RTE and SKY Live Coverage of GAA Championships 2014

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 18, 2011, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Would also have been ruled out had TV3 been showing the Ulster Football this Saturday. I'm sure the media won't make this a Sky v RTE thing  ::)

smort

I'm surprised the figures don't include HD viewers

AZOffaly

Quote from: smort on June 24, 2014, 12:13:28 PM
I'm surprised the figures don't include HD viewers

I didn't notice that before. Surely most Sky viewers are in HD at this stage. Maybe they can't count them because of the dual inputs to the TV or something?

smort

Yeah you would imagine most sky viewers are now using HD

Denn Forever

It'll  be fun this weekend  No Live GAA matches on TV unless you have Sky Sports.  Tullalmore will be packed.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 24, 2014, 02:30:16 PM
It'll  be fun this weekend  No Live GAA matches on TV unless you have Sky Sports.  Tullalmore will be packed.

I love the way Sky Sports are being blamed in some quarters. (Not by you Denn). I posted on the hurling thread, but Breaking News had a story that headlined "Sky deal means no TV slot for Kilkenny and Galway replay". In their own story they did decide to mention, by the way, that "RTÉ and TV3 would have been in the same position with their deal with the GAA in previous seasons."

What's not mentioned is, apparently, the GAA asked RTE if they would show it at 5pm, but they balked at that because they wanted to keep the Horse Racing and Soccer on RTE 1 and RTE 2, which is their prerogative obviously. RTE said they'd show it at 2.30, but the teams refused, which is their right.

But the spin is that somehow Sky are depriving the nation of a chance of seeing this game. It's fair annoying at this stage.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
But the spin is that somehow Sky are depriving the nation of a chance of seeing this game. It's fair annoying at this stage.

Sky are preventing it being shown at the time it on at. You'll have a few thousand watching the football on Sky, as against 100,000+ interested in the hurling.
They should just have arrangement things so  that each broadcast gets rights to a replay, whatever else is on at the time. Pot luck. 

There is also a small issue that although RTÉ have multiple stations, they would not allowed show a game on the news station etc because of government policy. That should be changed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on June 24, 2014, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 02:38:33 PM

Sky are preventing it being shown at the time it on at. You'll have a few thousand watching the football on Sky, as against 100,000+ interested in the hurling.
They should just have arrangement things so  that each broadcast gets rights to a replay, whatever else is on at the time. Pot luck. 

There is also a small issue that although RTÉ have multiple stations, they would not allowed show a game on the news station etc because of government policy. That should be changed.

Sky are NOT preventing it being shown in any other way than TV3 would have 'prevented' it being shown. There is a broadcast contract which says that only one game can be shown at a time on different channels. This is as much GAA as TV3, RTE or Sky.

I say again, the EXACT same situation could have arisen at any time over the last several years while TV3 had the rights to the same games Sky have now.

macdanger2

What channel is the Meath v Kildare game on??

AZOffaly

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 24, 2014, 03:41:13 PM

Actually, yeah, what are you on about? There's a double header on Sunday on RTE. Meath v Kildare and Wexford v Dublin.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 03:44:57 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 24, 2014, 03:41:13 PM

Actually, yeah, what are you on about? There's a double header on Sunday on RTE. Meath v Kildare and Wexford v Dublin.

The Sun must have some peoples' brains addled - or is it just a poor oul mountainy man who can't afford Sky letting off steam.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

means what he says...

AZOffaly

I don't know. BBC have a different agreement again. Is that what this is about? You're trying to blame Sky for the Galway game not being on TV?

BennyHarp

These are the sort of old unfounded nonsense statements that the anti Sky brigade love to spout and brainless bandwagon jumpers blindly repeat. As AZ rightly points out, Sky hasn't changed the landscape for this sort of situation occurring. It's also beginning to annoy me reading these viewing figures which are completely pointless unless you include those watching on HD and catch up and Sky plus.
That was never a square ball!!

Denn Forever

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 04:31:50 PM
I don't know. BBC have a different agreement again. Is that what this is about? You're trying to blame Sky for the Galway game not being on TV?

I'm just asking as it seems to be kinda like Rumsfeld's "Known  Unknowns"  RTE are missing a trick by not showing the Replay.
means what he says...