The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Archie Mitchell

Liverpool are the only ones who should have filled their stadium for them games. All the other 3 are renowned for getting poor crowds. Surely a know it all like yourself should have known that.

From the Bunker

Cup competition support over the last couple of years have been skank. English football is only a year or so away from Italy where nobody goes to matches.

As well as the 'Recession'. The following reasons are to blame

- Teams fielding 'B' teams in Domestic Cup Competitions
- Putting out 'B' teams against the top four to rest them for a game against the bottom three on the weekend
- Seeing your team qualify for the Europa Cup, only to discover that it is a hinderance to you staying in the premiership. So you will have to field 'B' teams in the competition.
- Ticket Prices of going to see Games
- The growing lack of feeling you belong to your Club
- The growing lack of Players feeling they belong to your Club
- The Monopoly of the BIG teams on Trophies and Champions League Places. Your club is only making up the numbers.
- The constant monothony of finising mid to lower table
- The lack of local players to identify with, within the club
- The (Millionaire) Players can't relate to the fans
- Better forms of entertainment to spend your good money on
- Work and family commitments for midweek games begining to take priority
- Game is on the Telly
- Too many games on the Telly
- The Romance of your club having a run in the Cup, finishing higher than last season, not the same in a world where a shiek can gate crash your club to the top.
- Don't want to watch average Journeymen players play negative football to get resuts week in week out.

anybody got more to add........

longrunsthefox

Apart from Portsmouth two years ago is invariably won by Arsenel, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool. In 70s and 80s used to be teams like Spurs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Southampton, West Ham, Coventry, Wimbeldon could win it as well as the superpowers... maybe you already said that  ::) but is what put me off it.

ross4life

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 15, 2010, 12:38:56 AM
Cup competition support over the last couple of years have been skank. English football is only a year or so away from Italy where nobody goes to matches.

As well as the 'Recession'. The following reasons are to blame

- Teams fielding 'B' teams in Domestic Cup Competitions
- Putting out 'B' teams against the top four to rest them for a game against the bottom three on the weekend
- Seeing your team qualify for the Europa Cup, only to discover that it is a hinderance to you staying in the premiership. So you will have to field 'B' teams in the competition.
- Ticket Prices of going to see Games
- The growing lack of feeling you belong to your Club
- The growing lack of Players feeling they belong to your Club
- The Monopoly of the BIG teams on Trophies and Champions League Places. Your club is only making up the numbers.
- The constant monothony of finising mid to lower table
- The lack of local players to identify with, within the club
- The (Millionaire) Players can't relate to the fans
- Better forms of entertainment to spend your good money on
- Work and family commitments for midweek games begining to take priority
- Game is on the Telly
- Too many games on the Telly
- The Romance of your club having a run in the Cup, finishing higher than last season, not the same in a world where a shiek can gate crash your club to the top.
- Don't want to watch average Journeymen players play negative football to get resuts week in week out.

anybody got more to add........

well done you answered my question a lot better than that other...........guy
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AFS

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 15, 2010, 12:45:41 AM
Apart from Portsmouth two years ago is invariably won by Arsenel, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool. In 70s and 80s used to be teams like Spurs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Southampton, West Ham, Coventry, Wimbeldon could win it as well as the superpowers... maybe you already said that  ::) but is what put me off it.

Wrong cup.

longrunsthefox

AFS

Well, Villa were playing in the League Cup tonight, so I'd assume that was the competition everyone was referring to when speaking about 'the cup'.

longrunsthefox

Maybe tho no-one ever really cared about the League-Milk-Rumbelows  :o Cup till it got to the final and that wasn't even on live in the 'old' days. Was always a Micky Mouse cup.   

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 14, 2010, 09:35:31 PM
I hear f**king Doogie Browser has Milner at 10s for first scorer. That boy's a first scorer genius I tell ye.
8) You know it makes sense!

Half and full time at 11/4 too  8)

Main Street

Is it necessary to report that Dunne had a very good game or are these things just understood.

I don't know how he scrambled backwards and got his head to that inswinger, when all the odds favoured the forward.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2010, 12:42:57 PM
Is it necessary to report that Dunne had a very good game or are these things just understood.

I don't know how he scrambled backwards and got his head to that inswinger, when all the odds favoured the forward.
It goes without saying these days, IMO the best centre half in the league currently.

boojangles

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 15, 2010, 12:56:31 PM

It goes without saying these days, IMO the best centre half in the league currently.

Only a mad man or a Man U supporter would argue that point.Miles ahead of any defender and has scored 3 league goals on top of that. Top scoring defender in the Fantasy League too and has been all season.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: boojangles on January 15, 2010, 01:09:23 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 15, 2010, 12:56:31 PM

[/quoteOnly a mad man or a Man U supporter would argue that point.Miles ahead of any defender and has scored 3 league goals on top of that. Top scoring defender in the Fantasy League too and has been all season.

Boo thats a bit harsh. I am both of the above but would say that he has been easily the best CH this season. He is playing with a lot of concentration. Little or no mistakes which in the past he has been known for. Its great to see.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AFS

Pity Ireland don't need him for another nine months or so.

Family guy

A friend had milner to score first and villa win 1 0,was a nice wee 50/1 price,think he only had a fiver on it but nice all the same

Hopefully Villa get a much needed three points on sunday as well