The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 04, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 04, 2018, 06:52:10 PM
Any need for a Character Reference won't come into play until a conviction. In such circumstances Best and pals can have their say in an effort to influence the length of a sentence. If acquitted the former accused can ride away into the sunset. (no pun intended)

That's what I thought too - but doesn't that make Best's reason for going completely unbelievable?? He'll only need to give a character ref if they're guilty
I suppose he feels he must be seen to stand by a colleague in a time of difficulty.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

David McKeown

What's the reasoning for believing that only one of the seniors will cross examine the current witness?  Has that been confirmed anywhere?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

I thought Best's statement was an absolute disgrace. Even worse than his bad judgement in attending in the first place. If he was so concerned about getting the truth (a) I'm sure he can get full transcripts and (b) he'll only get to offer his character reference if they're found guilty. To me he's clearly bullshitting. It seems clear he didn't mention it to the IRFU and I'd say that he knew they'd stop him if he told them.

On the issue of their attendance - fair enough the girl may not have been able to see them but I'm sure she found out they were there and I'm also sure the jury saw them there. I dare say several members of the jury recognised Best at the very least.

I've lost any respect I had for Best. Whether these lads are guilty or not it was incredibly bad judgement to attend and then the follow up mealy mouthed statement was ten times worse.

The IRFU just come across as incompetent as usual.

seafoid

Best is a hooker and a farmer. He probably doesn't know much about PR or social  media momentum. The decision to go to the court was made independently but the IRFU had to manage the blowback with a huge match in 4 days. Tony O Reilly probably could have schmoozed the press but he is no longer on the team.
AnythinG Best said would be jumped on.And the match  And the social media. A total PR nightmare.

Kevin Myers and George Hook got caught up in social media outrages and got hurt.

In the old days the IRFU could have a word with the editor of the Irish Times...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 04, 2018, 11:43:53 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 04, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 04, 2018, 06:52:10 PM
Any need for a Character Reference won't come into play until a conviction. In such circumstances Best and pals can have their say in an effort to influence the length of a sentence. If acquitted the former accused can ride away into the sunset. (no pun intended)

That's what I thought too - but doesn't that make Best's reason for going completely unbelievable?? He'll only need to give a character ref if they're guilty
I suppose he feels he must be seen to stand by a colleague in a time of difficulty.

Is he a colleague or a friend?  If a friend you could see why he attended, a bit of the old " love the sinner not the sin" attitude. If a colleague from Ulster and Ireland then it is different.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Talk about losing sight of the court case, Best and Henderson will have no bearing on the case.. going was probably wrong but he's given his reasons, whether you care to believe him is up to you MS.. this trial will end horribly for everyone, except of course the lawyers..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2018, 08:53:18 AM
Best is a hooker and a farmer. He probably doesn't know much about PR or social  media momentum. The decision to go to the court was made independently but the IRFU had to manage the blowback with a huge match in 4 days. Tony O Reilly probably could have schmoozed the press but he is no longer on the team.
AnythinG Best said would be jumped on.And the match  And the social media. A total PR nightmare.

Kevin Myers and George Hook got caught up in social media outrages and got hurt.

In the old days the IRFU could have a word with the editor of the Irish Times...

Cop yourself on seafoid! Those two got what they deserved. The fact that (sadly) many appear to share their opinions doesn't validate them.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on February 04, 2018, 07:58:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 04, 2018, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 04, 2018, 07:32:17 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 04, 2018, 07:23:10 PM
What is the obsession with Best turning up?  Who cares who he believes? His friend is on trial therefore he turns up for him. No big deal.

It's because he's the captain of the Irish rugby team and had a match in France four days later. Really not that hard to figure out.

The last sentence of your reply is irrelevant. You have a canny knack of running down opinions which differ from yours.

Maybe I'm just dismissive of people who think an alleged rape victim was stupid because she didn't spend her Friday night constantly in fear of being raped.

Nrico2006 has a bit of a history when it comes to dismissing female victims of male violence, so forgive me for not taking his outage at how Rory Best has been criticised too seriously.

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2018, 07:46:25 PM
Yeahi thought that too. 4 days before the france game has nothing to do with it.

The four days before the France game thing has everything to do with it as it calls into question the role of the Irish management team and senior IRFU had in Best's (and Henderson's) decision to attend.

Wise up. Players can do what they want in their spare time, Best going to a trial has no impact on a rubgy match four days later. First time i heard that im dismissive of violence towards females, not that i give a rats ass what you or anyone else thinks.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

angermanagement

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
31m31 minutes ago
More
Re: Ireland and Ulster captain Rory Best's attendance last week Judge Patricia Smyth tells jury the only reason he was in court was because he was directed to be here by senior counsel

NAG1

Quote from: angermanagement on February 05, 2018, 12:53:58 PM
Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
31m31 minutes ago
More
Re: Ireland and Ulster captain Rory Best's attendance last week Judge Patricia Smyth tells jury the only reason he was in court was because he was directed to be here by senior counsel

That is going to throw the cat among the pigeons of those clamouring all over this at the weekend. I wonder will there be many retractions from some of the stuff spouted. I doubt it.

Itchy

Quote from: NAG1 on February 05, 2018, 12:56:19 PM
Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
31m31 minutes ago
More

That is going to throw the cat among the pigeons of those clamouring all over this at the weekend. I wonder will there be many retractions from some of the stuff spouted. I doubt it.

And there was me almost convinced that they only attended to hear both sides of the story and support a friend! He was there on the defenses request to either intimidate the accuser or effect the jury. If IRFU had any moral substance they'd get rid.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 05, 2018, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2018, 08:53:18 AM

Cop yourself on seafoid! Those two got what they deserved. The fact that (sadly) many appear to share their opinions doesn't validate them.
Myers may be insufferable but he did not deserve to lose his job .He was always pro Israel but the mob wanted a vicrim. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
31m31 minutes ago
More

I think you need to re-read what that tweet says.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2018, 01:47:02 PM
Frank Greaney

Verified account

@FrankGreaney
31m31 minutes ago
More

I think you need to re-read what that tweet says.

So the judge corroborates what Best said in his statement . . . why is there more outrage about this again this morning?

David McKeown

I think the bigger issue here is why did the Judge tell the jury anything.  As far as the law is concerned it's a public court room and would be perfectly entitled to attend the trial without comment from the bench.  I wonder did the jury ask specifically about his attendance.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner