The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2021, 07:11:41 PM
What's the word on VVD ? Not with the Holland squad so injury lasting longer than planned

An intense tournament is the last thing he'd need for rehab. Not like he's coming back from a twisted ankle.

J70

Quote from: gawa316 on May 24, 2021, 06:55:01 PM
Not a chance we sell Phillips (or at least I hope not). Perfect for 4/5th choice and brings something different than the others. Plus add in Matips and to a degree Gomez's injury record, he will get plenty of playing time

I think a lot depends on what Phillips himself wants.

Is he going to be content to be fourth or fifth in the hierarchy when he's finally made his breakthrough at the age of 24? Or does he want to move to a club where he has a realistic chance of challenging for a starting place? I'm sure salary comes into it too.

I could see Kabak being happy enough to make his move permanent and learn for a year or two and see where he's at after that, but he's a few years younger.

Phillips has been very good overall, especially over the last month, and is clearly learning quickly, but he still has a few weaknesses which a team supposed to be challenging for the league and Champions League titles cannot afford in a starting centre half. No reason he couldn't be a success at one of the weaker PL clubs though.

J70

What's the word on VVD ? Not with the Holland squad so injury lasting longer than planned

I read that he saw what happened with the Wolves player Jonny and decided to skip the tournament rather than go when 70% fit.

Apparently Jonny came back after six months earlier this year, played for a month or two, and then did the knee again. Basically didn't give himself enough time to fully recover.

Supposedly the advice the club and Van Dijk got was that you need at least nine months of recovery time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

I read that he saw what happened with the Wolves player Jonny and decided to skip the tournament rather than go when 70% fit.

Apparently Jonny came back after six months earlier this year, played for a month or two, and then did the knee again. Basically didn't give himself enough time to fully recover.

Supposedly the advice the club and Van Dijk got was that you need at least nine months of recovery time.

You have to feel for him on a personal level, quality defender who will be 32 next tournament, probably no point him playing for the Netherlands again.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2021, 07:19:24 PM
Not a chance we sell Phillips (or at least I hope not). Perfect for 4/5th choice and brings something different than the others. Plus add in Matips and to a degree Gomez's injury record, he will get plenty of playing time

Is he going to be content to be fourth or fifth in the hierarchy when he's finally made his breakthrough at the age of 24? Or does he want to move to a club where he has a realistic chance of challenging for a starting place? I'm sure salary comes into it too.

I could see Kabak being happy enough to make his move permanent and learn for a year or two and see where he's at after that, but he's a few years younger.

Phillips has been very good overall, especially over the last month, and is clearly learning quickly, but he still has a few weaknesses which a team supposed to be challenging for the league and Champions League titles cannot afford in a starting centre half. No reason he couldn't be a success at one of the weaker PL clubs though.
Liverpool would be mad to sell Phillips in this transfer window considering that Matip isn't without risk injury wise himself and they'll need to manage VVD's workload for the first while anyway. Gomez IMO is overrated and it was the fact that he was playing beside VVD that made him look decent..
Phillips would get a start in 15 of the 20 Premiership clubs as a centre back as long as they play a speedster beside him. If he is to move it'll be in the January window.

Ben Davies looks to have been money (not a lot in fairness) spunked against the wall.

brokencrossbar1

Ben Davies was a panic buy who will be sold for a profit, mark my words. Even if they only sell him for £5-6m. Celtic wanted him as did a few other clubs. I'm sure his wages are low enough too so no big deal there

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 25, 2021, 10:44:38 AM
Ben Davies was a panic buy who will be sold for a profit, mark my words. Even if they only sell him for £5-6m. Celtic wanted him as did a few other clubs. I'm sure his wages are low enough too so no big deal there

You see this is what I don't get about the fabled Liverpool transfer/acquisitions process. Klopp must have been well pissed off with them.

It was well known long before the last day of the transfer window that they needed centre back cover and they left it to the last minute.

IMO they struck lucky with big Phillips who grew into the role and fair play to the lad, he'd some dodgy days but that didn't seem to bother him.

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on May 25, 2021, 09:13:04 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2021, 07:19:24 PM

Liverpool would be mad to sell Phillips in this transfer window considering that Matip isn't without risk injury wise himself and they'll need to manage VVD's workload for the first while anyway. Gomez IMO is overrated and it was the fact that he was playing beside VVD that made him look decent..
Phillips would get a start in 15 of the 20 Premiership clubs as a centre back as long as they play a speedster beside him. If he is to move it'll be in the January window.

Ben Davies looks to have been money (not a lot in fairness) spunked against the wall.

Fair points.

Matip is a class player, but Liverpool cannot rely on him. Even this season when he was supposedly fit, he couldn't play more than two games in a row without needing to be rested. It adds to the questions about what the f**k they were thinking last summer when they decided not to replace Lovren, because Matip's issues have been long standing (he's missed at least 10 games each season since joining Liverpool, and 20+ each of the last three). I'd move him on, depending on what his contract situation is.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/joel-matip/verletzungen/spieler/82105

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2021, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

You have to feel for him on a personal level, quality defender who will be 32 next tournament, probably no point him playing for the Netherlands again.

32 is prime, especially for a quick player like Van Djik.

gawa316

Not signing Kabak and looking to meet Konate's release clause

johnnycool

Quote from: gawa316 on May 25, 2021, 03:37:47 PM

Makes sense.

laoislad

Talk of Leicester City interested in Kabak.
I was impressed enough with him to be fair to him. He seemed to want to stay also as you expect him to with a club like Liverpool.
Know very little about Konate, did he play in the Champions League games against Liverpool?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trileacman

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2021, 07:49:12 PM
I was impressed enough with him to be fair to him. He seemed to want to stay also as you expect him to with a club like Liverpool.
Know very little about Konate, did he play in the Champions League games against Liverpool?

I thought Kabak was more than decent. Only at fault once or twice in a stuttering team and paired with a 2nd rate central defender. If he could concentrate on the game better he'd be a first class defender. Good touch, good temperament, clean tackler, confident on the ball, decent defensively in the air. He's at the very least the equal of Joe Gomez and with a bit of work could turn into a vastly superior player.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

TabClear

Quote from: trileacman on May 25, 2021, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2021, 07:49:12 PM

I thought Kabak was more than decent. Only at fault once or twice in a stuttering team and paired with a 2nd rate central defender. If he could concentrate on the game better he'd be a first class defender. Good touch, good temperament, clean tackler, confident on the ball, decent defensively in the air. He's at the very least the equal of Joe Gomez and with a bit of work could turn into a vastly superior player.

Kabak for £18m would have been a no brainer 2 years ago but transfer fees will be much lower this year, except for the premium players like Kane etc.

In my opinion you are underestimating Gomez. I think his role in that team gets overlooked because of VVD. He is a top CH. Very pacy and good on the ball stepping up into midfield which is crucial to the way Liverpool play. He is prone to the odd poor positioning decision and possibly not as strong in the air as Kabak but I would have him some distance ahead of him. I do realise I am possibly being unfair on Kabak in that while I think he did OK, I suspect if he had played alongside VVD for 2 years instead of Hendo/Fabinho/Williams/Phillips etc he would undoubtedly have looked more settled.