O'Byrne Cup 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

Very happy with that.
Worked so hard; really impressive at times and kept meath on the back foot. Good energy in the middle third and didn't overdo the hand-passing with some good deliveries into Barry, evan and Moore.
I thought Kames finn put in a great shift. Excellent on the ball and always in the right place. A run of games will bring the best out of him.
Mark B, dillon, flynn all had good games too

Nice little laois crowd there and lots of positivity.

The PRO

Danny Bolger deserves a mention. Excellent first half. Trevor Collins was really solid too and James Finn put in a very good shift. O'Flynn is a ball of energy. Great to watch. Mark Barry looks to be settling in to being a starter now which is good to see. Alex Mohan was on a tricky customer and looked in trouble early on but he settled down well.

Spiritof86

Good win with some decent performances . No goals conceded very important. Defence much more stable and Collins may be a option in there . Dillon excellent I thought  and O'Flynn is very tasty .
Finn promising at midfield  but thought Lillis struggled a little even though he kicked a lovely point near the end . Forwards went very well in the first half . Thought P Kingston was quite throughout.
Early days yet and cementing D3 status and a championship win priority.

Chrimtain

I was very impressed by the hard work displayed by the Laois team against Mesth last night. A lot of guys have not committed this year, but if Billy and company can continue to get his team to play in that manner, this may be a decent year and the long term future may be bright. Its early days, but continue to play like this and those not committing may come back eventually and the supporters should also come back.

redsetanta

Wasn't there but very good performance by all accounts. They have redeemed themselves somewhat after the shambles against Wexford. All these games will do is give Billy and his selectors a better idea of his best 15/18 for the start of the league. That's where they will be judged.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

town1980

very good first half and our transition was alot better im not getting carried away we scored 3 points in the second half and they had 7 i think so meath had our number in the second half,,but i enjoyed the effort the players brought ,,and evan worked harder than he had been doing off the ball,enjoyable i would like to see us get through and play kildare for a better gauge meath had know where near there team from last year ,but a work man like performance for 35 mins

Robbo

Nobody would want to get carried away but nice ti have something to hang our hat on.

We're a Div 3 team.

Priority needs to be developing a younger panel with the right foundations. Hard work and honesty are as good a place as any to start.

Laois Rising

After last night's game I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking- Laois for Sam!!!

In all seriousness though it was a good response from the Wexford game. Granted, it was Meath's first game and once they clicked more into gear in the second half they looked a much better side. I like the set up that Billy is going with-he is not trying to put square pegs in round holes. Simple game plan that reflects the strengths of the footballers at our disposal. It was important that Laois recorded a victory in at least one of the O'Byrne Cup agames s I think the last time we recorded a victory was the Longford game in the Leinster championship a few years back. Gives the players confidence and something to build upon moving forward into the league. Getting James Finn back involved is also a major boast. Excellent footballing brain and good to move the ball quickly into the forward line. He probably didn't get utilised as he as could have when in with Laois previously.     

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Anyone know for certain what time tomorrows game v Wicklow is at?
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spiritof86

I'm certain it's 2pm Junior

town1980

Jesus billy billy Ross at just 40 it's time this ship has sailed thanks

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

Will be interesting to see how Alan Farrell goes at centre back. Could be a good move

The PRO

Quote from: Giovanni on January 15, 2022, 09:11:24 AM
Will be interesting to see how Alan Farrell goes at centre back. Could be a good move
Seems to be back from either injury or Covid. Hopefully his fitness levels are good enough.
Another start for Conall Brennan. The corner definitely didn't suit him down in Wexford so I hope he does better out on the wing.
It's definitely a more experimental team than Wednesday so hope they don't fold like the Wexford game.

Robbo

A really good response to the wexford game.

Not quite as sharp as Wednesday night but still very encouraging. Crucially it looks like we have a bit of depth to our panel. We got a great boost of the bench and ttheres definitely a sense that we have a system in place. Suits some players more than others.
Hopefully meath will hang on for the win as it'd be great to get another game in advance of the league starting.
But regardless, the o'Byrne cup has served us well so pretty happy.

Finally well done to both strafbally and crettyard.