2010 BDO World Darts.

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 04, 2010, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 06, 2013, 10:04:56 PM
Ah, with the seeping of players to the other side. This competition is for Players who can be big fish in a small pool such as  O'se, King, Fritton etc. It's also a stepping stone for emerging talent who need to build up their confidence. Still as a person who likes Darts, i rather BBC coverage to Sky and the Lakeside looks to be a real homely venue!

That's the very worst part of it for me. It looks like they popped down the local leisure centre and are the warm-up act for one of Brendan Grace's smaller shows.

Really twee and unappealing to the majority of viewers and the BDO's adherence to that venue when they should have seized the day years ago and advanced the sport tells you everything about why the PDC exists. The sooner the PDC can buy out the BDO and reenergize the sport from county level up the better.

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on January 07, 2013, 02:03:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 06, 2013, 10:04:56 PM
Ah, with the seeping of players to the other side. This competition is for Players who can be big fish in a small pool such as  O'se, King, Fritton etc. It's also a stepping stone for emerging talent who need to build up their confidence. Still as a person who likes Darts, i rather BBC coverage to Sky and the Lakeside looks to be a real homely venue!

That's the very worst part of it for me. It looks like they popped down the local leisure centre and are the warm-up act for one of Brendan Grace's smaller shows.

Really twee and unappealing to the majority of viewers and the BDO's adherence to that venue when they should have seized the day years ago and advanced the sport tells you everything about why the PDC exists. The sooner the PDC can buy out the BDO and reenergize the sport from county level up the better.

See, I'd call these things mutually exclusive. The PDC was created with a sole purpose of to look after the interests of the elite. It is of course possible to do that while helping out the little man, but those actions are about as natural as clipping your toenails with a garden strimmer.

The BDO tournament has undoubtedly gotten stale to the point that it's becoming moribund.

It's really not helped by the fact that its opening rounds with low-80s averages take place right after the PDC final stages, with 100-averages the norm. It's not really comparing like with like, as the early rounds of the PDC are a much lower standard too (if not quite as low).

But the entertainment in darts is also about characters, and BBC/ESPN just don't seem to be able to produce/talk up/portray characters. It doesn't help again that the BDO tournament  is half made up of a cast who will never be seen again, and half made up with a group of fogies who prefer the staler environment.

It is kind of doomed.

Hound

BDO guaranteed a new world champion before the first round is even complete!

Cold tea

Bobby George doesnt help - he is a complete ballbag!

rodney trotter

Barneveld was playing BDO for years before making the move to PDC.

BDO is a mixed bag of good players and players who are BDO standard but not beyond that.

Hound

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 07, 2013, 02:36:40 PM
Barneveld was playing BDO for years before making the move to PDC.

In common with many players. I just looked up the top 16 in the PDC rankings to see how many have not played in the BDO world championships. I was expecting it to be very few, but its actually 6 (Lewis, Hamilton, Newton, Pipe, Nicholson, TJenkins).

upmonaghansayswe

Some good action last night, Fitton Bunting was a great game.. Shame it didnt go the distance.. Jason Cullen  throwing now.. Be nice to see an Irish man in the quarters..

All of a Sludden

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 09, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Jason Cullen  throwing now.. Be nice to see an Irish man in the quarters..

He has just hit his first 180, but his finishing has been terrible. His highest checkout of the tournament is 61.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 09, 2013, 06:57:41 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 09, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Jason Cullen  throwing now.. Be nice to see an Irish man in the quarters..

He has just hit his first 180, but his finishing has been terrible. His highest checkout of the tournament is 61.

61!.. Thats a modest number.. Looking like straight sets the way its going now.. Ya wouldn't think Jason is just 24!.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BennyHarp

That last set was brutal stuff
That was never a square ball!!

All of a Sludden

All over 7-1. It never really got going in fairness.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

From the Bunker

Ah, Tony O'Shea flopped. He was like a Bull all the way to the final, bulldozing past opponents. But this evening the occasion just got to him again.

bennydorano

Too easy for Scotty, he'd be more than fit for PDC, he's turned them down before, wonder was he looking the kudos of a World Title before jumping ship?