NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 03, 2019, 10:38:26 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on February 03, 2019, 10:26:52 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 03, 2019, 10:24:14 PM
I think it's going to be a struggle to stay up with tough away matches to come (I don't think Tyrone will be as bad by the time Round 7 comes along), realistically Galway have to win both remaining home games and see if that's enough. The way they are playing at the moment I don't see any points to be had in Monaghan next weekend.
It's not great at the minute but we'll have to reserve judgement until the summer is over, no point getting too up or down in the first week of February.

Enough going on to set alarm bells ringing though! We also don't have a consistent free taker, Shane Walsh misses as many as he scores, in all likelihood McHugh won't be playing come championship and he's inconsistent enough with them too.

Not sure we'll be able to read much from the league to be honest bar Kevin Walsh is not going to change. We might have 4 possibly 5 different forwards on the field in the Summer than we had against Dublin. A few more changes further back.

Think we have to win our two remaining home games because I don't see us picking up any points on the road.

Felt for Cooke the last day. Very good in the first half but was running on fumes by half time. Only for all the players unavailable I'm sure Walsh probably wouldn't be using him so much given his schedule.

McDaid and Sean Andy injury doubts now for Monaghan as well.

Sure it's only the league

Mayo on 4
5 teams on 2
Tyrone and Cavan on zero

apart from the dubs the teams are mediocre enough. Aithnionn ciarog ciarog eile

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-open-up-the-engine-and-leave-galway-standing-still-1.3780604
   "We were still well in the game at 0-9 to 0-6, but had 12 kicked turnovers in the second half, which is just unacceptable. Allowing Dublin counter-attack by kicking away so many stupid balls is going to put you under pressure. I'd be very unhappy with that, and also there was a stage when the goal went in, the reaction to that wouldn't have been that pleasing. We allowed them fetch a lot of ball in the air as well without contesting properly.

"We'll take the learnings from this. It's important that we look and say, 'What did we do well and what did we do poorly?' When the goal went in I have to say we wouldn't be happy that maybe defeat was accepted at that time. Maybe fatigue kicked in a bit, as I said we haven't as much work done, and losing Cillian McDaid at half-time was a big loss."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

I think it's going to be a struggle to stay up with tough away matches to come (I don't think Tyrone will be as bad by the time Round 7 comes along), realistically Galway have to win both remaining home games and see if that's enough. The way they are playing at the moment I don't see any points to be had in Monaghan next weekend.
It's not great at the minute but we'll have to reserve judgement until the summer is over, no point getting too up or down in the first week of February.

Enough going on to set alarm bells ringing though! We also don't have a consistent free taker, Shane Walsh misses as many as he scores, in all likelihood McHugh won't be playing come championship and he's inconsistent enough with them too.

Not sure we'll be able to read much from the league to be honest bar Kevin Walsh is not going to change. We might have 4 possibly 5 different forwards on the field in the Summer than we had against Dublin. A few more changes further back.

Think we have to win our two remaining home games because I don't see us picking up any points on the road.

Felt for Cooke the last day. Very good in the first half but was running on fumes by half time. Only for all the players unavailable I'm sure Walsh probably wouldn't be using him so much given his schedule.

McDaid and Sean Andy injury doubts now for Monaghan as well.

Once I saw the team and the bench I didn't expect anything else then a drubbing. Its the league and we all knew it would be a struggle with the players that are missing and where Galways fitness is at compared to last year. Duggan, Cooke & D'Arcy all played full games during the week and all ran out of steam early in the 2nd half.

Player wise there were a couple of positives in Cooke & McDaid. If Cooke continues to play like he did in the first half he has to start come the championship as does McDaid. McDaid needs games but given what I saw I think he can be a big player come the summer.

Duggan was woeful & Shane Walsh was far too quiet but it did look like they paid him special attention. O'Donnell looked far too slow when in possession whilst Cunningham looks like he can win his own ball but not overly comfortable when he has it, he's another one who needs a lot more matches.

Armstrong, Cunnane & Cooney are making up the numbers and won't be near the panel come the summer so it was nice touch bringing them all on in Croke Park.

Tactically if he's going to continue to play this way I just don't understand why more pressure isn't applied to the opposition when they head inside Galway's 45m line. There's no way near enough pressure applied to the man with the ball.

Whatever happens during the league I'll reserve judgement until the championship but I do think this is a very good panel when everyone is fit. When you consider McDaid & Silke and even Dylan Wall are back and the likes of Cooke & Molloy are a year older all combined with the year they had last year Galway then I expect them do better in the championship than in 2018. There's a lot of quality on the panel and the vast majority of the best players are aged under 25/26

Blowitupref

Are you expecting Galway to reach the All Ireland final then Maroon Manc?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2019, 11:45:24 AM

Fair enough but I guarantee it won't feel like that if we go back down into Division Two. Galway need to be showing a lot better by the 24th when Kerry come to Tuam.

Rossfan

Ros v Tyrone next Sunday Páirc de hÍde 2pm.
That will be 3 of last year's All Ireland semi Finalists plus the 2nd best team in Ireland in 4 successive weeks.
Heady days.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

QuoteRos v Tyrone next Sunday Páirc de hÍde 2pm.
That will be 3 of last year's All Ireland semi Finalists plus the 2nd best team in Ireland in 4 successive weeks.
Heady days.

When was the Ross A v B match?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Ball Hopper

Mayo on 4
5 teams on 2
Tyrone and Cavan on zero

Count again, economics boy.

seafoid

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 04, 2019, 05:54:50 PM

Mayo on 4
5 teams on 2
Tyrone and Cavan on zero

Count again, economics boy.
good man yourself
Doesn't change the fact that the teams are mediocre
Football is a mess
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2019, 11:41:49 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 03, 2019, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2019, 04:38:23 PM
What a fantastic win for the Rossies. Big scalp
That's it in a nutshell, every team will want to beat the team that beat the Dubs.
Especially Cavan

EPIC by PATRICK KAVANAGH, 1938

I have lived in important places, times
When great events were decided : who owned
That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.

I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul"
And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
"Here is the march along these iron stones."

That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was most important ? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said : I made the Iliad from such
A local row. Gods make their own importance.
However, it's Galway not Cavan who will be coming to fortress Gratton Park, Inniskeen, birth place of the great bard. The list of those counties who have come a cropper in Inniskeen is mighty, now its Galway's turn to face the epic chop.

TheMaster

Fair play Roscommon though needed the kerryman to dig them out of a hole yesterday.

Rossfan

Just an accident of birth. Pure Roscommon stock.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

Fergal Gavin's (Galway and Mountbellew Moylough) son Darren came on for Dublin on Saturday night actually, I believe he's fairly highly rated in Dublin according to reports locally.

Gael85

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 04, 2019, 09:48:08 PM
Fergal Gavin's (Galway and Mountbellew Moylough) son Darren came on for Dublin on Saturday night actually, I believe he's fairly highly rated in Dublin according to reports locally.

Yes Darren plays with Lucan Sarsfields. A bit of late developer. Came off the bench against Galway in u21 final two years and won man of the match award. Has plenty of pace but probably needs to fill out more. Could be a long term replacement for MDMA.

manfromdelmonte

The Dubs haven't been using the mark as Gavin knows come the championship they can handpass and solo teams to death on the break

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2019, 07:59:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2019, 11:41:49 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 03, 2019, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2019, 04:38:23 PM
What a fantastic win for the Rossies. Big scalp
That's it in a nutshell, every team will want to beat the team that beat the Dubs.
Especially Cavan

EPIC by PATRICK KAVANAGH, 1938

I have lived in important places, times
When great events were decided : who owned
That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.

I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul"
And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
"Here is the march along these iron stones."

That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was most important ? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said : I made the Iliad from such
A local row. Gods make their own importance.
However, it's Galway not Cavan who will be coming to fortress Gratton Park, Inniskeen, birth place of the great bard. The list of those counties who have come a cropper in Inniskeen is mighty, now its Galway's turn to face the epic chop.

Who can forget this classic the last time ye brought us to one of your many shitholes...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0212/852087-monaghan-and-cavan-play-out-uninspiring-stalemate/