NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Galway had to go down the "bore" route as the other style of play had got them nowhere for years and they had become a established Div 2 team that couldn't win Connacht.   Kerry and Dublin have the best set of forwards in country and that includes subs forwards to bring on. Are Galway best forwards Burke,Walsh,Comer really better than Mayo's best the O'Connor brothers,Moran?

joemamas

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 14, 2019, 04:09:28 PM
Galway had to go down the "bore" route as the other style of play had got them nowhere for years and they had become a established Div 2 team that couldn't win Connacht.   Kerry and Dublin have the best set of forwards in country and that includes subs forwards to bring on.
Are Galway best forwards Burke,Walsh,Comer and(Daly) really better than Mayo's best the O'Connor brothers (btw, one plays midfield),Moran?
[/b][/u]

Unfortunately yes is the answer

Cunny Funt

Quote from: joemamas on February 14, 2019, 04:31:03 PM
Galway had to go down the "bore" route as the other style of play had got them nowhere for years and they had become a established Div 2 team that couldn't win Connacht.   Kerry and Dublin have the best set of forwards in country and that includes subs forwards to bring on.
Are Galway best forwards Burke,Walsh,Comer and(Daly) really better than Mayo's best the O'Connor brothers (btw, one plays midfield),Moran?
[/b][/u]

Daly due to injury hasn't become a established Galway senior forward yet. Diarmuid O'Connor is only given a trial run in midfield at the moment, Mayo's best forwards in the last few years was those three players in the terms of scoring and creating.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway had to go down the "bore" route as the other style of play had got them nowhere for years and they had become a established Div 2 team that couldn't win Connacht.   Kerry and Dublin have the best set of forwards in country and that includes subs forwards to bring on. Are Galway best forwards Burke,Walsh,Comer really better than Mayo's best the O'Connor brothers,Moran?

We have a far better overall standard of player now that we had back them IMO when we were losing to Antrim and the likes. Granted it doesn't seem like that at times because Kevin Walsh's style of football often comes down to winning ugly so even when you win you don't look great. I 100% think the players are there to win playing more expansively but are we going to see that under the current management? I have my doubts. He seems wedded to his system for good or bad and in fairness to him he has really steadied the ship as Barry Cullinane said on Second Captains this week, a few years back it seemed Galway football was headed the same way as Cork.

It might take somebody else to take them further though.

seafoid

[/b][/u]

Someone from Mayo told me recently that Mayo haven't been producing decent forwards for a good while 
I was watching the 99 Connacht Final the other day and even then the forwards were missing the bit of je ne sais quoi

Whereas we always had fellas  like Shane Walsh,  P Joyce, M Meehan , Ja, Donnellan , Val Daly, Stephen Joyce going back 30 years
I wonder why there is such a difference 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I heard a rumour that Galway might be moving the Ros game to Tuam.
Any truth or just wishful thinking by one of our crew???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2019, 05:16:22 PM
[/b][/u]

Someone from Mayo told me recently that Mayo haven't been producing decent forwards for a good while 
I was watching the 99 Connacht Final the other day and even then the forwards were missing the bit of je ne sais quoi

Whereas we always had fellas  like Shane Walsh,  P Joyce, M Meehan , Ja, Donnellan , Val Daly, Stephen Joyce going back 30 years
I wonder why there is such a difference

Shit coaching/skill developement

galwayman

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2019, 03:56:08 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 22, 2019, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 22, 2019, 10:51:13 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 22, 2019, 09:38:14 PM
I expect a loss on Saturday   , with a defeat to Tyrone the following week highly likely , relegation would then be on the cards. I expect a very poor show in the championship ,  with a few depressing retirements at the end of the season the likes we'll never see again . It will be a dull dark gloomy period over the next two years . You'd have to think if Dublin win 7/8 in a row the county game itself might die altogether too.

You don't have to ask Mystic Meg what's ahead for Mayo. Championship wise a lot will depend on a lucky draw for how far we progress.  Mayo not qualifying for the Super 8 last year was a financial disaster for Corporate GAA. So Corporate GAA will do their best to make sure they are there this year.

The game is dead for all teams outside division One, and that's being nice to Cavan and Roscommon. It's even being nice to the other 5! Dublin roll on and we are told we need them to be big and powerful for the GAA to prosper financially. Problem is they need opponents and they don't have any. Dublin fans are getting bored. We are all getting bored. Great hopes of the last couple of years like, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and Monaghan, Donegal have come up short and are coming up shorter each year. Kerry because of tradition look like the best bet to topple the Dubs in the future and that in it own way is as depressing as total Dublin domination.

There is a lot more to championship football than just winning the All Ireland. Sport as in life can be about the journey not just the destination and i don't think some Mayo supporters appreciate the journey they have been on since Horan became manager the first time. Now park your dead talk and focus on the topic of the thread which is Div 1 league football.
why do you think the Mayo support has held up as well as it has if we idnt appreciate the journey . don't pay any attention to the moanbags on here from mayo some have ben predicting the end of the world since  horan came last time if not before.
some of mayo best matches have been ones they  ended up losing im thinking of Kerry in limerick  in particular and they lost  no glory or honour  and won a lot of fans in the process.
I would rather mayo lose with their dignity intact rather than go down the route of galway and try and bore every one to death despite possibly having the best set of forwards in the county
Not disputing we aren't the most exciting to watch at times but don't tell me you would give a flying f**k if Mayo won the AI playing similarly.

macdanger2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 14, 2019, 05:01:22 PM

I think you're right there. There's a ceiling to Walsh's way of playing

From the Bunker

Quote from: galwayman on February 14, 2019, 06:17:39 PM
I expect a loss on Saturday   , with a defeat to Tyrone the following week highly likely , relegation would then be on the cards. I expect a very poor show in the championship ,  with a few depressing retirements at the end of the season the likes we'll never see again . It will be a dull dark gloomy period over the next two years . You'd have to think if Dublin win 7/8 in a row the county game itself might die altogether too.

You don't have to ask Mystic Meg what's ahead for Mayo. Championship wise a lot will depend on a lucky draw for how far we progress.  Mayo not qualifying for the Super 8 last year was a financial disaster for Corporate GAA. So Corporate GAA will do their best to make sure they are there this year.

The game is dead for all teams outside division One, and that's being nice to Cavan and Roscommon. It's even being nice to the other 5! Dublin roll on and we are told we need them to be big and powerful for the GAA to prosper financially. Problem is they need opponents and they don't have any. Dublin fans are getting bored. We are all getting bored. Great hopes of the last couple of years like, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and Monaghan, Donegal have come up short and are coming up shorter each year. Kerry because of tradition look like the best bet to topple the Dubs in the future and that in it own way is as depressing as total Dublin domination.

There is a lot more to championship football than just winning the All Ireland. Sport as in life can be about the journey not just the destination and i don't think some Mayo supporters appreciate the journey they have been on since Horan became manager the first time. Now park your dead talk and focus on the topic of the thread which is Div 1 league football.
why do you think the Mayo support has held up as well as it has if we idnt appreciate the journey . don't pay any attention to the moanbags on here from mayo some have ben predicting the end of the world since  horan came last time if not before.
some of mayo best matches have been ones they  ended up losing im thinking of Kerry in limerick  in particular and they lost  no glory or honour  and won a lot of fans in the process.
I would rather mayo lose with their dignity intact rather than go down the route of galway and try and bore every one to death despite possibly having the best set of forwards in the county
Not disputing we aren't the most exciting to watch at times but don't tell me you would give a flying f**k if Mayo won the AI playing similarly.

Galway went the Fancy Dan way for the guts of 15 years and had some really embarrassing years.  Many awful results went under the radar because they happened in obscure grounds in the backdoor.

It may be muck to watch, but Galway have got more big game experience in the last 3 years than they got in the 10 years before that. I suppose the issue is when do you come out of this shell?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2019, 09:38:09 PM

Galway went the Fancy Dan way for the guts of 15 years and had some really embarrassing years.  Many awful results went under the radar because they happened in obscure grounds in the backdoor.

It may be muck to watch, but Galway have got more big game experience in the last 3 years than they got in the 10 years before that. I suppose the issue is when do you come out of this shell?

Ní uasal agus íseal ach thuas seal agus thíos seal

We didn't have the players a lot of the time. Meath and Down
would be in that situation now
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2019, 05:26:22 PM
I heard a rumour that Galway might be moving the Ros game to Tuam.
Any truth or just wishful thinking by one of our crew???

I'd also heard a rumour that the venues for the Kerry and Ros games were going to be swapped around, as the dressing rooms mightn't be ready for the Kerry match. There should have been an announcement by now though to allow Kerry travelling fans the chance to make/change accommodation arrangements. 

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2019, 09:38:09 PM

I think its highly unlikely Galway change from last year, Kevin Walsh will be confident of beating everyone apart from Dublin playing this way. Galway did apply more pressure to Cluxton's kickout in the first half of the semi last year then they had done in the previous matches but Galway were out on their feet in the 2nd half.

We'll see what happens throughout the summer but I'm very confident that the panel is a lot stronger than last year, whether thats enough to go further I haven't a clue.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 15, 2019, 02:05:45 PM

I think its highly unlikely Galway change from last year, Kevin Walsh will be confident of beating everyone apart from Dublin playing this way. Galway did apply more pressure to Cluxton's kickout in the first half of the semi last year then they had done in the previous matches but Galway were out on their feet in the 2nd half.

We'll see what happens throughout the summer but I'm very confident that the panel is a lot stronger than last year, whether thats enough to go further I haven't a clue.

Is the only correct answer to the questions raised about teams and how they are going to fare in 2019. The amount of overreaction to the early league results (both good and bad) is crazy, it's mid February.

Crete Boom

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 14, 2019, 07:56:22 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 14, 2019, 05:01:22 PM

I think you're right there. There's a ceiling to Walsh's way of playing

He has given them a high floor to build off for whoever follows him in the job which didn't exist when he took over!
It is a fair achievement when you look at what happened to the likes of Cork and Meath when they let things drift!!