The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

AFS

I don't think the lack of ambition argument holds up. Given the amount of money they are reported to have and the names they've been linked to, I reckon City are far more likely to make the breakthrough and challenge the big four than Villa are. Villa appear to have hit their glass ceiling. Good move by Barry.

Archie Mitchell

What's the difference to what City are doing now and what Chelsea have been doing for the previous 4-5 years, add to the fact that Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have been doing for years?

Is the so called "big four" now threatened by City's new found wealth?

As a City fan, i'm taking everything with a pinch of salt. We have been linked with over 80 top class players since the takeover. Some will come, some wont. If City do spend big this summer, get in the 5/6 players they say they are getting and do have a good season, possible qualification for Europe, win a cup or 2, who then will be doubting Barry's move? Fair enough he is taking a step down from Villa going by last season, but he said himself he wants a new challenge and this is the challenge he is getting with City. City IMHO have the best chance of breaking the top 4 the next few years, partly due to the fact that other teams can't compete with them financially. Though saying and doing are 2 different things, particulary when City are involved.

nrico2006

Archie I would hardly bracket United, Arsenal and Liverpool in with what Chelsea have been doing for the past 4-5 years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

Add to the fact that Chelsea  had won the FA Cup, League Cup, Cup Winners Cup and played Champions League football before The Russian bankrolled them.

City have done nothing in comparison to that recently or before the Arabs came in.

Archie Mitchell

I didn't mean that United, Arsenal and Liverpool have been spending to the extent of Chelsea over the past 4-5 years. Over a longer period of time, these teams have been capable of spending big, no other teams could compete which is why it has been the same top 4 for years. Teams that tried to spend big and compete and had limited success were Blackburn, Newcastle and Leeds. There is always going to be someone knocking on the door and recently it has been Spurs and City. If you have the money, why not?  

DennistheMenace

How has it been Spurs and City knocking on the door ?

Spurs finished 8th and 11th in last two season

City 9thin both occasions, roughly 20 points behind 4th place.

If anything it has been those teams Villa/Everton who have a more stable squad and spending less than have been 'knocking on the door'..

Archie Mitchell

I mean financially. They are spending heavily to try and get up there. Spurs are one of the top spenders regarding transfers. Spurs had a few good years finishing 5th, went Pete Tong for a few years and showed some stability this season, all due to the fact that Harry was able to buy the players he wanted. It takes time for a manager to build a squad he wants in order to get the right results on the pitch. Look what Hughes did with Blackburn on a limited budget. It took him a few years, got them as far as he could take them then left. Whats the difference in that situation than Gareth Barry's. he felt he reached the end of the line with Villa and wanted a new challenge.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 03, 2009, 06:15:31 PM
I didn't mean that United, Arsenal and Liverpool have been spending to the extent of Chelsea over the past 4-5 years. Over a longer period of time, these teams have been capable of spending big, no other teams could compete which is why it has been the same top 4 for years. Teams that tried to spend big and compete and had limited success were Blackburn, Newcastle and Leeds. There is always going to be someone knocking on the door and recently it has been Spurs and City. If you have the money, why not?  

Chelsea have not spent big over the last 4 or 5 years. They spent big the first two years or so that Roman came in, since then spending has been fairly modest, and some summers have resulted in transfer profits.

However... you're right. The big four, or maybe three, are threatened. The same way as the they were when Chelsea gatecrashed the party. They don't like it. Don't worry about the consequences too much Archie... just enjoy the ride.

Finally... get your own thread. Doogie and the Villa posse will huff.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Family guy

Fair play to gareth barry he did the right thing,just hope mon can add to the squad to keep young milner and gabby happy,hopefuli a few good signings we can take another step forward,hopefuli sidwel can step up to the spot barry held,wud love to see them sign few exciting players,classy centre forward and world class midfielder

charlie stubbs

the timing of the move surprises me thought he would have waited for arsenal or liverpool(even chelsea where linked with him few summers back) to try and get the cleague footy he craves ::)

lurganblue

Right is it just me or should mon be starting to get his finger out? I'm seeing other clubs strengthening their squads over the last few weeks but not us! Are villa going to be left behind? It was clear we needed more depth at the end of last year but nothing has been done about it. We don't seem to even be linked with anyone of note???

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: lurganblue on July 01, 2009, 09:14:04 PM
Right is it just me or should mon be starting to get his finger out? I'm seeing other clubs strengthening their squads over the last few weeks but not us! Are villa going to be left behind? It was clear we needed more depth at the end of last year but nothing has been done about it. We don't seem to even be linked with anyone of note???

I was in Birmingham over the weekend, and a lot of the local papers had letters from fans with similar worries that you have. Urging O'Neill to get buying. Quick.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

DennistheMenace

It isn't like O'Neill to splash big though is it ?

They clearly need to bolster their squad that failed them in their CL quest last season.

lurganblue

He certainly doesn't splash twenty million on one player but he did spend ten on milner. I think the main priority is to replace laursen and Barry. Personally I think a top quality centre half should be first.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: lurganblue on July 02, 2009, 08:35:37 AM
He certainly doesn't splash twenty million on one player but he did spend ten on milner. I think the main priority is to replace laursen and Barry. Personally I think a top quality centre half should be first.

Use are linked with Titus Bramble this morning.