Feile Peil 2015

Started by Bingo, June 18, 2015, 05:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Surprised this hasn't been started yet.

We are back in this after a 10 year break  ;)

Playing in Division 3 with Host club An Tochar from Roundwood in Wicklow and Ferns, Wexford and South London (who walked Div 4 last year).

We'd have a decent team but the South London team are traditionally very physical and pacey, which mightn't suit our lads. One of the players won the All-Ireland skills competition last weekend, so its a good start if nothing else.

Last time we where in it, I was involved with the team and it was hectic. Looking forward to a more relaxing trip this time but the preparation, build up has been fairly busy.

Zulu

We're going too but have a very young, if talented, team so not expecting much this year, probably be tanked to be honest. We're division 9 and based in Fethard-on-sea. South London weren't as strong at the British feile as they have been in previous years apparently though they may have been short a few. Still one of the strongest British teams mind but maybe not as good as some previous squads. Looking forward to it now and it should be a cracking weekend.

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on June 18, 2015, 06:21:00 PM
We're going too but have a very young, if talented, team so not expecting much this year, probably be tanked to be honest. We're division 9 and based in Fethard-on-sea. South London weren't as strong at the British feile as they have been in previous years apparently though they may have been short a few. Still one of the strongest British teams mind but maybe not as good as some previous squads. Looking forward to it now and it should be a cracking weekend.

Good stuff.

Yeah, can be hard to know what South London will be like, very hard to find out about them as well! I had seen that North London beat them at the Feile in the first round. A lot of their better players can also be signed up to professional soccer clubs, so if it was held during the season they can be weakened.

Will know soon enough I suppose!

Best of luck to you and the lads anyway.

magpie seanie

25 years ago we won our section. Only Sligo team ever to do so I believe. 1990 was some summer!

sligoman2

It would be helpful if he named ye're clubs so we could follow them.
Seanie, I know your club.  Have you sobered up yet?

New York are div 1 in men's and div 2 in ladies after they won Div 3 last year. 

It's a great event and the change to a shield and cup format has made it much better in my opinion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Nigel White

Great tournament. We won the cup in our division. Full marks to all involved.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 22, 2015, 03:45:16 AM

It's a great event and the change to a shield and cup format has made it much better in my opinion.

I actually hadn't started drinking by the time we won it believe it or not  ;D but when we really got into it the whole thing fell apart. That team never lost any game until U-16, a competitive game until U-17 (we still won the competition) but lost the minor championship semi final. The team was a shambles by then unfortunately and the 6 or 7 really committed players were not enough to bring us home. It's one of my major football regrets to have not won a minor or U-21 but we simply as a team did not deserve it. Winning too much too young is not always a good thing.

Bingo

Interesting scenario Seanie that I'm sure is repeated all over the country. A couple of our lads talking about playing in Feile 30 years ago and got beat by London in Final, a serious number of them went on to play senior at club and county and won any amount of championships. Last time we played before this weekend and I was involved with team 10 years, 3 of them would be playing senior now and another 2 in senior squad, which probably isn't too bad. But the main players on the team at the time were hardly playing any football by minor.

Our lads went well over weekend. Won 3 group games including beating South London in an epic battle where man for man none of our lads physically matched their opponent or got close to it. They got beat by Cavan Gaels in Quarter final. They had a very pacy and strong full forward who wouldn't look out of place on a senior squad and our lads just couldn't handle him, they certainly tried but he got the goals when they needed them. Thought Cavan over relied on him and where a very average team without him. Whatever it is with these Centre's of excellence but they all seem to be built on wide open spaces or on top of hills, Wicklow is no different and our quarter final was played here and a wind blew that was unreal. Just didn't suit our fellas and on a better day, I think our fellas would have beat the Gaels.

Its a great weekend and the lads really enjoyed it. The host club from Wicklow, An Tochar, won the Division shield competition, so great for them and that was above their goal from the outset.

sligoman2

Well done to New York ladies won div 2 easily after winning div 3 last year
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

How does Feile work and with all the divisions how do they work that out which county and club go in there respective levels? Always wondered.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 29, 2015, 02:33:07 PM
How does Feile work and with all the divisions how do they work that out which county and club go in there respective levels? Always wondered.
they look at how the representatives from each county did in previous years and presume that is the standard in the county and assign the 1st/2nd/3rd teams from those counties to the various divisions.
it has been complicated a small bit by the teams travelling over from abroad (which is a great thing).

however, the likes of a team from London or New York are going to have a lot of 14 year olds who are physically developed in comparison to a rural club who might have 7/8 13 and 14 year olds and rely on U12 players to field a team.

It doesn't always work out perfectly, some of the local host teams ship heavy beatings, but generally after the group games the scorelines are tight enough.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 29, 2015, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 29, 2015, 02:33:07 PM
they look at how the representatives from each county did in previous years and presume that is the standard in the county and assign the 1st/2nd/3rd teams from those counties to the various divisions.
it has been complicated a small bit by the teams travelling over from abroad (which is a great thing).

however, the likes of a team from London or New York are going to have a lot of 14 year olds who are physically developed in comparison to a rural club who might have 7/8 13 and 14 year olds and rely on U12 players to field a team.

It doesn't always work out perfectly, some of the local host teams ship heavy beatings, but generally after the group games the scorelines are tight enough.
Thanks buddy
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

twohands!!!

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 29, 2015, 09:55:39 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 22, 2015, 03:45:16 AM

I actually hadn't started drinking by the time we won it believe it or not  ;D but when we really got into it the whole thing fell apart. That team never lost any game until U-16, a competitive game until U-17 (we still won the competition) but lost the minor championship semi final. The team was a shambles by then unfortunately and the 6 or 7 really committed players were not enough to bring us home. It's one of my major football regrets to have not won a minor or U-21 but we simply as a team did not deserve it. Winning too much too young is not always a good thing.

I'd definitely agree and definitely think its relevant to the whole Feile thing.

Remember seeing an interview with Colm Cooper a few years back and he was talking about how the underage team he was on all along won absolutely nothing going up through the grades - it's almost a bit surreal when you think about it.

theskull1

Winning nothing yet being relatively compeditive is good enough at juvenile. Getting pummeled week in week out year in year out is a different experience completely
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

twohands!!!

Quote from: theskull1 on June 29, 2015, 06:19:19 PM
Winning nothing yet being relatively compeditive is good enough at juvenile. Getting pummeled week in week out year in year out is a different experience completely

I'd agree but from what I remember of the Cooper interview it seemed like they weren't even that competitive. Maybe I'm not remembering the interview fully 100%  so that might not be gospel. You'd think that Crokes being a town team would have a decent pick and be fairly competitive. I'd say the interview was maybe something like 5 years ago.I've a notion it was maybe Des Cahill. Was just one of those things that struck me as strange especially when you have had Crokes record as a club team the last while.