Cronin, Ferris, Heaslip, Fitzgearld, O'Leary, Bowe and Sexton are all in the squad and are all 25 or younger, front row and 2nd row players don't hit their prime till there 30 plus. It's a very good squad, what more do expect?

O'Gara is the incumbent, this time last year I was watching Sexton struggle while playing AIL with Mary's, he is far from the 2nd coming. He will see action against Oz, start against Fiji and all going well he'll stake a claim for a start against SA.

We have issues at tight-head and openside and we'll never fill the vacum once BOD retires but Kidney is doing very very well as head coach and at the moment we are very lucky to have him.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Did people really expect wholesale changes from the Grand Slam team?

I don't think Sexton was ever going to be selected ahead of O'Gara for this match. People should remember how far Sexton has come in twelve months. As Dinny says, he couldn't kick snow off a rope this time last year and you wouldn't have put him in the in the women's team. He was hauled off against Castres at HT and Leinster had got in Holwell. Most people would have had Keatley ahead of him for Ireland. He will get twenty minutes on Sunday and the full game against Fiji to stake his claim.

The only one who I think is unlucky not to start is Leo Cullen. He's one of the most improved players in Irish rugby at the moment. I can understand why O'Callaghan was picked ahead of him though. He has the lineout experience and understanding with O'Connell, Flannery and Hayes (as lifter).

The strength in depth at the moment is good as the A team selection shows. If we could find ourselves a decent tight-head (Timmy Ryan perhaps?) we'd be in decent shape for the RWC in 2011.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Aerlik

Please oh please oh please oh please let's win this one, if only to shut the blinkered Aussie commentators up.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!