Syferus

Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2018, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 05:12:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2018, 05:09:21 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 05:05:00 PM
Tricolour at Ireland game today with "I believe her" on it.  :o

Fair play. No need for faces.

Let the trial take it's course...I'd say same if the banner said 'don't believe her.'  was made by another fireside lawyer.

There is much more history with rape victims being treated with disbelief and less-than-subtle sexism - the idea of solidarity like that is to encourage victims to come forward; most rapes remain unreported.

The accused face no such hurdles. Drawing a straight line between the two sides misses the point.

encourage victims to come forward after the trial. Person with the banner no more knows his guilt or innocence than you do. Trial has a bit to go yet - is why jurors are told to listen to all the evidence before coming to  a decision

That's cute, but when the trial is over the hard part is done. The idea of solidarity is the exact opposite of what you're suggesting they do.

Guess what - we're not jurors, nor are those holding that flag.

Milltown Row2

Let the trial take it's course...I'd say same if the banner said 'don't believe her.'  was made by another fireside lawyer.

There is much more history with rape victims being treated with disbelief and less-than-subtle sexism - the idea of solidarity like that is to encourage victims to come forward; most rapes remain unreported.

The accused face no such hurdles. Drawing a straight line between the two sides misses the point.

encourage victims to come forward after the trial. Person with the banner no more knows his guilt or innocence than you do. Trial has a bit to go yet - is why jurors are told to listen to all the evidence before coming to  a decision

Nope save time and money and ask Syferus
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

A gobshite making up his/her mind having heard one side. Just as well he/she isn't on the jury.
As for the alleged victim having some physical injury we can wait for the old "very vigorous sex" line to be brought into play
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 10, 2018, 05:57:23 PM
A gobshite making up his/her mind having heard one side. Just as well he/she isn't on the jury.
As for the alleged victim having some physical injury we can wait for the old "very vigorous sex" line to be brought into play

I'd imagine if a rugby player was having sex with someone who's 7 half stone (this is random, nothing to do with case) that it could lead to some pain, especially if you're drunk and up for some wild stuff
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2018, 06:08:27 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 10, 2018, 05:57:23 PM

I'd imagine if a rugby player was having sex with someone who's 7 half stone (this is random, nothing to do with case) that it could lead to some pain, especially if you're drunk and up for some wild stuff

Christ.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2018, 05:44:42 PM

That's cute, but when the trial is over the hard part is done. The idea of solidarity is the exact opposite of what you're suggesting they do.

those holding flag are idiots

Syferus

Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 06:23:16 PM

Nope, but those that try to gloss over the fact rape victims are regularly and systematically marginalised and pretend that there is a simple equivalence between a sign saying "I beleive the victim" and "I believe the accused".. well, I'm being charitable if I say they're misguided.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2018, 06:33:32 PM

Nope, but those that try to gloss over the fact rape victims are regularly and systematically marginalised and pretend that there is a simple equivalence between a sign saying "I beleive the victim" and "I believe the accused".. well, I'm being charitable if I say they're misguided.

Until the verdict is delivered there is equivalence between both statements.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 10, 2018, 06:37:16 PM

And someone again tries to gloss over the context of rape trials and rape victims, instead comfortable to pretend this case can be looked at independent of the environment it originated from.

Rape is not a crime that comes without massive baggage and that seems to leave a lot of people here in a very uncomfortable position.

thebar

Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2018, 06:45:18 PM

And someone again tries to gloss over the context of rape trials and rape victims, instead comfortable to pretend this case can be looked at independent of the environment it originated from.

Rape is not a crime that comes without massive baggage and that seems to leave a lot of people here in a very uncomfortable position.

How come?

michaelg

The girl in the court case is alleging rape at present.  Until such times that the rugby players are convicted, she is not a rape victim.

Syferus

Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2018, 07:04:30 PM

The girl in the court case is alleging rape at present.  Until such times that the rugby players are convicted, she is not a rape victim.

..hence the 'believe' part of the flag.

longballin

Lets all go to next Ireland game wirh banners: 'I believe her' or 'I dont believe her'  Firesde lawyers

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 07:16:07 PM
Lets all go to next Ireland game wirh banners: 'I believe her' or 'I dont believe her'  Firesde lawyers

Or how about a flag with 'Syferous believes her'

longballin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 10, 2018, 07:18:28 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 10, 2018, 07:16:07 PM

Or how about a flag with 'Syferous believes her'

:D