2010 BDO World Darts.

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 04, 2010, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Stephen Bunting joins the PDC, effective immediately

http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/o3p2t97uua0c1ntp1rcnjek2s/title/new-challenge-awaits-bunting-in-pdc

QuoteThe 28-year-old received the offer of a PDC Tour Card after winning through to the semi-finals of the recent Lakeside Championship, which he went on to win with a 7-4 sets victory over Alan Norris in the final.

That victory followed up his triumph in a second successive World Masters in October, while he also won six other Open events in his rise to number one on the BDO/WDF circuit last year.

However, Bunting has now opted to join the PDC's £7 million circuit, and will make his debut on the PDC ProTour in next month's UK Open Qualifiers in Wigan.

"It's been an absolutely massive decision for me to make and a very difficult decision," Bunting told www.pdc.tv in his first interview since making the move.

"I've been tearing my hair out for the last two weeks and my decision was only made last night, which shows how tough it was. I've always looked at the PDC and seen the money involved, and my family were a big influence in my decision - my son Toby was cheering, so it shows that the family are excited!

"I've loved my time in the BDO. I've won everything I can in the BDO now and was just looking for a new challenge.

"The Lakeside's a trophy that I've been chasing for so many years now. People used to ask me when I would be joining the PDC circuit, but I always said that I wanted to win Lakeside first, and now I've done it I think the time is right to make the switch over.

"If I was going to join the PDC, the best time to do it was as World Champion."

Bunting is also keen to test himself against the sport's biggest names - including 16-time World Champion Phil Taylor and new PDC World Champion Michael van Gerwen - week-in, week-out on the PDC circuit.

"Phil Taylor's been a fantastic ambassador for the sport for a lot of years and Michael van Gerwen's up there with him now, and I wanted a piece of that pie to be honest," he added.

"I know I'm good enough to compete with the likes of them, so I'm relishing the chance to take them on."

"It would be nice to qualify for all the TV events and then hopefully in the next few years I can break into the Premier League too.

"That's a big ambition. The thing that appeals to me more than anything about the Premier League is that there's a venue in Liverpool, and to play in front of my home crowd in the next few years would be absolutely amazing"

Syferus

Ouch. Time to pack 'er in, BDO.

Sidney

Sad to see Stephen retiring from darts at the very young age of 28. He had a lot to offer the game, but sadly we won't now get to see how good a player he could have become.

A real pity.

Archie Mitchell

bennydorano

Wes Newtown beat 3-1, he was in the PDC Premier League a few years back ffs! Andy Hamilton also back with BDO.

Boycey

Some rings on Wolfie's fingers.

Targetman

Great to see the real darts on!!!

LooseCannon

I may enter the Lakeside myself. I presume you just turn up after a couple of pints and pay a registration fee?
I reckon that I'd be decent.

Insane Bolt

Bullseye had better throwers😂

Targetman

Super smashing great, its on feckin Eurosport!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Targetman on January 06, 2019, 09:07:24 PM
Super smashing great, its on feckin Eurosport!!

It on Quest as well! Which is on free to air!

bennydorano

Andy Hamilton out as well. 3-0. No easy pickings for the ex PDC men.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bennydorano on January 07, 2019, 04:00:37 PM
Andy Hamilton out as well. 3-0. No easy pickings for the ex PDC men.

In that tournament before the Worlds back in October or November (World Grand Slam or something?) the BDO lads certainly didn't disgrace themselves. There's a lot more dross in the BDO but there's decent players too.

Boycey

Getting to the business end now, 1/4 finals on today. Really good match on now gone to a final set decider Unterbuchner vs Mandigers

bennydorano

Japanese winner of the Women's title, 4 dart average of 90 - probably would beat a high percentage of the men.