Paraic Duffy to Stand Down

Started by AZOffaly, October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 30, 2018, 09:15:11 PM
Serious question. If the GAA were losing money hand over fist every year, how would youse feel about it?

What about the inverse? If the GAA was raking in 400 mill a year from an exclusive sky sports deal  but players were buying themselves out of county contracts to play for a team that paid better how would you feel about it?

We can make straw man arguments all f**king day. Go back and find the post where anyone said we want the gaa to lose money every year. No one said that. All we're asking for the gaa to stop deciding everything on financial basis. The super 8, sky, pouring money into to Dublin etc. We can have a financially successful organisation with no values or a less successful organisation that holds true to Irish values.

I know what I want.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Real Talk on March 30, 2018, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2018, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 30, 2018, 09:15:11 PM
Serious question. If the GAA were losing money hand over fist every year, how would youse feel about it?

It's not a 'serious' question, rather a loaded one as the implication is quite obvious.

The GAA is not making profit simply because it is pumping stupid amounts of grant money into Dublin and likewise isn't forcing it to share its monsterously high level of sponsorship money so the question doesn't have much value in this debate.

Dublin are profitable because Gaelic football is a popular sport; it's not the other way round.

Who do you think should have applied/then got the job ?

Of the three candidates that had any actual chance of getting the job only Liam Sheedy wasn't already part of the machinery that has actively sought to create the even more lop-sided GAA we have gotten over the last ten to fifteen years. Who knows if he'd have the guts to make radical changes, but he's the only one who there was a more than zero chance of it happening under.

Orchard park

Liam sheedy of BoI the mercenary bankers who refused to acknowledge tracker rate injustices  and he only intererested in county hutling.

And part time rte analyst.......

Yeah real finger on the pulse  alright

AZOffaly

Liam Sheedy trains his club u21s and was on the sideline against us in a north tipperary u21 football B semi final. He's close enough to the coalface in fairness.

Rossfan

Mr Ryan has got the job.
How about the sensible posters giving him a chance to do it first.
The eejity ones will continue to blow bull.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2018, 11:17:34 AM
Mr Ryan has got the job.

Exactly. No point whinging now. Let's see what happens. I'm skeptical because it seems like a continuation of philosophy but sure give the man at least a chance before we go mad.

Rossfan

Orchard park

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2018, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2018, 11:17:34 AM
Mr Ryan has got the job.

Exactly. No point whinging now. Let's see what happens. I'm skeptical because it seems like a continuation of philosophy but sure give the man at least a chance before we go mad.

i think its a good appointment...........Business experience shouldn't be seen as such a negative, he;s active in his own adopted club so has a good feel from that end

hes not a national school teacher and hes not an ex co board / croke park committee blazer............ Mulvihill had that background and it worked out very well but Duffy had also and to my eyes was poor

thejuice

Anyone know what this "9 with, 9 without" approach to club games is about that they are doing in Monaghan. Supposedly Duffy has been behind it in some way. How does it work especially for clubs at Intermediate grade? I don't understand the thinking behind awarding 5 points for games with county players and 2 for games without.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Orchard park

Juice i read the article quickly and admit to not understanding it also............

Boycey

Quote from: thejuice on April 19, 2018, 02:20:22 PM
Anyone know what this "9 with, 9 without" approach to club games is about that they are doing in Monaghan. Supposedly Duffy has been behind it in some way. How does it work especially for clubs at Intermediate grade? I don't understand the thinking behind awarding 5 points for games with county players and 2 for games without.

I'm not sure Paraic was exactly 'behind' it but he was certainly on the committee that proposed it and craftily the Monaghan Co Board did get him to present it to the clubs probably enhancing its chances of getting voted through. It is as simple as it sounds all clubs in both senior and intermediate play half their games with their county players and half without, the junior league is untouched. The 5 point games with county players are to be played in two blocks, one which is being played currently (4 games) and one at the end (5 games) with the remaining 9 two pointers played in the middle.

There has been a reluctance from clubs in Monaghan to play without our county players bar 2/3 pre-agreed 'star' games as your place in the senior championship is dependant on staying in the senior league. Add to that Monaghan getting to the latter stages of the championship in recent times its left us playing a swathe of games in April/early May and club players then having possibly 3 games from then til August. There was also the knock on effect of another frenzy of football then in the Autumn with a championship to be played and half the league games still remaining.

I guess the 5 points for the games with county players is to entice clubs to play half their games without them.To be honest nobody knows whether this will work or not til its been tried but having initially being strongly against it having seen this years fixture list I'd be cautiously warming to it a little.

sligoman2

Genius move imo.  Allows club games to continue during the summer with a weighting system for games without all players.  Don't know how it would work in the championship, but it an interesting approach, I don't understand all the animosity towards Duffy.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Esmarelda

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 19, 2018, 03:08:49 PM

Genius move imo.  Allows club games to continue during the summer with a weighting system for games without all players.  Don't know how it would work in the championship, but it an interesting approach, I don't understand all the animosity towards Duffy.
This is something I don't understand, particularly when the CPA or journalists supporting them talk about this issue. Do club league games not continue without county players in all counties when the county team is still in the championship?

thejuice

I wasn't being critical, it's quite an imaginative solution and I'm surprised it's even got as far as being implemented.

I'd be open to any idea which has merit but I'm just curious how it works and if it's having the desired effect. What about clubs without county players. I'm sure it would be annoying to beat your local rivals but only get two points for it only for it. But I guess it's better than not playing games at all.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016