Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 10:03:29 PM
I'm this close to buying a load of Roscommon flags and climbing the Ballagh clubhouse and gluing them to the roof.
shove the flags up yer arse and put the glue on yer keyboard
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 27, 2013, 10:56:59 PM
I'm this close to buying a load of Roscommon flags and climbing the Ballagh clubhouse and gluing them to the roof.

The last resort of a losing cause.

Nathy's back in Lar's days:

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on August 27, 2013, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: spuds on August 27, 2013, 09:07:04 AM
And those brought up living in Ballaghaderreen are proud Mayo GAA people.
You say that like none in Ballagh are proud Roscommon GAA people?

The fact is some of the most proud Ros supporters are from Ballagh & when the big games comes along O'Hara coaches has no problem filling his buses with proud  rossies from Ballagh. Like Rossfan said a Ros club would have been set up in Ballagh decades ago if it wasn't for our lovely Leitrim,Galway neighbours.

So no case to be had & Lar can go on about his sheep,cats or whatever for as long as he likes. If  brought up living in Ballaghaderreen you are from Roscommon regardless of who you support or are proud of.
Something tells me that you may be taking what's posted on this board a biteen too seriously at times. I mean anyone who takes anything that Rossfan says to back up his point of view on anything at any time really needs to take a few deep breaths and go off on a short walk or slip into his local for a few pints or whatever helps to soothe his nerves.
Now, I am being serious here. (Stop sniggering, Rossfan.) ;D
I have no sympathy for any one who keeps whining that Ballagh club doesn't play its football in Roscommon. It's the democratic right of its members to make this decision or opt to continue its affiliation with Mayo and no amount of 'caterwauling' can disguise this fact.
It's inconceivable in this day and age that the cub would be forced into playing in Mayo against the wishes of its members.
I recall the time attempts were made to set up a junior club in the parish that would be affiliated with the Roscommon county board. A motion to this effect was put before the provincial council and yes, your 'lovely' neighbours voted against it.
Your not so lovely neighbour changed sides at the last minute and voted for the Roscommon motion when the result was beyond doubt. Maybe indeed some horse dealing went on between the counties who opposed this motion but its just as probable that Ross and Sligo were at it also.
About 20 years prior to this, (early 60s or thereabouts)  Roscommon county board appealed to the council to move Ballagh to Roscommon whether the club wanted to or not. At that time, all your of neighbours, whether lovely or not, opposed this forceful move.  If any of the 'proud Rossies' in Ballagh aren't happy with the current situation, the solution is in their own hands.
Let them put democracy to work by joining the club first and foremost and then when they have a majority of members who are willing to switch allegiances, they can set the procedure to do this in motion.
In the meantime, please stop the 'caterwauling."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on August 27, 2013, 10:56:59 PM

The last resort of a losing cause.

Nathy's back in Lar's days:

Well, eff you anyway! ;D
Now, I'll have nightmares tonight!

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 28, 2013, 01:32:36 AM

Something tells me that you may be taking what's posted on this board a biteen too seriously at times. I mean anyone who takes anything that Rossfan says to back up his point of view on anything at any time really needs to take a few deep breaths and go off on a short walk or slip into his local for a few pints or whatever helps to soothe his nerves.
I have no sympathy for any one who keeps whining that Ballagh club doesn't play its football in Roscommon. It's the democratic right of its members to make this decision or opt to continue its affiliation with Mayo and no amount of 'caterwauling' can disguise this fact.
It's inconceivable in this day and age that the cub would be forced into playing in Mayo against the wishes of its members.
I recall the time attempts were made to set up a junior club in the parish that would be affiliated with the Roscommon county board. A motion to this effect was put before the provincial council and yes, your 'lovely' neighbours voted against it.
Your not so lovely neighbour changed sides at the last minute and voted for the Roscommon motion when the result was beyond doubt. Maybe indeed some horse dealing went on between the counties who opposed this motion but its just as probable that Ross and Sligo were at it also.
About 20 years prior to this, (early 60s or thereabouts)  Roscommon county board appealed to the council to move Ballagh to Roscommon whether the club wanted to or not. At that time, all your of neighbours, whether lovely or not, opposed this forceful move.  If any of the 'proud Rossies' in Ballagh aren't happy with the current situation, the solution is in their own hands.
Let them put democracy to work by joining the club first and foremost and then when they have a majority of members who are willing to switch allegiances, they can set the procedure to do this in motion.

You know full well that Rossfan is spot on and where am i whining? the rest has already been well covered on this thread and elsewhere.

You need to read back and stop your own 'caterwauling."
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

I think we can all agree the Nathys' 1957 side was the greatest team to ever lift the Hogan Cup.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2013, 02:09:11 AM
I think we can all agree the Nathys' 1957 side was the greatest team to ever lift the Hogan Cup.
Well, I think we can all agree not to disagree at the very least. ;D
They had a fine side when Dermot Earley was in his final year and captained the team. They were odds-on favourites to beat Jarlath's in the Connacht final when Dermot got injured and was unable to play.
They lost narrowly and there's no doubt his absence made all the difference.

I hope to pay the dump town a visit this afternoon on my way to God's acre and I hope to drop into Durkin's and test the waters there. I don't expect there will be many there that peddle the same line of sh1te that I'm getting from Rossies on this board but only time will tell.
I expect to see loads of Rossie flags flying when I get there; the more the merrier. After all, the whole of Mayo will be rooting for yer little lambs next Sunday. We are a broad-minded race of people and are always willing to help our neighbours.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on August 28, 2013, 01:54:04 AM

You know full well that Rossfan is spot on and where am i whining? the rest has already been well covered on this thread and elsewhere.

Geez, Ross, you take offence rather easily. ;D
May I gently suggest that you go back and read what I wrote and decide for yourself if you are 'whining' or not.
That, btw, isn't Pope Lar speaking ex-cathedra; rather it's a decision made by the Connacht Council back in 1962 (or thereabouts). That, IIRC, is still the official position and no amount of obfuscation can hide this fact.
It's been 115 years since the Local Government Act (1898) altered the boundaries and moved Ballagh to Roscommon for civil administration purposes i.e. it was moved from one 'civil' county to another.
That term has no meaning in GAA administration affairs.
The majority of club members back then opted to remain affiliated with the Mayo County Board and obviously, that the position right now. They had every civil and moral right to do so in 1898 and the present members have the same rights also.
Ye have had 115 years to persuade enough members to vote for a switch to Roscommon and it's been over 50 years since the Connacht Council's landmark decision and still all ye do is go on an on  caterwauling at the moon.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 28, 2013, 01:13:02 PM

May I gently suggest that you go back and read what I wrote and decide for yourself if you are 'whining' or not.
That, btw, isn't Pope Lar speaking ex-cathedra; rather it's a decision made by the Connacht Council back in 1962 (or thereabouts). That, IIRC, is still the official position and no amount of obfuscation can hide this fact.
It's been 115 years since the Local Government Act (1898) altered the boundaries and moved Ballagh to Roscommon for civil administration purposes i.e. it was moved from one 'civil' county to another.
The majority of club members back then opted to remain affiliated with the Mayo County Board and obviously, that the position right now. They had every civil and moral right to do so in 1898 and the present members have the same rights also.
Ye have had 115 years to persuade enough members to vote for a switch to Roscommon and it's been over 50 years since the Connacht Council's landmark decision and still all ye do is go on an on  caterwauling at the moon.

Don't get everyone started on the West Side Mafia, Lar, you're not going to be happy about the picture that's painted.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2013, 01:20:52 PM

Don't get everyone started on the West Side Mafia, Lar, you're not going to be happy about the picture that's painted.
Arra, don't worry about me, Syf I know the drill well by now.
BTW, I'll be sporting the Rossie colours when I set out.
I always support any of my neighbours unless they're playing us.
I'll stick my primrose and blue pennants on the car and they'll be there till Sunday evening.
I really hope your laddeens win. I t would be great too see two Connacht teams in the final.
Well, we've shown the way and it's up to the Rossies to follow. ;D

ross4life

Lar its you that needs to read back on what i wrote.

I have no sympathy for any one who keeps whining that Ballagh club doesn't play its football in Roscommon.

We have 14 pages on this thread where am i whining about this situation? my point is... in the years ahead Ballagh footballers should have the choice to choose and for the record Ballagh is Ros town the current Mayo senior club champions and current Mayo senior county captain is from Roscommon no amount of caterwauling will change that fact.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on August 28, 2013, 05:21:51 PM

Lar its you that needs to read back on what i wrote.

I have no sympathy for any one who keeps whining that Ballagh club doesn't play its football in Roscommon.

We have 14 pages on this thread where am i whining about this situation? my point is... in the years ahead Ballagh footballers should have the choice to choose and for the record Ballagh is Ros town the current Mayo senior club champions and current Mayo senior county captain is from Roscommon no amount of caterwauling will change that fact.

Of course I agree with that but you are the only Rossie here that says it. I've said the same in an earlier post somewhere near the start of this topic. 
I guess I took you up wrong as I thought you agreed with the Gruesome Twosome that the Ballagh club should be forced to switch to Roscommon whether the members were willing or not.
You'd need to watch out for them pair of hoors; they'd start a row in a phone box! ;D

Tubberman

Like a dagger through the heart for Syferus ;)

Interview with Andy Moran on gaa.ie
http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1909130815-my-club-and-i-andy-moran/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, are you a Mayo man or a Roscomman man then?

Oh yeah, a Mayo man. It's amazing. Your identity is Mayo. In my family, my father is a Roscommon man and my mother is from Mayo. The games I used to go to, all my friends were from Mayo. I went to a lot of Mayo games and a lot of Roscommon games growing up. But my identity is totally Mayo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Andy, did you forget wearing the Primrose and Blue with big Mike Finneran for the ould soccer?  Where is your home-place? >:(

I'm sure Andy won't mind me revealing his dah won't ever shout for Mayo when they're playing but he'll shout for his Rossie son 8)

Don't know if I should cry or be proud when Sam arrives in Ballagh on Monday.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Tubberman on September 19, 2013, 09:11:08 AM
Like a dagger through the heart for Syferus ;)

Interview with Andy Moran on gaa.ie
http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1909130815-my-club-and-i-andy-moran/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, are you a Mayo man or a Roscomman man then?

Oh yeah, a Mayo man. It's amazing. Your identity is Mayo. In my family, my father is a Roscommon man and my mother is from Mayo. The games I used to go to, all my friends were from Mayo. I went to a lot of Mayo games and a lot of Roscommon games growing up. But my identity is totally Mayo.
Did Ballagh really win 3 in a row U21 titles from 2002 - 04?
Hasta la victoria siempre