Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

The Trap

Adrian Cush    Eugene McKenna       Brian Dooher
Stephen O'Neill      Frank McGuigan     Peter Canavan

Is that ok?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2013, 11:20:36 AM
Can't believe what I'm reading from some people on here.
I can take Heffo's point that people from a players home county or club in my instance might be tougher on someone or see him in a different light but I really can't believe some people are saying Cush or even Cavlan were better players than Stevie.

Cush was a great player and often showed moments of brilliance but he never was really able to take on one or two men the way Canaan or Stevie did in my eyes. Agreed I never saw him much at club level but to me he was well down the list of players in Tyrone's top 10 forwards.

For me Canavan was the man. The way he used to even out jump taller markers and win his own ball. Then solo and dummy past several men as if they weren't there. Many days in Clones come to mind during the mind 90's and he really was unstoppable or at least so we thought until Meath removed him from the game.

Stevie I think maybe didn't have the same pace or acceleration that Canavan had to get away from men. He had more strength and always seemed to have people hanging out of him every time he won the ball. For me Canavan was more consistent with his shooting and rarely missed any chances he took. He'd always know his limitations and where he could shoot from, whereas I'd say Stevie had hit more wides over his career. Maybe I'm being very hard on him.
Memories of Canavan terrorising Derry & Down defences in the 90's sit well in the aul noggin.
It got to the stage that when he eventually lost the ball the other fans would cheer as it was so rare.
i agree with Fuzzman, as fantastic a player as stevie is, (one of the best forwards in the country over the past decade) Peter was without a doubt the best forward i have ever seen.
Over a prolonged period of time and particularly that era in the 90s mention he was just untouchable

boys like cush & cavlan, while being excellent footballers in thier own right, arent in the same league for me
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

Quote from: The Trap on April 19, 2013, 11:38:00 AM
Adrian Cush    Eugene McKenna       Brian Dooher
Stephen O'Neill      Frank McGuigan     Peter Canavan

Is that ok?

No

Sean Cavanagh
Brian McGuigan
Philip Jordan (Just to annoy the Our Ma wans)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rodman on April 16, 2013, 11:27:25 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2013, 10:59:19 AM
2 great points, but we could appreciate them even more with a bit of decent camera work.
RTE are outdated with their fixed point cameras. A moving camera that was in line with the ball would really capture the points in all their glory.

this is another element to something I brought up a year or two ago when we were discussing tv/video evidence on here.

with the modern age, there are web cams that could be positioned all alroung the structure of croke park (or any GAA stadium) - for croker I'd say just under the premium level slab.
3D type footage can be pieced together from the real time footage.

There may be more editing for GAA to do, but these pictures would give steaming users potential control over the angle and view of the game they want. This would have to be after game time as I am not sure that it would be technically viable to do so live.

it would also help adjudicate on contentious scores or foul play/off the ball incidents.

with the low cost of this equipment, all or main county stadia could have a certain amount of web/ip cameras.

GAA could sell the footage for a higher premium to rte/tv3/setanta etc (I guess there would be bigger profit margin if we supplied our own equipment and furnish media companies with the finished article (game footage).

IF SON could remain inj free for a season it would be fantastic to watch his repetoire of skills. He really is an score taking artist.

Gerard Cavlan was a sublime footballer but like many (prob myself included), couldnt beat psychological issues to enable him to play at the level he was very capable of.

Cavlan was a regular in the Tyrone team for 8+ years, probably the 2nd name on the team sheet after Canavan, and has an all Ireland medal in his back pocket so I'd argue he did play at the level he was capable of.
He may have played at the highest levels, but what I'm saying is that Cavlan didn't consistently play to the supreme standards of his abilities. Saw him as a minor and onwards. He was good, but I don't know why he never fully turned it on. Great player all the same.

Still for me the red arses list has to be topped by wee cranky Peter with SON vying with frank MCG  for second.
Canavan the better all rounder but for pure scoring accuracy I'd have to say I believe SON possibly the better sharpshooter. His range extended to either sideline whereas Canavans wasn't quite as far.

Neither as good as Paddy Bradley though ! ;)

theticklemister

Canavan was the man. I hate to admit it but he was. SON nowhere near canavan.

hows she cutting

there's no argument:

only one true God......

Main Street

I wouldn't know which God is the one true God.

Having the classy, superb O'Neill in the Tyrone line up, (one could argue) is the equivalent of lipstick on the pig.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on April 19, 2013, 02:17:31 PM
Having the classy, superb O'Neill in the Tyrone line up, (one could argue) is the equivalent of lipstick on the pig.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh and a Canavan fan here too.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on April 19, 2013, 02:17:31 PM

Yep, Clontibret knows all one needs to know about pigs!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2013, 11:20:36 AM
Can't believe what I'm reading from some people on here.
I can take Heffo's point that people from a players home county or club in my instance might be tougher on someone or see him in a different light but I really can't believe some people are saying Cush or even Cavlan were better players than Stevie.

Cush was a great player and often showed moments of brilliance but he never was really able to take on one or two men the way Canaan or Stevie did in my eyes. Agreed I never saw him much at club level but to me he was well down the list of players in Tyrone's top 10 forwards.

For me Canavan was the man. The way he used to even out jump taller markers and win his own ball. Then solo and dummy past several men as if they weren't there. Many days in Clones come to mind during the mind 90's and he really was unstoppable or at least so we thought until Meath removed him from the game.

Stevie I think maybe didn't have the same pace or acceleration that Canavan had to get away from men. He had more strength and always seemed to have people hanging out of him every time he won the ball. For me Canavan was more consistent with his shooting and rarely missed any chances he took. He'd always know his limitations and where he could shoot from, whereas I'd say Stevie had hit more wides over his career. Maybe I'm being very hard on him.
Memories of Canavan terrorising Derry & Down defences in the 90's sit well in the aul noggin.
It got to the stage that when he eventually lost the ball the other fans would cheer as it was so rare.

He twisted his ankle.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on April 21, 2013, 11:17:40 PM
He twisted his ankle.

Indeed, in much the same way as JFK took a creak in his neck in Dallas.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Or Steve Irwin goaded the stingray.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Our most surreal achievement was getting him sent off against Armagh in '05.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on April 22, 2013, 12:49:37 AM
Our most surreal achievement was getting him sent off against Armagh in '05.

Fcukin backfired on yiz ye basterds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.