Laois Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by SCFC, August 29, 2021, 11:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on November 01, 2021, 10:50:18 PM
Is there any reason Broady hasn't been starting all year? Seems absolute madness given his display at the weekend. Him starting the final will have a huge bearing on who wins it.
He was late back training this year, then when returned got a knock but in any case young O'Connell would not have been displaced this year had he stayed fit. He is a very good young keeper who learned a hell of a lot the hard way this year and I dont think its a given Brody starts the final.

High Fielder

No disrespect to anyone PK but it should be a no brainer. Brody is the best keeper in Laois imo. By a long way.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: High Fielder on November 02, 2021, 10:05:26 AM
No disrespect to anyone PK but it should be a no brainer. Brody is the best keeper in Laois imo. By a long way.
I agree he should start but I wouldn't bet on it if O'Connell is fit....

Laoiseabu

After the weekends viewing I would presume that Billy Sheehan would be looking at a good few Portlaoise and Portarlington players to make up the core of his panel but I've heard that some of the key Port players won't be committing to Laois next season . 90% of the other clubs in the senior championship really are not up to much at all . I thought Emo and Ballyroan were very very poor for two sides In a semi final .
Truth be told division 3 next year will probably see a lot of new blood ( unless we persist with Begley , Timmons , Dillon , Lillis , Ross, Oloughlin , Kingston, Walsh etc ) . A transition period awaits us very soon and it will unfortunately get worse before it gets better I think . No new players are really putting their hands up that already haven't been on the panel .
It's a tough one , do we persist with the same tried and trusted servants next year ? Or do we rebuild from scratch with youth and potentially end up in division 4 and go from there ?

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 02, 2021, 03:11:24 PM
After the weekends viewing I would presume that Billy Sheehan would be looking at a good few Portlaoise and Portarlington players to make up the core of his panel but I've heard that some of the key Port players won't be committing to Laois next season . 90% of the other clubs in the senior championship really are not up to much at all . I thought Emo and Ballyroan were very very poor for two sides In a semi final .
Truth be told division 3 next year will probably see a lot of new blood ( unless we persist with Begley , Timmons , Dillon , Lillis , Ross, Oloughlin , Kingston, Walsh etc ) . A transition period awaits us very soon and it will unfortunately get worse before it gets better I think . No new players are really putting their hands up that already haven't been on the panel .
It's a tough one , do we persist with the same tried and trusted servants next year ? Or do we rebuild from scratch with youth and potentially end up in division 4 and go from there ?

It would be a huge setback for Laois football and Billy Sheehan if a lot of the Port lads aren't going to commit this year. I would have hoped that the previous county players for Port (Murphy, Pigott, O'Sullivan and Byrne) would go back in, as they are all starting calibre players at their age and part of the core of our future. Then hopefully added to them you'd have the likes of Coffey, Ryan, Mohan, two Bennett's and Foster on the panel as well...

If a county the size of Laois can't get their best players to commit, then we're really at nothing. Sorry if that comes across as defeatist but it's the cold hard truth.

town1980

if kevin wants a final to his name he goes with  the best keeper who has the best influence on the pitch thats the ruthlesness of management ,,it will be graham in goals

SCFC

In a way Sheehan is in a really good position. The expectation levels are so low just now. I doubt anyone expects us to do much more than survive in Division 3 and possibly win a game or two in Leinster/qualifiers.

I don't think he can afford to discard all the veterans. Timmons, Donie and Lillis are among the best in the senior championship still. JOL probably still has something to offer. Begley is still decent but can't see him being a starter anymore.

Port had 4 lads on last year's squad - Pigott, O'Sullivan, Byrne and Colm Murphy. They could easily have a few more if they are prepared to commit. Portlaoise had Dillon, Lillis and Carroll and again if the likes of Saunders and Larkin were called up, it wouldn't be a surprise. Brody would be a huge addition if he was prepared to knuckle down.

From Emo and Ballyroan Abbey, I liked the look of Diarmuid Whelan, Scully and maybe Carroll, Owens, Hosey and Greene.

BA must be gutted. They just never got out of the blocks. Portlaoise have fairly turned around their year from losing the opening round to Courtwood! There's really nothing to say about the other game. Terrible conditions and Port were miles better but Emo keeper kept the game alive for a lot longer than it might have been.

High Fielder

Whoever shows up, go with younger players, even if that means dropping to Division 4. We have to start building, even if the foundations aren't great. I'd like to think whatever we put on the pitch should be competitive in Division 4. If that's not the case we really are fucked, and I have prepared myself for that possibility

BallyroanAbu

Unfortunately for O Connell, it may not be the fairest decision but Portlaoise have to start with Brody.  When he puts his mind to it his one of the best keepers in the Country.  I heard him at the Water Break it's just different level,  O Connell would be thereabouts with every other team in the County.  It's just Brody is that good.

portlaoisekid

I see Leinster council playing club semis in Croke park..some game changer for the teams to be playing there away from the normal muck and sh1ite at that time of year....

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 05, 2021, 11:53:21 AM
I see Leinster council playing club semis in Croke park..some game changer for the teams to be playing there away from the normal muck and sh1ite at that time of year....
That's a great incentive. Port or Portlaoise will be at home to Garrycastle or Lomans with the winner of that getting to play in Croker.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

town1980

after a physical battle im going for Portlaoise to win on sunday and ballyraon abbey to win the junior easily

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on November 05, 2021, 03:49:24 PM
That's a great incentive. Port or Portlaoise will be at home to Garrycastle or Lomans with the winner of that getting to play in Croker.

A game in Croker against more than likely Kilmacud Crokes . It could be a long 60mins for whoever gets there

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 10, 2021, 01:51:11 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on November 05, 2021, 03:49:24 PM

A game in Croker against more than likely Kilmacud Crokes . It could be a long 60mins for whoever gets there

Portarlington to beat Portlaoise by 2 on Sunday. I'd say it will be a low scoring game considering the time of year and the condition OMP is in, as well as the fact that both teams are strong defensively. Portlaoise will probably need someone like Larkin or Cahillane to score 1-2 in that full forward line if they are to win, but I think the Port backs are good enough to win their battles.

Laois Rising

This is the game that will go along way to determining if Larkin is worthy of a place on the intercounty team. If he can produce the goods in the final against a very strong Port full-back line then he must surely come into the reckoning. He has been a positive for Portlaoise this year and helped filled the hole left with Bruno's retirement from senior club football. Dillon at centre forward for Laois is an interesting prospect. Again, interested to see how he fares at the weekend, especially if man marked by a physically strong opponent like Piggott. For Port, Murphy at corner forward is probably their stand out forward of intercounty standard. His battle with potentially Gary Saunders will be an interest sub-plot in itself. Saunders has had an excellent year and very capable of stepping up to play intercounty next year as well. If the weather can stay dry and the pitch holds up, it should be a good advertisement for Laois football.