Syria

Started by Trout, June 10, 2011, 09:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 22, 2013, 02:14:42 PM
Will this thread be used for discussion, or like the other middle east related threads on gaaboard, will it be a place solely for posting endlessss articles from elsewhere online?

For once I actually agree with you  ;)

give her dixie

Quote from: thebigfella on August 22, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
Will this thread be used for discussion, or like the other middle east related threads on gaaboard, will it be a place solely for posting endlessss articles from elsewhere online?

Discuss away lads....
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Nally Stand

Quote from: give her dixie on August 23, 2013, 02:31:54 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on August 22, 2013, 02:18:58 PM

Discuss away lads....

Tis no personal jibe dixie! I'm no expert on the topic, but i'd be interested in reading any discussion about it on here instead of reading articles from elsewhere just copied and pasted in, followed by another one, and another one, and another one....
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

So America are training the so called Syrian rebels. Positive development or not ?.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2014, 12:39:15 AM
So America are training the so called Syrian rebels. Positive development or not ?.

It won't be the first time they've trained Fundamental Muslimists and look where that got them.

seafoid

The government seems to be winning with the help of Hizbollah and the Iranians.
There will be great profits in reconstruction. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on May 28, 2014, 09:14:59 AM

It won't be the first time they've trained Fundamental Muslimists and look where that got them.

USA slow learners or else they just don't care.

There will be a lot of lives lost by the time they rebuild Syria. There already has been.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2014, 09:19:39 AM

There will be a lot of lives lost by the time they rebuild Syria. There already has been.

I think something should be done to stop what is happening in Syria however I think it is impossible for the US to do it so I think it is a mistake by Obama.

Do you have any opinion on what should be done on Syria yourself Orangeman ?
Should anything be done and, if so, who should do it ?

seafoid

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 28, 2014, 01:06:29 PM

I think something should be done to stop what is happening in Syria however I think it is impossible for the US to do it so I think it is a mistake by Obama.

the US is backing Qatar and Saudi who are funding the rebels but they seem to be losing.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2014, 01:31:03 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 28, 2014, 01:06:29 PM

the US is backing Qatar and Saudi who are funding the rebels but they seem to be losing.

I wasn't asking you. Let Orangeman answer the question.

give her dixie

Obama has been funding, arming and training the radical Islamic rebels for a few years now. War is big business to the US. Humanity doesnt come into it sadly.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

seafoid

Quote from: give her dixie on May 28, 2014, 01:47:31 PM
Obama has been funding, arming and training the radical Islamic rebels for a few years now. War is big business to the US. Humanity doesnt come into it sadly.
I think it's the only form of additional government spending tolerable to the Republican party.
Death and destruction are great for Raytheon etc 

Mike Sheehy

Does anyone want to actually have a discussion on Syria ? One that focuses on what should be done now and in the future.

Simplistic criticism of the US is all well and good but it won't achieve anything. What role should the UN play, should Russia or China attempt to do something or should the conflict just be allowed to take its course.

btw, this is a question for the board. There is no point in trying to have a rational discussion with those other two.

johnneycool

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 28, 2014, 02:57:20 PM
Does anyone want to actually have a discussion on Syria ? One that focuses on what should be done now and in the future.

Simplistic criticism of the US is all well and good but it won't achieve anything. What role should the UN play, should Russia or China attempt to do something or should the conflict just be allowed to take its course.

btw, this is a question for the board. There is no point in trying to have a rational discussion with those other two.

What can be done? Send in a UN peace keeping force, but who would that involve and how would the conflict ultimately resolve itself when the peacekeepers are removed.
Libya and Iraq are sectarian blood baths yet we all hailed democracy when the despot dictators were deposed by rebels, but democracy is still a long way off!

Why do the Arab league not do more or is there interests at work on both sides that we're not aware of? We only ever hear of Russia's self interests?

seafoid

they should have imposed an arms embargo 3 years ago. 
But it's probably too late. The rebels don't seem to have much popular support.
Jihad wouldn't be very popular in Ireland South either.